1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon Working With Dwight Howard and Jeremy Lin in Aspen, Colorado

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Razsan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Thats certainly why Lin is there. To figure out how to get Dwight the ball.
    He wants to be on the same page with what Dwight is trying to do. Hopefully Lin can help Dwight with what Hakeem is teaching too. Exciting to think about, Lin is a smart player, good to have your point really down with what you are trying to accomplish (Dwight learning some Hakeem stuff).

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Thanks dwighthoward for a few days of great workouts in Aspen!! Headed back home now! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23maroonbells&amp;src=hash">#maroonbells</a> <a href="http://t.co/IYfaMFEQmX">http://t.co/IYfaMFEQmX</a></p>&mdash; Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) <a href="https://twitter.com/JLin7/statuses/378253830317932544">September 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[​IMG]

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have gone back and forth on Lin and largely stayed out of the Lin debate on this board. I do have a feeling though that he is going to have a nice year. No reason to think he can't improve his shot (just keeping it where it was the second half of last year will work). I think he will post a 15/7/3/2 line this year.

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/ShawnKetchens">@ShawnKetchens</a> great me jlin Mchale and dream jus finished</p>&mdash; Dwight Howard (@DwightHoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward/statuses/378240007170826240">September 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/GoRockets7">@GoRockets7</a> everything pick n roll post ups shooting.</p>&mdash; Dwight Howard (@DwightHoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward/statuses/378256167706714112">September 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1) Because Harden likes to play point and runs the pick and roll much better than Lin. Unless something changes with Harden, I don't see this changing. It does not matter if Lin is a better point as Harden is our star. If he wants the ball, he gets the ball.

2) Dwight Howard has said himself that he prefers to post up more. Until he proves that he can't, that will further limit the amount of touches available outside of Harden and Howard.

It has nothing to do with training camp or having rookies man point. That was not why Harden handled the ball and played point so much. The fact that we will have a full camp with more experience does not change the fact that Harden prefers to have the ball and control the offense. Until that changes, Lin is a very expensive spot shooter at the PG position.

7. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Didn't know McHale is there too. This is definitely a good sign for all parties at stake.

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

when are they gonna post videos of this or any of the LA workouts from over a month ago???

9. Play07

Play07 Member

1. still can't comprehend that Howard is a STAR also and said in recent interview he hopes to create #dwinsanity with Howard in pick and roll with Lin

2. Howard, lin, dream, Mchale, coaching staff go to aspen to work out together and practice pick and roll

it's clear Mchale, coaching staff, morey, Howard want to let Lin run the offense this year with also keeping harden involved also, Lin won't be sitting in the corner waiting for spot up 3 things have changed, get used to it

2 people like this.
  10. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Agree. Keep making Lin like no value isn't going to benefit the team. Also, Howard will loves to be pick and roll finisher with Lin.:cool:

1 person likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This was never the case anyway so nothing for anyone to get used to.

And I think you are making a huge leap by equating that since these guys worked together there is an organization wide movement to have Lin run the offense. I guarantee Harden still controls the ball more than Lin, but despite what some believe about last season, it won't be ALL the time with Lin just living in the corner. That was never the case and it won't be the case this season either. Both will get their opportunities, but Harden will have more.

1 person likes this.
  12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I don't get the issue about letting Lin take on more of the offensively workload. His most damaging time in the NBA was with Tyson Chandler, who I think we'd all agree is an inferior pick and roll threat to Dwight Howard, regardless of Howards supposed disdain for being the roll man, do we really think we can just run Harden into the ground like we did last season? his minutes were too high and we saw a very noticeable dropoff in the last third of the season.

This isn't about Harden presenting a better duo with Dwight, this (should be) obvious. This is about the fact we need Lin to step up and assume more of the responsibility in order to make sure that we actually have something left of Harden come playoff time

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

1. Howard is not the only star. I would argue that what Harden ultimately wants would be more important as he is our primary scorer and not Howard or Lin.

2. So...? PnR is always something good to practice with, especially since it is such a huge weapon. If Howard has a practice with only McHale, Dream, and Beverly, are you going to say something stupid like "Oh Pat is going to be running PnR with Dwight now!"

Our coaching and staff didn't want Harden to play hero ball so much either last season. How did that work out? It all depends on what Harden is ultimately feeling as our primary playmaker unless you think McHale will do something as stupid as benching Harden for not letting Lin play point more.

I am not against Lin running the point more. I am just skeptical that it will happen. Again, it has nothing to do with Lin's abilities but rather Harden likes to handle the ball more and manning the point. With Howard joining the Rockets, there is even less possessions to go around. The ball needs to be available for Lin to step up. I personally would love for Harden to re-discover his off-ball slashing game again.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Only fake fans care about "value." The rest of us are only concerned with winning. ;)

15. formido

formido Member

Morey has said repeatedly this off-season that Lin was the 5th best pick-and-roll player in the NBA last year.

1 person likes this.
  16. afk

afk Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/GoRockets7">@GoRockets7</a> everything pick n roll post ups shooting.</p>&mdash; Dwight Howard (@DwightHoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward/statuses/378256167706714112">September 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Wait... shooting?! :eek:

17. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Winning = Linning :)

18. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Lin got his own work out with Dwight...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Play07

Play07 Member

I like Harden just as much as I like Lin, but any coach knows that Lin should handle the ball more as a proven PG, LIN had the highest number of assist to ASIK last year and given that he only handled the ball 20-30% of the time. Why wouldn't you want him to feed Howard? Lin is the best in lane and transition passer on the team also if you know basketball then you will agree.

Harden is a knock down shooter deadly at getting to the lane getting to the free throw line and can knock down the FTs at a high percentage. That workers for us last year by getting to the playoffs for the first Time in awhile. One could argue he never passes to ASIK because he couldn't catch the ball well LIN figured out a way to still get it done. sobnow that we have Howard it should be easy. Harden can still drive and its just good to have a threat that either can always kick or give it to harden also I mean we have the total package going on this year basically.

We didn't go crazy all summer and get excited to just let harden drive get fouled all the Time and run the same offense. If I was Howard I would get mad and feel like I picked the wrong team. This could lead to problems that would be same situation with Kobe. if the rockets play TEAM ball parson, Lin, harden, Howard whoever at PF ( WISH WE STILL HAD PATTERSON yes ! WISH WE STILL HAD PATTERSON) but jones or dmo ASIK should still be fine we have no reason to not make it to the finals if Mchale gets his stuff together

20. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Well at least we'll see some good alley oops this year. Just remembering early last season Lin and Harden trying to oop to Asik only for him to completely miss the pass was painful.