1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hack-A-Whoever Strategy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yodels, Apr 10, 2015.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Why do the refs call these touch fouls as hacking fouls? The fouls should be stronger.

Whoever is being hacked should run all over the court and tackle the one fouling him afterwards. Or we should take out Duncan as retaliation.

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I would send an enforcer (like Dorsey) in to pop Duncan in the face. Not sportsmanship, but that's sending a message.

Next foul, trip up Leonard.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always thought that limiting the number of hacks should avoid tonight's extremely boring second half yet still give the teams a valid strategy to punish poor FT shooters.

3 times is probably too little. 5 is about right.

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

JVG suggested 3 times as the max you can do it before ft+possession/treating it like a clear-path foul.

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I AGREE... there has to be a limit... fans do not come to see Josh Smith Shoot free throws the entire second half.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Why...what does that accomplish...getting smoked by 40 in a future match doesnt really sound appealing to me.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the problem i have with this is that it makes the game boring to watch. free throws are the least entertaining part of the game.

i get that its a good strategy and players should be working on their free throws, but as a fan, its boring and ugly. just like the clear path foul was a smart move to prevent a fast break, but that took away the MOST entertaining part of the game, so it became FTs+possession.

treat hacking the same as the clear path foul. you shouldn't be able to do it at all. FT+possession.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

tit for tat.

sub in our best FT shooters then give them a taste of their medicine. Only this time make them hard fouls on Duncan.

9. basketballholic

I ain't buying it. There's plenty of big men with big mits that are shooting in the 70's and 80's. Duncan just showed you tonight. These guys play basketball and only basketball all day long. It's their job. If they want to they can get their free throw percentages up.

10. HamesJarden

HamesJarden Member

What about team getting intentionally hacked gets to pick their shooter, that would end this exploit real quick.

11. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

3rd or 4th time the team gets to pick who shoots the FT

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's not a valid answer. Yao and Dirk shoot fts just fine. Hell even Gheorge Muresan shot 65% from the ft line.

13. MD_in_Training

How is it akin to telling a PG to stop a center? Why is it that 7 ft tall guys like Aldridge, Yao, Laimbeer, Nowitzki, Gasol can shoot 80%+ but 6'8 - 6'9 Dorsey and Josh Smith can't?

It ain't the size.

14. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

This is kludgy. It is not an elegant solution. 3 is so out of the blue. Why can't it be 5 or 6?

Let's not try to legislate strategy out of the game. The solution I propose adds more possibilities and counter-moves for the offense.

Imagine Josh Smith in the back court while his teammates are in the front court. Does Popovich have Diaw or whoever wait for him close by in the front court while the Rockets play 4 on 4? Does Diaw run to the basket to protect the paint and make it 5 on 4? Does Josh Smith make an appearance in the front court as a trailer 3pt shooter?

I'm liking the idea I propose more and more...Again, let's not legislate strategy out of the game; let us add more to it.

15. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I know but that time restriction.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Whoever is being hacked, I'd send a screener for him to avoid being fouled while Harden tries to rush to get an attempt up.

I just disagree with the default mode of allowing the team to impose their strategy on us. We need to show we're trying to counter.

Instead we just sit there and take it.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

But the game slows down with all the FTs, he wouldn't have gotten tired at all.

Just McHale not having any brains

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

yeah, but we make it painful for them. so maybe they'll stop

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

No problem with it. Make your free throws.

...until you have 5+ minutes of game time, like tonight, where it's nothing but hack-a-player. Terrible.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I hate you for beating me for saying that :p