1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Had to put one of our dogs down today...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Refman, Aug 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Very sad evening at the Ref household. After a long battle with spinal and joint issues, the vet said it was time to put him down. Nothing but puffy eyes and tears in this corner of the universe tonight.

It has been a long time since I have had to do this, and almost forgot how much it sucks. Refgal is taking this particularly hard, as it is her son's dog and she had to make the decision and was wit him in his final moments.

RIP to a quirky dog. You will be missed.

3 people like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sorry man.

3. arjun

arjun Member

God promised at the birth of time, a special friend to give,
    his time on earth is short, he said, so love him while he
    lives. It may be six or seven years, or twelve or then
    sixteen, but will you, till I call him back, take care of him for
    me? A wagging tail and cold wet nose, and silken velvet
    ears, a heart as big as all outdoors, to love you through the
    years. His puppy ways will gladden you, and antics bring a
    smile, as guardian or friend he will, be loyal all the while.
    He'll bring his charms to grace your life, and though his stay
    be brief, when he's gone the memories, are solace for your
    grief. I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth
    return, but lessons only a dog can teach, I want you each
    to learn. Whatever love you give to him, returns in triple
    measure, follow his lead and gain a life, brim full of simple
    pleasure. Enjoy each day as it comes, allow your heart to
    guide, be loyal and steadfast in love, as the dog there by
    your side. Now will you give him all your love, nor think the
    labor vain, nor hate me when I come to call, to take him
    back again? I fancy each of us would say, "Dear Lord, thy
    will be done, for all the joy this day shall bring, the risk of
    grief we'll run." "We'll shelter him with tenderness, we'll love
    him while we may, and for the happiness we've known,
    forever grateful stay." "But shall the angels call for him,
    much sooner than we've planned, we'll brave the bitter grief
    that comes, and try to understand."

4. arjun

arjun Member

That was not written by me..not taking any credit. But when I had to put my dog down and was miserable...that really helped me out

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Very sorry for you and your family's loss :(. Dogs are amazing animals and truly become a member of the family and our best friend. Hang in there.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I know exactly how you feel. We had to put down our boxer earlier this year due to a brain tumor that was causing him to lose his vision and have seizures. We tried treating his seizures over several months but it got worse so our vet recommended to let him go since his quality of life wasn't very good at that point. It was a very sad moment and we'll never forget him but we think of all the good times and unconditional love he gave us and it makes us feel better.

My thoughts out to you Clutchfans brother!

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

My condolences. :(

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sorry to hear that. :(

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

man...:(

RIP Refdog

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My condolences. We're not far away from there with a cat. As animal lovers with too many cats and dogs, most in the second half of their lives, we will have a lot of those types of nights over the next 3-7 years, starting with our oldest in the next few months. She has spinal cancer and is slowly losing her mobility. Her brain is ok which makes it tougher.

Anyways, rip to your dog

11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about the loss. So unfortunate their time with us seems so brief.

12. Refman

You sound a lot like us. We have one other dog and three cats. The other animals are trying to figure out what is happening. Once they figure it out, they will grieve.

It's gonna be a long week.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. All of the Ref household is very touched by your thoughts.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was literally just thinking tonight that we're right at about one year since we had to put our dog down. Not easy.

So sorry for your loss.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

its impossible to understand how amazing dogs are till you have one. I couldn't even begin to think about the day our dog leaves us.

15. Refman

Thanks Max.

It has been a challenging night.

16. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Thinking of you and your family Refman. I have been there many times before. Due to "circumstances beyond my control" i can't have a dog right now, but I pine for the day when I can have one (or two) even knowing the eventual monumental sense of loss that accompanies being a dog owner.

I feel compelled to share a story about the sense of grief other pets feel - I hope you don't mind. Many years ago we had to put a Golden down due to brain tumor - great dog. We came home from the vet and were greeted by our yellow Lab. She approached, sniffed us, and skulked away with her head down and tail between her legs. Somehow she immediately knew.

But ultimately this is a good story. My pleasant memories and smiles outweigh my sense of loss by the weight of the universe. It is hard to see it when the sense of loss is so immediate and so overwhelming, but I am sure you and your family were a great home to your dog, and everyone was richer for it. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

17. askball

askball Member

Refman - I haven't posted on here in years but I felt compelled after reading your post.

I'm going through a very similar situation right now. My dog Max (10 yr old Corgi) began acting lethargic last week and lost his appetite. Fast forward to this past Saturday and I find out he's incredibly anemic...talking red blood cell count in the single digits. He's been in ICU for the last four days and has undergone two blood transfussions. Unfortunately, he still hasn't really gotten any better. He doesn't have any energy and he just looks exhausted.

I'm considering putting him down on Thursday if he doesn't improve. No one knows what causes acute hemolytic anemia or how to cure it. Conceivably he could get better over time but there's no way to know. I've been agonizing over this decision all week.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Always sucks.

RIP refdog

19. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Sorry Refman, I feel for your family. Having to put a dog down always sucks.

20. David Stern

David Stern Member

I'm not a vet so my words carry little weight. But why not hold out a bit longer. It sucks to see your pet suffer but maybe he can pull through and give another few good years.