1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guys... this is a GOOD thing. Let me explain...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 13, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

He had a no trade clause for the first year, I believe. He was also way over-paid. He would not have been able to be traded.

The Rockets would have been stuck.

2. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

I think we are all underrating how HUGE the events of Friday were. I mean that was near historic levels of a swing when Bosh decided not to sign here. We were about to be a legitimate title contender for the first time in forever. A contender in a way we never were once during the Yao/Mac era

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Oh lord.

4. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

+100. was going to say this. but, parsons price is pretty steep so that's a huge factor to consider - tough situation.

5. bmd

bmd Member

No. Of course you have to get to the second round before you can get to the Finals... but you do not want the 2nd round to be your ceiling.

6. MystikArkitect

If I read this post without knowing what happened this off season, I would've thought Morey traded Dwight and Harden for Anderson Varejao and a 2nd round pick.

Some of you guys need to really stop over reacting, this place feels like crazy land right now.

7. txn

txn Member

Yeah, then another 1st round out...without Asik, Portland might swept us last yr. Who gonna guard the BIG 4 from those super teams?

8. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I agree, it was the right move. But, we shouldn't have let it get to this point though. If everything stays the same until the start of the season, this offseason will be deemed a failure.

9. bmd

bmd Member

Yes, and if the Rockets signed Parsons to that contract, they would not have been a legitimate title contender. They would be too locked up to get over the hump.

Now, the Rockets can STILL hunt for a 3rd piece and they are right back in that title picture if they land it.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We got bounced out of the 1st round of the playoffs last year. Why would we want to be as good as we were last year?

11. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Ariza is better than Parsons, I'm sorry. Parsons is an offensive player. He's basically a watered down James Harden, meaning he has a decent shot, can get to the rim, solid passer, and below average defender with no defensive awareness. The Rockets do not need two James Harden's. Hell, I like J Lin but Lin is a similar to Parsons as well. The Rockets need players who do certain roles. We needed a wing who can defend, understands defensive principles, and can really shoot from 3pt range. Paying Parsons 15 mil is utterly ridiculous even with Bosh signing. The playoff are a different animal and you cant win being a team with no defense and all offense. Teams can take the time and scout and plan. Rockets must be able to defend as well and become more versatile offensively. Cant have everyone doing the same thing.

12. cmellon

cmellon Member

What is wrong with you? So you will reject $15 million / year and get paid a lot less to play in a team that doesn't even guarantee a championship? Parson doesn't owe anything to Rockets. He played hard with minimal contract to the best of his ability last season.

Anyone with a little bit of brain will do what Parson do.

13. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

This isn't true. Mavericks are not closer to the championship than we are.

Mavericks are the more complete team only because they can't make anymore moves! That's it. That's their roster and core for the next 3 years. If Nowitski/Parsons/Ellis with Chandler is enough to win a championship then I'll be damned.

Though we are currently in a dark place, the Rockets have a lot of options going forward. Our 'big 3' of Harden/Howard/Ariza is better than the Mavericks and I like our role players better than theirs with Beverley and Jones. We still have the flexibility to make moves and have TPEs and a good asset in that NO pick to bring players in.

At the end of the day, we still have 2 Top 10 players in this league with Harden and Howard and the hardest working GM in basketball. This offseason is not over yet. All we need is some random event (like the Harden trade) and we will be good, maybe even better than before.

14. shlhl

shlhl Member

It is like stock and you will never know whether it is peak yet. Another year will tell whether we make right choice.

15. bmd

bmd Member

It was a failure in the sense that they did not land the 3rd piece to the puzzle this year and didn't really improve. But improving this next year costs you from being true title contenders in the future. Patience is a virtue.

It was not a failure if you look at the big picture. The real failure would be giving Parsons that contract and hampering the ability of the team to reach the Finals. In the short term, it would look okay because the Rockets might get to the second round. But in the long-run, it would not have netted a championship.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You don't know if Harden, Howard, and Parsons could win a championship or not. How many people thought the Rockets would win a Championship in 1995. How many people thought the Rockets would go to the finals in 1981, or 1986. We have no idea what Harden, Howard, and Parsons would have accomplished this year if they could have been given a strong supporting cast of players and had been given a chance to grow as a team. You do not know, and now none of us will ever know.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No, what Morey did was get rid of Asik, Lin, and Parsons(and Casspi but who the hell cares about him?) and in return we received Ariza. Granted, there are still players out there, but for all intents and purposes, this is our core going into next season. With McHale still pretending to coach on the sidelines.

So basically the upcoming season is over before it's started. I no longer consider just making the playoffs an admirable accomplishment. It's the NBA, not MLB. More than half the teams in the league reach the postseason every year. And as for future financial flexibility, who gives a damn if no one of significance is willing to sign here? Until Morey and Les change their entire philosophy about building a contender, we're in for more of the same.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

That is ridiculous. Dirk is a year older, Felton is hot (fat )garbage, chandler can't stay on the court and Parson's can't carry a team.

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Yeah, yeah... "very near future"!!! Always the same story... "next year", "near future", bla bla bla!!!

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dude, don't preach logic and facts. The old DD is back. The Spurs are the worst example that people love to point towards. They've had their 3 stars for 10+ years now. Duncan has been paid so much through his career that he can easily take a pay cut to win.

Way different situation.