1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gustav] New Tropical Threat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by marks0223, Aug 25, 2008.

1. LouisianaRocket

it wasn't an over hyped hurricane... it was near Cat 5 status in the Gulf. Anytime a Cat 4 is aiming down your throat, you better start getting out of the way if you are on the coast. It was a necessary procedure to prevent death and minimize destruction. :rolleyes:

2. tigereye

tigereye Member

Now this might be the worst post in the history of this message board. (No. 3!)

This storm was hyped for a reason dammit......Networks need ratings and Neil Frank needs a reason to live.

And just in case you forgot already, Gustav was atleast a Cat 4 before hitting the warm waters of the Gulf, with little wind shear in it's path. I don't think anyone in their mind would have thought Gustav would have weakened to the Cat 2 status it had at landfall, considering the situation, which appeared favorable for strengthening and development.

3. LouisianaRocket

correctomundo... It was a blessing that it weakened the way it did, they don't just weaken when conditions are favorable to increase the power of the hurricane. Someone in heaven was looking out for our wonderful state.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Say it!! Say it!!!!!!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bfgrj_62-Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bfgrj_62-Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

And isn't this ironic this "blessing" happens for a city whose own inhabitants feel the city is cursed.

6. LoveRoxHateJazz

So wait, it's over?

Damn man, when a real beast comes, no one is gonna buy that ****. I blame advertising companies. If they didn't support over-hyped hurricanes, people would evacuate when a real hurricane hits. :D

This is why I don't let the media decide what is news.

7. LouisianaRocket

I guess, all I know is, this storm could have been 50x worse. Time to focus on Hannah, the real storm.

Saints bowl bound baby!!! Nothing can stop us now! :D Who Dat

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

^2 out of 3 ain't bad... ;)

9. LouisianaRocket

isn't great either lol wish it was 0 for 0. Hate seeing devastating storms hit anywhere in the United States much less my home state. Wish there was a way we could just pull all the storms into Kings Ranch, nothing but snakes and a handful of illegals there.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I believe Hurricane Gustav was directed by Jerry Bruckheimer.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The fact that Gustav didn't kill thousands of people and wipe New Orleans off the map means that we should never worry about another hurricane again.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :D

I think it is extremely lucky that it was as severe as forecasters thought it would be. I hate that people are questioning whether they should have left their home too because the next time one comes they may ignore any and all warnings.

Watch out though. Hanna and Ike are brewing.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, but I'm right this time. ;)

14. MadMax

It also means no hurricane has ever affected Houston significantly...and could never again. All because of Gustav.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The funny thing is that the earth is like 4.6 billion years old, just because we have been in Houston for 200 years does not mean that at some point a massive storm won't hit.

200 years is NOTHING in time.

DD

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Thats exactly what is going to happen. Just to listen to the current tone of the thread. "Oh, the media and weather folks all over reacted, just like I predicted!"
    Now, when the next one comes, nobody is going to believe any warnings and we might end up looking at Katrina all over again.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Or even worse... :(

18. MadMax

absolutely true.

and frankly, in our lifetime...Alicia caused a crap load of damage (the scary thing about that one was we had such little lead time to prepare...it was 36 hours from it being this little system in the gulf to being a Cat. 3 making landfall). and my parents still talk about the significance of Hurricane Carla, and all the tornados that spawned off of it...including a HUGE one that ripped through Galveston and killed about 10 people.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A prime example of Darwinism.

DD

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Whatever. Quit hyping it up.