1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GuyV - Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Plowman, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching the nominees,I was saddened,but not surprised about the exclusion of our own GuyV once again.Coach Lewis has contributed so much to the game of basketball.He's built winning teams,but more importantly has produced plenty of fine young men.Coach was one of the leaders when it came to integrating the college game.He's taken teams with marginal talent and won,as well as putting together powerhouses.The Father of Cougar hoops should have already been in,but for some reason that is beyond me he continues to be overlooked...or is it more?
    We all know PSJ should have won the whole thing,and Yes he slowed it down in the title game,but this just isn't right.
    ..interested to hear ya'lls thoughts.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The only coaches to coach in more final fours are Coach, K, Wooden, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp and Denny Crum....I don't know what else he could have done. Doesn't seem right.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

There lies his lack of respect. Any coach, player or even fan would know better than to slow it down against NC State with that Cougar team.

4. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I'm not saying this is my opinion or belief, but I constaly hear rumors that something holding Lewis back is that he was a figurehead that handled very little of the actual coaching duties. Kind of like a Bobby Bowden.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Does the Everest-sized hole in his resume give you any clue?

6. msn

msn Member

A much greater injustice than Rose being kept out. What did Lewis do to turn voters against him? That "hall of fame" has diminished credibility until they make it right and enshrine Coach Lewis. And, they'd better do it while he's alive as well.

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

You can say that but if you look down the list of coaches that have been entered into the Hall from college are just way below him and the stuff that he has done.

I heard a debate about it on the radio and they were listing inductees that don't even come close to having as many trips to the final four and havne't won a championship in their resumes and they are in there.

Just doesn't make sense till this day.

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

If that towel bitting idiot Tark from UNLV is in the HOF then GVL should have be a no brainer.

I still think there is still a conspiracy against the city of Houston and our sports teams.

9. NJRocket

a slight overstatement

10. msn

msn Member

I disagree. Rose's being kept out is unjust due to his performance but justified because of the rule that was already in place. What rule has GVL broken? Has he threatened the integrity of the game? Has he tarnished the image of the game? No, he is simply one of the game's great coaches and is being arbitrarily omitted from the "hall of fame" for some unknown reason. Much greater injustice, IMO.

11. NJRocket

At the risk of starting an entire thread on this, I'll say this...Rose's on field accomplishments far outweight anyting GVL has done. If off field issues were a reason to be kept out, then why is Paul Hornung is the HOF when he bet on games as well?

12. msn

msn Member

Indeed, I'm sorry I brought it up.

Aaaaahhh, now I see where you're coming from. I was on the other side of this issue--there is *far less* reason to keep GVL out than for Rose.

13. NJRocket

dont get me wrong....i think GVL absolutely deserves to be in

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed on both points...GuyV should be in the HOF, period, end of discussion, but for some reason, he keeps getting past over...Total BS...

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because off-field issues are expressly excluded from the NFL Hall of Fame selection criteria.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Does his record as a coach give you a clue?
    It's a travesty that Guy Lewis isn't in the Hall. He revolutionized the college game, has a record that will stand up next to anyone, aside from that "hole" you're talking about, and produced an incredible list of NBA talent, especially considering the school he coached for.

GuyV should be in the Hall. Period.

And who gives a damn about those other sports in this thread??

(and isn't this in the wrong forum? I would have put it in Hangout, since the college, whatever, forum doesn't get any traffic)

#16 Deckard, Feb 22, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  17. msn

msn Member

Me. :p

I love basketball, but baseball is God's game.

(by the way, I agree with your take 100%.)

18. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Guy V was great for basketball. Most of his critisims don't make a lick of sense (He just rolled the ball out there and let his athletes win the games) as opposed to some schmuck who overcoaches to prove his genius.

The NC State debacle was unfortunate...but one game doesn't detract from what Guy V accomplished.