1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

gun question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by synergy, Dec 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. synergy

synergy Member

I am looking to purchase a small hand gun/pistol. I'm a first time buyer of a handgun, and I wanted to know if adding a silencer to it is illegal?

Are there any good gun shops in Houston to buy a pistol?

2. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Nothing helpful to add, but why do you want a silencer on it? Too many video games? Dreams of being a secret agent? :)

(Sorry I know nothing about guns...)

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yes a silencer is illegal.

Go to Carters Country and ask questions.

Take a hand gun safety course.

Secure you gun and ammo in a locked safe.

Allways treat a gun as if it is loaded.

Never point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

There used to be a guy that sat in the next cubicle....his silencer was illegal......and deadly. I am so glad he is gone.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't do it, man!

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

You have no idea why he wants a gun or what he intends to do with one.

If he follows my advice there is no reason for you to worry if he owns a gun, or to try to persuade him not to get one.

Make an educated choice Synergy, but don't take the responsibility lightly.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude, i'm kidding. i don't care if he buys a gun or not. i just thought my response looked funny in context.

8. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I thought it was funny....but guns arent funny damnit!

:D

9. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Silencers are NOT illegal, neither are machineguns. You just have to register them, pay huge taxes yearly on them, and they are heavily regulated & tracked by federal & local law enforcement.

That said, you can still get one if you wanna jump through hoops, but I really have to question why you would want to...

Buy a good gun though - don't skimp on it. Go for an HK or a Sig. Avoid Glock like the plague. Your'e buying something that you might one day need to protect your life and those of your loved ones, so don't buy a piece of crap just to say you've gotta gun.

Buy the highest caliber you can handle the shock/recoil for. .40 would be my suggestion as it's a good blend of power & capacity and most law enforcement agencies in the country use it.

If this is all too complicated, just buy a nice S&W revolver in .38...

#9 Rocket G, Dec 20, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  10. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

.40 is okay, with respect to Law Enforcement, I think it's a crappy comprimise between a 9mm and .45;getting mostly their bad characteritics.

It has the lower FPS of a .45 and doesn't have the penetration of 9mm...go with .45, take some courses and shoot as often as you can.

My advice is the same as Rocket G's, you cannot go wrong with a a Sig or Hk. However, know that you will shell BIG bucks for the name and quality. For the money, I think Sig's are built significantly better than HK and have a better "feel"; but there are a billion HK ditto-heads out there that will disagree with me, and I don't even care for handguns that much! Incidently, most secret-service agents carry Sig-Sauers...

Also, look into getting a good ole', 1911 action .45 ACP--you could get a nice used Colt for less than $500 or go "fancy" and get a Kimber .45, so MANY choices.

If this purchase is for home protection, let me advise you now to not waste your money on a handgun--get an el-cheapo Mossburg pump 12 guage and you are set.

Come one Roxran--you know you wana chime in!

11. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

I agree with about everything you just said EXCEPT for the part about the .40 cal. I think it's a great round.

Th reason everyone moved away from 9mm to .40 was b/c the .40 performed so much better - ESPECIALLY in penetration.
    Our military is having a huge problem with soldiers complaining about the crap performance of the 9mm round & the Berettas they are issued. It would be great if they went back to the old 1911s, but my guess is that they would look at going to .40s the way every domestice governmental group already has.

I love the .45s, but let's face it, not everyone can handle them, and the mag capacity is more limited.