1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hack DeAndre Jordan every second he is in the game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 6, 2015.

1. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

to people saying our guys would foul out...Doc has been taking dj out even in the 4th until 2 minute mark this whole playoffs.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yes!!!! I love the strategy. Eventually they will have to take him out. Disrupts their set offenses.. which we don't have so doesn't matter.

3. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Our coach should be fired if he doesn't do it considering Jordan's impact on our game

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol if it was this simple Im pretty sure the Spurs wouldve done it

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Honestly it's a good idea, especially when Dwight comes out. I'd use a guy like Papa for this, you know he's a decent player but he hardly plays any ways. If it makes Doc take him out of the game as he's shown he will do then you have to do it. He impacts the game too much to just ignore it.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This worked out well for the Spurs.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there are times throughout the game it can be very useful.

Especially when the Clippers start to get the tiniest bit of momentum and we need to shake up the tempo.

41 points straight without an adjustment is just painful to watch.

8. MattM

MattM Member

Useful at times. I hate the idea of using it when losing. It doesn't seem quite as bush when we have a 10pt lead. I'm still not a fan of intentional off the ball fouling.

9. torocan

torocan Member

It worked well enough that they were a miracle shot away from winning game 7 in LA.

Good math is good math... I'll take bad FT shooting over DAJ dunks, CP3 stutter steps and Griffin post ups any day of the week.

10. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Little different than the spurs situation. No DJ means Howard can dominate at will in the paint, something a little more mitigated against old man Duncan. Plus it allows harden to attack which is pretty much the center of our offensive rhythm

11. archinkent

archinkent Member

Kinda hypocritical to do that when we have been complaining about Hack-a-Dwight all the time, no?

12. rockets13champs

BUT THE THING IT DEANDRE MAKES ALL THE BIG FREE THROWS

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, would be good to utilize them if going that route, lots of free fouls there.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like the idea of just fouling him when Harden is on the bench. It prevents the Clippers from heating up and it allows Harden to get even more rest. Just foul Jordan every possession and buy Harden 15 minutes of rest compared to 3min of gametime. Go ahead and play him 42mpg+ but he'll be well rested. Sloan used to excel at doing that.

It might also offset the times Harden & Jordan are on the court together. Jordan is kryptonite down there.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

^^^ that makes some more sense, selectively is more sensible. Them being in the bonus early helped us as much as the hacking hurt if not more. I did like seeing Jordan sit a lot though both for foul trouble and foul shooting trouble.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Duncan played extremely well that series whether DJ was on him or not.

That wasn't the reason they were in that series. Hack a DJ should have cost them game 2 at LA.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

this should only be done in right situations. this should never be done every second he is in the game. a big issue is the rockets struggle to play defense without picking up silly fouls.

18. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

Get Dorsey and Papa on this and get DJ to the Greek.

19. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

If you foul Deandre with player X (Papa, Nick, Dorsey, etc) then you have to leave him in as opposed to sub during free-throws to ensure the same player is available to take another foul on the next possession.

If you take him out, well, then someone who you don't want picking up gimme-foul has to taken them (assuming continuity of strategy).

If you do leave them in (for continuity of strategy), then player X (back-end of rotation guy) has to in be for the offensive possession. Think about what that does to our expected points per possession. That quickly diminishes the advantage assuming DJ shoots even his standard 40% or roughly .8 PPP.

The reason the Spurs are able to pull this off is b/c of their depth and interchangeable parts. Pop feels the offensive decline isn't enough to offset even 50% FT Shooting. In this case, the Spurs averaged 1.07 PPP during the regular season. So, by Pop's math, the expected value of 1 PPP using hack-a on a 50% FT shooter - via a bench player's fouls - is still exceeded net of the offensive efficiency dropoff. That implies he thinks his bench guys - replacing whichever starter(s) - produce at a rate that is no worse than .06 PPP vs the team's normalized production (skewed heavier in favor of the starters)

I don't think McHale feels a lineup integrating player X will sustain aggregate team production at anywhere near the rate of a normalized lineup. And, given the offensive deficiencies in their game, I agree.

Net-Net, there's no way i'd leave the defense on auto-hack-a-DJ. For strings of 5-7 possessions, yes. That's the extent of it when you weigh foul trouble vs offensive efficiency drop-off.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The problem with that is Dorsey is even worse at FTs than Jordan. They'd gladly get themselves into the bonus just to put Dorsey at the line.