1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GSW Forwards/Centers Look Good in Preseason Win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Well, if they keep this up, GS may opt out sooner!

<i>HONOLULU -- Golden State Warriors coach Dave Cowens knows without Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal clogging the key, they have a good chance of getting inside.

The Warriors took advantage of O'Neal's absence, forcing the ball inside and using their fastbreak in the 99-89 victory Sunday. O'Neal was sidelined in street clothes while recovering from toe surgery.

"He's a big force there," Cowens said. "And with him in, it becomes a different game because you have to help out, but tonight we didn't have to help on a lot of people in the block,"

<b>Danny Fortson scored 13 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the Warriors in their opening exhibition game of the season.</b>

In addition to O'Neal, Los Angeles was also without Derek Fisher, Mark Madsen and coach Phil Jackson. Jackson left the team Tuesday after the death of his 94-year-old mother, Elisabeth Jackson, in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

<b>Troy Murphy added 13 points</b> while fellow rookie Jason Richardson had 12 points for the Warriors. Richardson was the fifth overall choice in the NBA draft while Murphy was the 14th pick.

"We think we're pretty lucky and fortunate to have the chance to get those kids," Cowens said. "They're really good kids, they like to learn, they got nice skills. I think they're going to get pretty good as you go along."

Assistant Lakers coach Jim Cleamons agreed.

"They have a well-rounded team," he said. "Their rookies, both Murphy and Richardson, are fine basketball players. They played all summer together and their veteran team had a lot of injuries last year and we knew they were strong inside so they did not surprise us."

Antawn Jamison had five points for Golden State in limited playing time. <b>Adonal Foyle had 10 points.</b></i>

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

... they are probably showcasing them in hopes of a trade, so they can sign the cheaper Jackson. I hope not. I'd love for us to get Jackson!

3. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

I watched that game here on kcal 9. And I got to say Danny Fortson is huge, he looks like a shorter Shaq. He is one strong guy, I really don't think there is anyone that can push him out of the block expect for shaq. He had no problem rebounding underneath with even 3 guys on him on 3 separate occasions. IMO he could be an allstar this year if he plays like he did on an consistent basis. Dampere looked good also, he ran the floor very well. They definitely have alot of big guys that can play, now I see why they wouldn't need to sign Jackson unless of health issues with there big man.

Jason Richardson had a couple of spectacular highlight dunks (one of them a monster windmild) but if Richardson wasn't scoring he wasn't doing much else. His outside shots didn't fall and he got blocked 2 or 3 times by Bryant. Richardson did not start. I wasn't really impressed with Troy Murphy as I thought he was somewhat slow but in the post he did play well.

Though I don't think the game was seriously played as the lakers used many of the unknowns to see who they would keep on their roster. Kobe played about 30mins and had 30 points. Horry played well and so did newly acquired Linsley Hunter hitting many outside shots from deep 20+ range. Mitch Richmond looked slow and alittle out of shape.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It would be nice to get Jackson in and playing with the fellas. I hope rice isn't damaged goods

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

LA#1,
    You're one of my favorite posters man. Even if no one responds to you, still know that many are reading and definitely appreciating your recaps.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I agree on Fortson LA! I remember watching a game with him and barkley going at it and he got the better of barkley, even though we won that game. Fortson is a hellava rebounder and low post scorer, but he's always getting hurt. Has there ever been a season where he didn't get hurt?

7. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Severe Rockets Fan - Very true Fortson gets injured often. If he could play a full season he would be one heck of a player to have. He's got to be one of the best rebounders in the NBA. And not to mention he's pretty quick for a guy that size. He's just so big, while watch GSW play I thought he was as big or bigger than Dampier, In fact I got them mixed up often because they looked similar in size. But with his injury history as well as the other Big guys on GS I could see why they might want to wait before making the final decision on MJ going to the rockets.

Kim - Thanks alot! I'm so happy that you like to read my post! : )

Also about the game on a side note, I don't think that Larry Hughes can run point for long streches (he looks to be the starter there). In the game against the Lakers when he was in the Lakers were ahead or very close. When M. Blaylock was playing the Lakers when down big. They got pretty good defense to shut down the middle too. If GS can stay healthy especially their frontcourt we better be cautious before labeling the W on them.