1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gustav] New Tropical Threat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by marks0223, Aug 25, 2008.

1. astros148

astros148 Member

talking about to the US not Caribbean

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

All you Monday morning meteorologists are too cool for school.

Can I be your friend? Please?!?!?!?!?!?

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

delete...

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Oh please. Hurricanes never do **** to Houston no matter how many "gloom and doom" forecasts we get. All hurricanes ever do to the Houston area is bring "mighty" rains and several fallen tree branches, lol.

Now New Orleans? Nah, I don't really care about them that much.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Well, I don't recall anyone of authority saying Houston was in trouble, other than a few, 5-7 days ago.

But you are still cool in my book. Can I still be your friend?

You are even cooler now. Like, FattyFatBastard cool.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In all seriousness, I heard a good chunk of Jindal's conference yesterday evening and he was very realistic and non-sensational. He made it plain the gloom and doom scenario was not unfolding and things were looking very positive. Of course, he added the caveat that things could take a turn for the worse because the path of the storm could change slightly and still throw things upside down. If Bill White had done this a day or two before Rita hit, Houston would have been a lot better off and the folks closer to the coast would have been able to evacuate speedily.

I am VERY impressed by Gov. Jindal. He is a smart, hands-on guy who's clearly in control of things and is destined to be more than just Governor of Louisiana.

7. tulexan

tulexan Member

I agree. Jindal was great and looked very prepared. He was no nonsense and gave the straight facts about what could happen with the current path and a few other paths as well. But I also have no problem with Nagin's press conferences. His job was to ensure that everyone got out of the city, and at landfall, there were only 10K people in NOLA so I think he did a great job.

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Because we haven't really had a hit in a long, long time. That's not a bad thing; we should be thankful.

But it'd be stupid to think that Houston is damage proof. Does Allison ring a bell? (And that was just a tropical storm).

It is amazing to me how some of you come to the conclusion that because we didn't get hit, events like these are harmless and shouldn't be prepared for.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Concur on Nagin. He came across as a real no-nonsense kind of guy during his interviews. He was frank about his concerns, honest about the problems, and generally quite amicable.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

They never did much to New Orleans either.

On guestimations, its like every 3-4 years for a hurricane or tropical storm in the area, and every 10-11 years it'll be a direct hit. So 1 of out 3 pose very serious threats. From there it depends on the category of the hurricane.

The deadliest hurricane in US history was in Galveston. Its not like Houston's way inland next to New Mexico, its next to the Gulf. I didnt think much about earthquakes in until we had one here last month in California. Didnt mean to pile on. Just that the earth does its own unannounced unplanned primitive thing it always does and unfortunately doesn't care what anyone thinks.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Might be the worst post in the history of this message board.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

so umm.

Is this headed to Dallas?

13. tigereye

tigereye Member

So now that this story is pretty much done, is it fair to say Gustav and the media were all "talkin out the side of their neck?!"

14. LouisianaRocket

Nagin is an idiot, can't wait for that man to get out of office and return the city from "Chocolate City" to New Orleans. Crime rate has been through the roof with Nagin in office, he was suppose to be the face of a New Law in New Orleans, but he hasn't done nothing. the man is an absolute idiot.

15. tulexan

tulexan Member

He may be an idiot and I was absolutely shocked when he was re-elected over a very popular Mitch Landrieu, but I've gotta give credit where credit is due. New Orleans was a ghost town during Gustav and he's a major reason for it.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I wonder how many times that has been said.

17. tigereye

tigereye Member

This might be worst post in the history of this message board.

That's 2 and counting sir....

18. astros148

astros148 Member

lol i dont understand why some of you wont admit it was a over hyped hurricane

19. LouisianaRocket

No, Jindal is the reason for the evacuation of New Orleans. Nagin is just a puppet. If he were so on top of his game, the deaths during Katrina would not have been so high. Jindal and the federal government pounded Nagin's head in on this one. If it were up to Nagin, he wouldn't have used the cities resources to help people get out, because frankly... he is an idiot.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Umm, if I recall the federal government wasn't ready for Katrina as well. Nobody really was. Katrina taught everybody a lesson, even Nagin.