1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guarding LaMarcus Aldridge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ag3ntgandhi, Apr 21, 2014.

1. verysimplejason

Just try trading for him next season...

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>McHale on Aldridge: &quot;He's been a handful for us all year long and we're going to have to…(cont.)</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/458129273987936256">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>McHale (cont.): ...come up with a couple of new ways to keep the ball out of his hands. We just didn't have any answers for him.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/458129338781556736">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If Aldridge can drop 40 on us with fallaways then let him keep shooting them. We need to get a little more physical with him though. I'd rather have Aldridge shooting 20 footers than the rest of the team with open threes. With his best game ever tonight they barely beat us. Harden isn't going to shoot that poorly again. We're fine. We just need to protect the paint better. Too much penetration tonight.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This, I'd rather Lamarcus shoot long twos than him scoring in the paint which gives him a lot of confidence

5. okeezie

okeezie Member

Aldridge is 7' tall and shoots over his head. Nobody is affecting his jump shot. Jump shooters will regress to the mean. The shots he hit were tough shots.He had a good night and Harden didn't. It's one game and Dwight and Omer were both in foul trouble. Chill out people.

6. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Our coach is pretty dumb...i don't even know if he ever heard of that term?

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I thought Howard was a 3x DPOY, why the **** can't we ask him to guard their best post player?

8. noone

noone Rookie

I know you guys love hero ball d-league allstars but I would put Casspi on him. He's agile enough to cause problems with his LA jumper and strong enough to hold his own. All you need is someone that's aggressive and Casspi will do that.

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

This team obviously never practice double teaming or zone defense. I never seen a single double teaming of Aldridge. They need to learn how to double team hard and switch players. Howard won't go out to guard Adridge when they do pick n roll leaving Adridge wide open for 3. Good shooters will make shot..it doesn't matter how far away from the basket.

10. rolyat93

Lmao, well he's not an athletic Dirk Nowitzki that's for sure.

11. okeezie

okeezie Member

He was in foul trouble the entire game. As was Asik. Pay attention smart guy!

12. noone

noone Rookie

LaMarcus Aldridge is soft. You can screw with him by putting a big 3 on him and you have that guy with Casspi. I know he's not the hero ball d-league allstar a niche nba crowd wants but I would put Casspi on him. He can't do any worse than the 46 and 20.

13. Franchize

Franchize Member

Lamarcus Aldridge is just too good. I don't think we'll be able to do anything about him.

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

LMA is a great player no doubt, but the Rox defensive philosophy is gonna make him look like an all time great if they don't make adjustments. Rox won 3-1 against the Blazers in regular season, but LMA punks the Rox on a regular basis. They can't allow LMA to punk them so bad in the playoffs, that's the Blazers main chance of winning this series. That would be playing right into Portland's hands.

15. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Just wondering, should they have sent Dmo into the game? I know LMA was having one of those games and it probably wouldn't have made a difference but so far this season, DMO has been the better defender then Tjones, and they were basically letting Jones go one-on-one at the end of the game so its not like we were using some sort of defensive scheme. Dmo knows his role, he doesn't try to do too much offensively and knows his minutes come from playing defense, if we aren't going to use the TT lineup, this seems like the only other alternative.

Your guys' thoughts?

BTW, not too irritated with the loss, a LOT had to happen for the blazers to win, the only thing i'm worried about is Beverley, man it's gonna suck if he can't play

16. noone

noone Rookie

DMo deserves a chance to prove himself before I write this but DMo has bigger lead feet than terrance jones. Aldridge will shoot fade a way jumpers against dmo too.

17. rolyat93

I was talking about from the tip. You know when we already had 4 games of knowledge that Jones gives Aldridge whatever he wants down low.

18. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

To guard Aldridge, you have to cut down on the offensive rebounds. Asik or D-Mo might be the guys to do it....Asik more so.

19. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Any of you guys remember how the rox defended Aldridge in 2009? I know scola had the main assignment, but can't remember if and how they doubled. All i know is, it worked, or it at least limited him.

Can we reproduce that or do we just not have the perimeter/veteran savvy on defense to make it possible. Or could it be that LMA is just a much better player then 09 and there's just not much we can do period.

Thoughts?

20. noone

noone Rookie

I think when Houston sends out guys with lead feet against Aldridge he will punk them. Lets not go out on tangents.