1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon:Quadruple Double

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 21, 2015.

?

Will a Rocket get a Quad double next season?

1. Yes - Harden

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Yes - Dwight

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. No

71 vote(s)
    85.5%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GFNUk4BgyL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Rare feat .... If you asked me if anyone in the NBA was going to get one the answer would probably be No.

The one person who has a shot at the feat once in his career is Anthony Davis. He may do it once in a 15 year span ....

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

People like to make a big deal of Anthony Davis. But AD is still yet to have a blocks/per season better than Hakeem's career average of 3.1 blk/game

4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I read somewhere by a bunch of posters that Tim Duncan had some beastly quadruple double. Like 25pts/20rebounds/10assist/10 blocks

But the NBA forgot to record a few blocks or something lol

5. SemisolidSnake

Only 4 players in official NBA history have recorded quadruple-doubles: Nate Thurmond, Alvin Robertson, Hakeem, and David Robinson. Hakeem arguably had a second quadruple-double depending on whether you ask the league or the official scorekeepers of that game. The league said no. Dream said "Okay, I'll just do it for sure in a couple of weeks." And he did.

Only one of those came with double digits in points-rebounds-assists-steals: Robertson's. The others got their fourth column with blocks.

Interestingly, there have been 8 quad-doubles missed by a single count in one column. Clyde Drexler is the only one to have two listings in that group, and they are 10 years apart (1986, 1996). Clyde was a lot more special than I think many people remember.

Even with the Rockets' history players of putting up incredible numbers, they isn't any way either of our stars are doing it. Interestingly the only person in the "almost group" to have double digits in blocks was Hakeem with his controversial not-quad. Everyone else there had no blocks in the games where they were one away. Robinson was the last to make a quad and that was over years ago in 1994.

Harden can get triple-doubles all day long, but as a guard, he won't be filling out the blocks column, and it'd be a miracle for him or almost any player nowadays to get 10 steals in a game. Dwight can double-double every game, but 10-block games are very scarce nowadays, and Dwight isn't exactly a heavy assister or stealer.

Who knows if it can even happen anymore with the way the game has changed? I'd certainly put all my money on Lebron if there's to be a chance of it happening in modern times.

Source: See here.

1 person likes this.
  6. arubato

arubato Member

Yes. Josh Smith.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Clyde was considered neck and neck without Jordan until Jordan destroyed him in the finals.

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

It'd be more interesting poll if OP could change the question to "Will an NBA player get a Quad double next 10 seasons"?

9. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

Harden can do it if Turnovers count.

10. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

11. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Honestly, I think Clyde's braodcasting has hurt a lot of Rocket fans' memories of him. Not in a vindictive way, but I just see him as more of a dope now haha.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Or non memories of him. Newer fans think he plays like his personality, same with kenny and charles.

The majority of people here think all kenny did was sit at the line and jack up 3s.

Even worse for charles. I think barkley got 33 rebounds in a game for thr rockets once

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Will we see a player get 20-20-20?

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Between the two, Harden has a better chance of getting it in Pts/Asts/Rebs/Stls...

...and I use the word chance as below...

[​IMG]

15. ibm

ibm Member

yeah. exactly the way i feel.

16. ibm

ibm Member

haha, that's why people say stuff like "harden is the new drexler or already surpassed him", or "shut up kenny", or "all barkley does is talk", etc.

17. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Will we ever see a quintuple double? I hope in my lifetime I see one.

10 points
    10 rebounds
    10 assists
    10 steals
    10 blocks

The game would more than likely have to go to 3-4 OT's.

Out of those 4 that got a quadruple double how many were close to a quintuple double?

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Barkley was a beast. He was similar to LeBron actually. Not as good of a passer. But a superior rebounder

19. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The block is the hardest one to get. And then the steal. The player has to be an amazing defender and incredibly athletic to do that and get the rebounds.

And then he has to be good enough on offense to get the assists.

10 points is easy.

Of all the players I have watched, if I had to place a bet on any, I would have done it on these three...

Hakeem, KG, and Pippen.

They had the physical tools to possibly do it.

Pippen would fail because he is a douchebag.

Hakeem would be the favorite because he is actually on the All time Top 10 in steals and blocks.