1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Guardian]How Hakeem Olajuwon tried and failed to stop the 90s sneaker killings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrm, May 27, 2015.

1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Something to distract from game day prep:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/may/27/how-hakeem-olajuwon-tried-and-failed-to-stop-the-90s-sneaker-killings

I haven't read it all yet, don't know how the articles ends

90s Sneakerheads might recount their stories of buying Etonics/LAGear & Dream's Spaldings

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

3. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I meant I hadn't finished reading at the time of posting :)

But yeah, somewhat ironic ending

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was so impressed with Hakeem's efforts back in the day, that I bought and used several pair of those Spaldings that Hakeem wore. It was crazy to think that one of the best players on the planet was on the court wearing $35 sneakers.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

these use premium quality real Italian leather, hence the price. Better quality materials than Nike.

i wish spalding would bring these back. never got them back in middle school because I only get one pair a year and they came out after i got my one pair lol

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too bad that's not how people think, the more expensive the more desirable.

Jordan still makes like 100 million off his shoes

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Man imagine if Dream's number was something random like 18. Couldn't sell DR18M.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

This article basically talks about supply and demand and marketing.

Poor people don't make smart economic decisions.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Starbury still makin bucks in China, sellin shoes....

11. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

It was really a shame more basketball stars didn't follow suit with what Hakeem was trying to do; such a classy move by the Dream.

Didn't those Spalding's have the words "FINISH" and "STRONG" on the soles, or was that just a dream (no pun) I had?

12. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I remember the Etonics and their cheesy commercials. But they were some of the most affordable shoes back then.

I'm not so sure it was an unselfish move, as it was a calculated move. I think the frame of thought was that kids of all ages could purchase the shoe, and they'd gain a bigger share of the market. Like the old saying says, (1% of 1,000,000 is still a lot of money). The cool factor of the "Jordan" and "Nike" brand with a lot more discretionary income from families due to less children allowed certain Luxury items. And high priced premium tennis shoes was one of them..... Back then if you had "Jordans", it was a status symbol, no different than if you drive a high end car today as an adult....

The strategy did not work out. But they get an "A" for effort.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I always loved Hakeem for this move.

crazy - the average millionaire doesn't buy designer clothes - its the lower, middle class and the super rich

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I wore low top versions of Spalding cross trainers that are similar to build and stitching to Hakeem shoes. Out lasted all the name brand sneakers I wore as a kid and they were like $19.99 retail with real premium leather etc..... Same show now would easily be north of $80s based on the materials.

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Being motivated enough to speak out about it and devote his time to it could be from unselfish motivation. Likely considering what we know about the guy. That the economics could have worked out doesn't detract from that - otherwise it couldn't be unselfish unless you're intentionally setting fire to money.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Hakeem's shoes were priced at $150 instead of $39, I still don't think people would buy them. In fact, I bet sales would be worse.

It's not about how expensive they are as much as how desirable. If the only air jordans were only $50 they would sell even hotter.

17. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Obviously the market didn't want the 35 dollar shoes because of the perception of the brand. 200 dollar Jordans are perceived as better and more sought after due to the high price. 120 is more affordable than 200 I guess.

At least the guy tried. The market rejected it.

18. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I don't buy designer anything. Im poor as hell :)

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Not if he was marketed correctly.

No, the reason why jordans are so expensive is the law of supply and demand.

People are willing to pay $200 then they'll charge $200.

Air Jordan shoes is the easiest economics story of the nba.

20. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Shoes are very dependant on the brand. Jordan can afford crazy good advertising to develop the brand due to the 200 dollar price point. Hakeem's 35 per shoe couldn't afford that