1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

H Chronicle: Rockets gather a new nucleus

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2824590

Sept. 30, 2004, 11:30PM

Rockets gather a new nucleus
    Old gang is gone as team assembles for training camp

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

A year ago, Jeff Van Gundy, then the new guy in a room full of familiar faces, brought his team together for the first time as Rockets coach and delivered a clear message.

This was a group, he told his team that night in Galveston, that had been kept together extraordinarily long. It had become time, he said, to reward the franchise's "unusual show of confidence in a core group." The underlying implication was that without "strides toward winning a championship" it would be time to break up the old gang.

A year later, when Van Gundy gathers his team today for the meeting to start his second training camp as Rockets coach, that core group will be gone. The changes to the roster have become so widespread, before he lays out a theme for another camp and season to come, he might need to pass out name tags.

"I know it has to be a challenge for a coaching staff to introduce eight new players, eight important players that are going to play," Rockets forward Juwan Howard said. "That's why I elected to come here this summer to get accustomed to the system we'll have so we won't have to do so much thinking on the floor. It's going to be a challenge. It's going to be a challenge for us all."

But Van Gundy, citing the offseason workouts with coaches, said the Rockets' challenges are the same as they would have been had the team not undergone its eight-player roster overhaul. Instead, the quantity of moves will not limit his demands or expectations.

"It's not going to be (an issue)," Van Gundy said. "A lot of the guys have been here, so they are familiar with many things. It will speed up the learning process when we start (today).

"The only two guys that have not been here have been Ryan Bowen (signed on Wednesday) and (Tracy) McGrady. Everybody else has done something. They're ahead of the game, and McGrady's in very good shape, so I don't think we're going to have to start slow."

The extent of the renovation since last season is far from unprecedented. But the circumstances are different from most of the previous reclamation projects.

Change follows change
    The Rockets assembled a new nucleus. They insist they were not looking for an overhaul or even to trade the former faces of the franchise, Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley. But once the backcourt was moved to acquire McGrady, three players left, four players moved in, and gaps were opened that required a series of subsequent moves.

"To get the players you need, you have to at times give up players you value highly," Van Gundy said. "We were an improved team. And yet, I think Carroll (Dawson, the Rockets' general manager) and I both felt that there is a risk when you make changes, but we believe there is a chance at an increased upside."

The summer workouts with coaches can help the transition. But as often as players, media and fans refer to the "system," discussions that get Van Gundy's eyes rolling, players said that instead of learning "a system" the Rockets might have to adjust to each other. If not, they risk of going too far into the season playing more like a U.S.Olympic team of talented strangers than as a real team.

Getting to know you
    "When you add a lot of new players, it's a matter of learning the system and learning the guys," point guard Charlie Ward said. "Most of the guys have been here. As far as what coach wants and getting on the same page, it's vital to our success. But we're also learning how to play with one another, what guys do and like to do, their strengths and weaknesses, where guys like the ball."

Van Gundy, however, said he is unconcerned about such challenges. With that in mind, when he talks to his team today, he will speak about the usual topics, about a commitment to winning rather than individual accomplishments, about work and sacrifice.

Then, just as they did when the Rockets got together a year ago, the new Rockets players will think about the same things as the old Rockets players.

"As players, you have higher expectations than the fans and media," Howard said. "I know everybody expects us to come out of the gates early and contend for a title. On paper, we look great. But we have a long way to go."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROCKETS SUMMARY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McGrady's new start
    For all the reasons Tracy McGrady was happy to arrive in Houston on Thursday and begin his life with the Rockets, he also was ready to put his mind on anything besides the difficult summer in Florida.

McGrady's home escaped damage from the first three hurricanes. But Hurricane Jeanne hit his home hard, damaging a roof and other parts of his property and bringing a reminder of the destruction around the state.

"It's been a devastating month for me and for the state of Florida," McGrady said. "It's just trying to overcome that, get out of there, get focused, get settled in and get ready for this weekend.

"I didn't want to leave ... but I felt this is important because I'm a new face to the town. I need to get out and get a feel for the people that will be supporting the Rockets."

McGrady attended a Rockets "premium seating" reception Thursday, and said he is looking to the future.

"I see something special is going to happen," he said. "They say the third time is a charm. This is my third team and, hopefully, it's that time. I'm excited about the city, being here. I'm excited about playing with the teammates that I have, the coaching staff, the first-class organization and everything."

Fans fired up
    The Rockets scheduled events for each of the next two Saturdays with the arena open for new season-ticket buyers to "select a seat" from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and an open practice from noon to 2 p.m. Oct. 9.

Rockets vice president Tim McDougall said the team has had the most renewals it has had in seven years.

JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Here we go... Its about time!

Is anyone else having problems reading articles on the Chronicle online? Every article asks that you be a member, this happened about four or five months ago but then everything went back to normal and I could read them again.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Try clearing your internet history, and trying again.

4. Mooch

Mooch Member

]

does this mean we can go watch them practice on oct9 ?

5. swooh

swooh Member

is anyone else a little worried that t-mac hasnt signed that extension yet?:confused:

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

So Juwan Howard elected to come to Houston to play? I thought his ass got sent here, not vice-versa.

7. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

well, he could have just arrived when training camp started.

but he chose to arrive earlier and get himself acclimated to the system.

8. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

And remember, kids, it's pronounced New-kya-luss.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

but this means, invetibably, we have both positive and negative electrons. Damn it.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

There are POSITIVE electrons now?!! :eek: