1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon Quadruple Double Highlight reel

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

True but it is fun to recall the good times. :D

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

How many Quad-Dubs have been recorded in the entire history of the NBA?

3. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

how? 10 steals?

4. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

4 times. Wiki it up. David Robinson did it too . 34 pts .10rb.10 asst.10 blks. I think it's a little more impressive than Olaujuwon who had 18 pts. 16rb. 10 asst. 11 blks.

Too bad Olajuwon couldve been the only player to have two quads. :mad:

5. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

It's absolutely amazing to just watch Hakeem play.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

What about this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3889674

Sounds like a double standard, even though both players got screwed by it.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There's a lot of inaccuracies and subjectivity that goes into a box score, though. The NBA could literally go back to every game and change the stats. There's an interesting thread over at the APBRmetrics board on the inaccuracies in scorekeeping/boxscores.

http://sonicscentral.com/apbrmetrics/viewtopic.php?t=2269&sid=b6b123e02a90cfd5fe5d3380b05d6c42

Anyway, I guess the NBA feels more comfortable going back and taking away a stat then going back and adding a stat for a player.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was impressive, not not nearly as impressive as this stat line:

29 pts, 18 rebs, 10 assists, 11 blocks AND 5 steals.

In fact, that game might be one of the greatest all around games ever played in NBA history.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Olajuwon is the leader amongst all players with quintuple halves (at least 5 of something in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks)

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

No doubt there are numerous inaccuracies, but it seems like their stance of not going back to adjust stats should work both ways.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I believe so.

12. foo82

foo82 Member

Actually as a Rocket, he missed the triple double too I believe. I think it was something like 9 assists 9 rebounds and was both 1 rebound and 1 assist shy of quadruple double.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

First game of the 1996-1997 season :

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199611010HOU.html

Clyde had 25 pts, 10 rebs, 10 steals, 9 assists, (he had 7 turnovers, too :D)

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, he was that good. No one else comes close, IMO, and never will. Peterson was a heck of a player who's frequently forgotten. Played a big role in the run in the 1986 playoffs. God, we could use someone like him now!

Bring back Calvin!!

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Video didnt start out too well :) Akeem forcing a bad shot then getting owned by fellow Coug Cadillac Anderson a couple times. Then getting the ball stolen. But man did he pour it on big. Hakeem's swats were so majestic and well timed.

I dont have sound on my computer at the moment, but I'm assuming it mentioned Alvin Robertson playing in the same game getting a quadruple double himself once.

Perhaps. But its the same effort same review process looking at the full game recording whether its taking away or adding. They look at film again to review severity of technical fouls and upgrade or downgrade those. They now use instant replay more prominently. Its a double standard to me, though I'm sure its like that in other sports too. As long as it doesnt affect the actual final score I dont think it should matter much.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Loved how he swatted at least couple of those right to a Rockets player, something I rarely see these days. Certainly not on the Rocks.

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Awesome video.

Anyone know what those two songs are in the video?

18. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

man i miss the summit.

19. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I remember Dream developing that skill, and it was another thing that made him so great. He was so good at getting the block that he learned how to direct it where he wanted it to go.

Swatting the ball into the stands is impressive and intimidating, but directing it to a teammate creates a fast break the other way.

1 person likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of the great things about Dream was how he never quit trying to improve. More to the point, he did improve, from one season to the next. Got more consistent with his midrange game (which he had in his second season, contrary to what I still read from time to time. Dream just got better at it), improved his freethrow percentage, cut down on the fouls, including the really stupid ejections because he let his anger get the better of him, became stronger, combined the raw power with an unmatched finess, developing the moves for which he became famous. As we were talking about, learned to send his blocked shots to a teammate, finally became a superb passer, and developed that trust in the rest of the guys.

All things he developed over the years. There was no stagnation in Dream's game, there was only Father Time, who comes for us all. The greatest player to lace them up, and yes, I'm prejudiced! So what? It is the truth.