1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hackers invoke 9/11 in Threat over The Interview

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

At a bar right now and listening to a conversation between two older gentleman. "I'm so Mad at the government right for giving into NK's demands!!! They should have never pulled the movie."

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We kinda pride ourselves in this country on our freedom to express ourselves without government authorization. Yeah, Sony put America on the hook by making their movie. Alan Gross put us on the hook when he brought satellite phones to Cuba. Steven Sotloff put us on the hook when he went to report in Syria and was captured by ISIS. Kelly Jackson put us on the hook by getting stranded in white-out conditions on Mount Ranier (and who later raised funds to pay for the rescue and then some to improve the park's rescue capabilities). We don't stop people from climbing mountains or doing journalism in war zones, and we bail them out when they get themselves into trouble when we're able. Do you really want the US Government running a censorship office on behalf of North Korea?

4. VanityHalfBlack

Was it the same hackers who hacked into playstation a couple years back? I'm sure the hackers who hacked into Sony knew how vulnerable Sony was and just took advantage of it. Are North Koreans that upset over Jews in Hollywood? A stoner comedy at that?

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It's going to release on Christmas and get higher box office numbers than it would have today.

6. theimpossibles1

Does this mean I should get Xbox one?

7. Remii

Remii Member

I don't believe the actions of those individuals put the lives of innocent citizens in danger on US soil (or the threatening of danger).

Nope... I just expect people to be a little smarter when it comes to dealing with North Korea and their lunatic dictator. But what do you expect the government to do...?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you never saw this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R_9sJBQKV6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Sony Pictures is an American Company.

I live less than a mile away from there and my neighbor once told me he works there in IT.

I saw him last night, and needless to say, it's been a rough week.

10. VanityHalfBlack

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

12. g1184

g1184 Member

And so it is:

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good. I hope we cut their internet forever. Let them rot in the grave they made. Hard to launch fake nukes when you don't have control over them.

Not like the masses there even know what the internet is. The country seriously wouldn't miss it. Except for those that are drunk on their own power in the country...

Proportional huh? I say the proportion should be 5 to 1. You threaten our freedom of speech and harm one of our large companies and their employee's privacy, and we'll respond fivefold.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Ok... I guess Obama just decided to take away North Korea's internet.... Damn...!!!! Lol. That is if the Chinese didn't do it or NK did it themselves.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

NK has been sent to its room without the internets.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sorry X100thst Sony is a Japanese company. Sony Pictures Entertainment is an American subsidiary but I get your point.

17. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

NK must use Comcast

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Interview is going to get a limited release in independent and art theaters.
    Some theater owners say they are doing so to make a stand for free speech. While I don't buy the conspiracy angle that Sony deliberately did this this is could be one of the best things to happen to Seth Rogen's career. From being a moderately funny stoner character actor to symbol of free speech.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30589472

The Interview: Sony's North Korea film to be screened in US

The Interview will be shown in some independent US cinemas on Thursday.

Sony Chairman Michael Lynton said he was "excited" that the comedy, about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, would now be seen.

Two cinemas in Atlanta and Austin have already revealed screenings.

They said via social media that Sony Pictures had authorised them to show the film, which has been at the centre of escalating tensions between the US and North Korea.

"Breaking news," tweeted Tim League, founder of the Alamo Drafthouse cinema in Austin.

"Sony has authorized screenings of THE INTERVIEW on Christmas Day. We are making shows available within the hour."
    'Freedom prevailed'

The White House welcomed the development, with a spokesman saying that President Barack Obama applauded Sony's decision and that the US was a country that "believes in free speech".

Seth Rogen, who directed and starred in the film, tweeted: "The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn't give up!"

Sony had previously announced that the film's release would be pulled completely, following a hacking attack on the company and threats against cinema chains that planned to screen the film.

That decision drew criticism in Hollywood, with some calling it an attack on the freedom of expression.

Mr Obama had also called Sony's initial decision to pull the film "a mistake".

Analysis: Alastair Leithead, Los Angeles

What started out as a Christmas comedy caper has become quite the seasonal thriller. It's got everything: cyber-attacks, terror threats and an international incident between America and North Korea, but all of it is a drama Sony Pictures could do without.

The company has been through a lot in the last month, and has now backtracked on its decision to pull the film completely. As yet the big theatres have still not said when, or whether, they might screen the film.

Sony Pictures Entertainment has been hit hard - first by the embarrassment of personal emails being dumped online. But as the seriousness of the cyber-attack unfolded, it also became clear that the personal details of thousands of staff and former-employees had been stolen - opening the door to class-action lawsuits.

Unreleased films leaked online, and then the pulling of a major movie, could cost tens of millions of dollars - let alone the price for the computer network repairs and beefed-up security.

It's a still-unfolding script to a drama the critics might even slam for being a little too far-fetched.
    line
    'First step'

Hundreds of independently-owned theatres had signed a petition expressing support for the film and its screening.

However, major movie chains in the US are thought unlikely to take part in the release at this stage.

Mr Lynton said: "We are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theatres so this movie can reach the largest possible audience."

He also said he "hoped it would be the first step of the film's release".

The company has yet to reveal further details of its release plans, but there is also speculation that video on-demand (VOD) will be offered as part of the package.

Sony's decision to show the film came hours after North Korea suffered a severe internet outage that effectively shut down its internet services for 10 hours.
    North Korea says the film hurts the "dignity of its supreme leadership"

It was not clear what caused this. North Korean officials have not commented on the issue.

The country's internet services appeared to suffer a second outage on Tuesday afternoon, but they were restored in under an hour, an internet monitoring company said.

US officials have declined to comment on who might have been responsible for the shutdown.

Mr Obama has previously vowed to respond to a hacking attack on Sony, which led to sensitive data and unreleased film material being leaked.

The US said an FBI investigation showed that North Korea was responsible for the cyber attack on Sony - claims denied by North Korea.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wonder if the disparity and displacement in potential liability between Sony and the smaller studios facilitated this change, otherwise a Cinemark or AMC would be just as big a target for whatever hypothetical lawsuits could arise from incidents of violence, and be risk-averse enough to block the showing. Seems like something to incorporate in distribution agreements or insurance policies for politically controversial films going forward.