1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HAKEEM: HOWARD IS ‘READY’ FOR AN MVP-TYPE SEASON

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

That Howard with Harden.. Oh my please let that happen this season

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'll believe it when I see it. So far, he looked horrible in the first preseason game. He's not suddenly going to change into something greater than he's been in the past. Let's hope he doesn't slip from what he did last year.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Same. Doubtful we get more at this stage of his career than he already is.

1 person likes this.
  4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He's been in the league 10+ years. He already peaked in Orlando. Harden's improvement is what going to elevate the team moreso than Dwight's.

5. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

That's my favorite D12 mix! Inspired me to make my Rocket mix :cool:
    if D12 can carry build off of his playoff performance than H-Town will be more than ok

6. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Regretfully, I was one of the Houston fans hoping to trade Olajuwon for Barkley in 1991. I was wrong.

Hakeem was feuding with Charlie Thomas and many of us believed he was faking or milking his injury. We were wrong.

Dream won us (didn't help, but actually won us - 2 Championships). The first with above average role players including Mad Max, OT, "the Jet", etc.

DH is in the same boat. The best player at his position (center) at this point in his career.

Having Harden (a la Drexler) is the closest this team has been since then.

Can Daniels be Bullard? Can Ariza be Horry? Can Bev be Elie? Can DMo be Herrera? Can Terry be Mad Max?

All the stars must align, but the jury's still out, I believe it can happen. (Again)!

7. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Trevor Ariza as Robert Horry! I can see the comparison, minus 6 rings and a bag full of legendary clutch performances. Jason Terry as Mad Max, except older, slower and a better shooter! I think you're right, we need the stars to align, but the pieces are there. All we need is a power forward like Charles Barkley in his prime and we are good to go!

8. val_modus

val_modus Member

By that same logic, should you not be allowed to box out in the paint since doing so from the 3 point line or beyond would be considered a foul?

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

This is a flat-out lie. Hakeem has no peer with regard to this monumental achievement.

Jordan won 1 DPOY award in '88. His first finals MVP wasn't until '91 when he took down Magic and the Lake Show.

Dream is the ONLY player in NBA history to win DPOY, NBA MVP, and Finals MVP in the same season. Happened during that glorious season when Clutch City was born and NY Knicks basketball died. :cool:

10. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

And somehow this amazing, unparalleled feat still wasn't worthy enough for Sports Illustrated to put the Dream on the front cover. Only after an uproar did they release a special edition weeks later. SI was a bunch of butthurt Knicks fans. :p

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Like everyone else I am curious to see how Dwight performs this year -- the playoff series against portland was quite eye opening and I dont mean the points and all but the way he defended and rebounded. Thats what impressed me the most - after game 1 it seemed he came out in game 2 onwards thinking that every rebound was his. And some of the blocks he had especially late in games on the road were just flat out amazing.

I dont know if playoff Howard is sustainable over a 82 game season but I think Dwight knows he can and will have to play better this season. Seeing him go through all the training and new techniques and to have Dream say that Howard is better is a huge thing. I think more than anything the fact that he is both mentally and physically better is a huge thing.

With the first game being against Kobe and LA - I am going to predict Howard goes for at least 25/12/2 blocks

I think we dont need the 25/15 Howard that came up in the playoffs but if we get something like 20-22/and 13-15 during the regular season (compared to the 18/12 last year) the Rockets will be perfectly fine and maybe even better than last year.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

A 20/12/2 season from Dwight would be great. I think he can do it personally.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dwight will have one of his best seasons. i cant wait to see him beast. 21+ 12+ 2.5+blks, near 60 fg and ft%. dont sleep on him in fantasy ball, i know i wont

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hakeem = DD?

1 person likes this.
  15. NotChandlerParsons

Maybe he meant the other player we have whose last name starts with an H. Easy to get them mixed up.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

FIFY.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Anyone have a spare gas mask?

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Hakeem didn't say MVP, he said gimpy knee. You guys just didn't understand him.

1 person likes this.
  20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Safe to say we shouldn't acquire any former Orlando Magic anymore. Very brittle players.