1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon Working With Dwight Howard and Jeremy Lin in Aspen, Colorado

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Razsan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Still Olajuwon's newly accepted position in the franchise is to work with Houston bigs, I wonder if he will be there for training camp. Or if he will skip it since he's not full time staff and has other commitments around the globe that take up his availability.

2. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

3. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

4. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Damn! Dwight lookin' swole then a mofo! Beast.

5. timyeung

timyeung Member

So Awesome to hear they are working out together.
    High hopes for the team this year!

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

lets get Hakeem to play some back up PF

he can get us 6 points and 5 rebs in 20 mins of playing time. Set some good screens, get loose balls, some hard fouls on pesky penetrators and be a good team mate for practice

get er done Morey!

7. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Good thought, but Hakeem was actually "too" clean when he played, always going for the clean block or the steal instead of the hard foul. It actually hurt him when he guarded Shaq (the smart play was often to either let him go or wrap him up).

8. autoprt

autoprt Member

good to see, can only make the rockets a stronger team early on.

9. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

That workout happened on Sunday?

10. Convictedstupid

No that video the rockets posted was from 2011.

11. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

all we need Hakeem to do is play like Kurt Thomas and we are all set

12. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

So how about bringing out Yao from early retirement for backup center and starting PF? He's got the long 2 stroke DOWN and hits free throws at 80+%; not to mention pretty much no other PF can realistically block his jumpers and maybe even fadeaways.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The haters are gonna end up making Jeremy Lin my favorite player in the league.

14. SeabrookMiglla

i noticed very early on that lin has great lobbing ability, so i think the chemistry between dwight and lin could be very good. its going to be nutz seeing howard working the PNR with harden and lin. dwight may be exactly what this team needs to fill the gap that was apparent between harden and lin, i expect howard will fill that void.

15. 4TT1L4

4TT1L4 Member

Guys, do you know if Hakeem is going to work with Dmo? Or only with Asik and Dwight?

16. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

EWWWWW :p

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hakeem is going to be added to the staff as a full time employee, but will probably only be in Houston for part of the season. I dont know exactly when, but Hakeem will probably have to be in Jordan for large chunks of the year.

I would assume when he is here, he will work with all the Rockets bigs... D-Mo and Asik included.

However, I think that with some of these young bigs, learning the basics is more valuable at this point than learning the icing on the cake that Hakeem brings at this point in their careers. Those foundational skills might be best taught from the original Rockets big man coach Carroll Dawson and McHale himself.

Howard is the key target for Hakeem. His game is such that he needs to be more fluid in his movements, and will have to expand his game if he wants to play alongside Asik.

D-Mo, and Asik probably need more Carroll Dawson than Hakeem right now. Not to say that they wont learn anything from Dream though.

18. steady

steady Member

Came across a 2010 Interview with Lin's high school coach Pete Diepenbrock. Made me wish we would see a little more Lin play making this year. Maybe PnR with D12 will provide some chances for that.

"His game is running the show.
    His strength is being the leader, and making the decisions for the team.
    I mean, that’s his number one strength. Is decision making out there. He just has an incredible feel for the game. He knows what needs to be done, .. every time."

19. steady

steady Member

20. steady

steady Member

warning: this is an amateurish interview. very informal. before Lin every played in NBA. in a way that's what makes it interesting.