1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem for Bryon Russell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RodneyMcCray, Jul 27, 2001.

1. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I saw this rumor in another thread.

I would do that in a second! Langhi (not good enough), Bullard, and Walt Williams (both too old) will not be here in 2 years.

With Russell and Morris swinging beteen the 2 and 3, and Mo and EG covering the 4, the Rockets could be dangerous.

In two years

C- FA or draft pick?
    PF- EG and MoT
    SF- EG and TMo
    SG- Cat and Russell
    PG- Steve and Moochie

That is a hell of a rotation if we add some bulk at Center, and it allows for an injury.

Punish Hakeem for not honoring his commitment to helping the Rocket's franchise by banishing him to Flop Fake City, where he can lose in the second round with those aholes Stockton and Malone.

------------------

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

There is no way I could remain a Rockets fan if they traded their all-time greatest player to the all-time most hated team.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

3. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I agree..

Hakeem is the Rocket's all time greatest player

and

The Jazz are my all time most hated team

but

I will always be a Rocket's fan, long after Hakeem is retired. I wish Hakeem liked the Rocket's as much as I do.

------------------

4. Valio!

Valio! Member

I will always be a rockets fan, but I certainly understand ZRB's disgust. There's just something extremely creepy about the idea of dealing with Utah. It's like setting your sister up with the guy who is always looking to score...I dont know...just something inherently wrong with Hakeem in a Utah uniform...

------------------
    "George W. is like a hybrid of his father and Dan Quayle" - P. Mesku

[This message has been edited by Valio! (edited July 27, 2001).]

5. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I have to say, I don't understand you guys. Hakeem has basically told the Rockets that he does not care about the future of the franchise. Hiring Fegan is akin to sticking his middle finger in Rudy T's face, and daring him to make a bad PR move.

Loyalty to Hakeem should end NOW.

------------------

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would never trade any player to the Jazz,let alone Hakeem even if he were 50 years old.

------------------

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Try to understand...

IF THE ROCKETS THOUGHT THAT THERE WAS ANY CHANCE OF MO, SHANDON OR MOOCHIE LEAVING, THEY WOULD JUST RENOUNCE HAKEEM AND SIGN THEM. IF THE ROCKETS ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE SITUATION, WHY SHOULD WE? THE ROCKETS WILL LET HAKEEM GO IF THEY THINK THEY ARE IN DANGER OF LOSING THEIR OTHER FREE AGENTS, BUT THEY HAVEN'T DONE THAT YET, SO OBVIOUSLY THERE IS NO DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

8. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

Hey, why all the yelling? [​IMG]

------------------

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but it seems that quite a few people on this board believe that the Rockets are in danger of losing their players because of Hakeem, when that is not the case. The Rockets could renounce him at any time if they thought they might lose those players. If they aren't concerned, we shouldn't be either.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rodney,I think that the Rockets shouldn't be forced to resign Hakeem for a very large contract which he is apparently asking for.
    I don't think he cares about the team but only about himself,but trading him to the Jazz can help them go deep into the playoffs which is simply unacceptable,even if we get better after getting Russell.

------------------

11. Band Geek Mobster

Hakeem would have to want to play for the Jazz in order for us to send him. If you're going to throw a hissy fit about the Rockets sending Hakeem to the Jazz, just remember that it was Hakeem that wanted to be sent there.

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

12. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

That is an excellent point. Does anybody think that if the Jazz gave Hakeem the money he wanted, that Dream would turn them down? I will bet my bottom dollar that Hakeem would gladly put on a Jazz uniform for the right price.

Of course, the Jazz can't pay him what he wants either, but I don't care where Dream goes. All I care about is what the Rockets get back in return.

------------------

13. Valio!

Valio! Member

well, I guess hakeem could find some kids his own age to play with in utah. But still a creepy concept to me...

------------------
    "George W. is like a hybrid of his father and Dan Quayle" - P. Mesku

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Olajuwon probably does not feel the same way about the Jazz as the average Rockets fan. He would probably welcome the opportunity to play with Malone and Stockton, they might make it to the conference finals with him. Cap space would be better than Russell though.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

15. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I don't know about that. Russell shot 41% on 3 pointers last year. He is a good team player, and good free throw shooter, and has playoff experience. I think he would be a great tutor for Morris.

------------------

16. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,295013966,00.html?

Jazz keeping pipe Dream alive

Utah interested in Olajuwon, despite the odds

By Tim Buckley
    Deseret News sports writer

TAYLORSVILLE — Published reports suggest the Jazz may be dreaming about acquiring veteran Houston Rockets free-agent center Hakeem Olajuwon.
    Reality, Jazz basketball operations vice president Kevin O'Connor suggested Friday night, is that the Jazz's interest in Olajuwon is no different than that of most others on the open market: "We made a phone call to all of the free agents," he said.
    Salary-cap concerns, however, sap the Jazz's ability to acquire a high-priced free agent like Olajuwon, a k a. 'The Dream.'
    "What can we do?" he said. "I mean, we've used up some of our midlevel exception (signing free agent John Amaechi). That's all we've got."
    The possibility of any team pulling off a sign-and-trade to acquire Olajuwon, O'Connor said, is dampened by a fix faced by the Rockets, who are also trying to re-sign two more of their own free agents, Shandon Anderson and Maurice Taylor.
    "If they go under the cap, they have to renounce (their rights to Olajuwon, negating the sign-and-trade possibility)," he said. "If they stay over the cap, they can't give the other guys (the money they want)."
    The Houston Chronicle has reported in copyrighted stories this week that the Jazz, along with Toronto, New York, Cleveland, Miami and Indiana, are "interested in Olajuwon's services."

------------------

[This message has been edited by RodneyMcCray (edited July 28, 2001).]

17. Bangladesh880

Bangladesh880 Member

Bryon Russell gives Houston something it doesnt have enough of, which is DEFENSE. Seeing Walt's defense at SF, we all have to wonder if his last name is Disney. TMo will take some time to adjust to the big league defense as will EG. Bottom Line, I dont care who we trade to (even though I hate Utah), if it benefits the Rockets, I'm all for it.

------------------

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've always thought Bryon Russell is one of the more underrated players in the league. He is probably what people here on the BBS hoped Shandon would be. A good defender, can run the break, AND has offensive ability and can pop the 3.

------------------
    "Colson makes a mockery of the PG position. It's like he's out there playing 1 on 9." -- pippendagimp with some candid player evaluations.

19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I would be in favor of a dream to utah trade if it would accomplish one thing: if it would get malone's and stockton's hopes up for finally winning that championship that for so long has eluded them only to see it crumble in a morass of dream injuries and brokenheartedness on their parts.

I wouldn't mind that so much.

anything negative for any jazz player is a positive for a houston rocket fan.

------------------
    houston rockets = 2
    utah jazz = 0

20. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

DoD: You hit the nail on the head. If we could get Russell for Hakeem-- that would be a steal for us.

Russell has many more years to contribute and brings the kind of skills and hustle that we need. In spite of all the crowing, I think we can only count on Hakeem to be a minor factor on the floor because of injuries, disinterest and/or self-centeredness.

What's the deal, Shandon is okay because he came of his own accord but Russell would be tainted because he was procured by trade?

Some of the anti-Jazz sentiment here borders on psychotic. All the Malone and Stockton bashing is about revenge. I'll take those two guys on my squad anytime (for the right dollars!).

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."