1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GSP vs DIAZ SIGNED for UFC 137!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by blahblehblah, Jun 2, 2011.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

WOWOWOW!!! Just the match I wanted for GSP!!! Not a fan of Diaz as a person, but I love they way he fights.

http://www.mmatko.com/georges-st-pierre-vs-nick-diaz-now-official-ufc-137-oct-29-in-las-vegas/

Nick Diaz has signed a new contract with Zuffa. According to Josh Gross’ Twitter, Diaz signed a “multi-fight, multi-year” deal which allows him to fight in the UFC and Strikeforce. It includes a provision prohibiting Diaz from boxing.

Ariel Helwani of mmafighting.com spoke to Cesar Gracie, Diaz’s manager and trainer, about how the deal was completed and what this means for Diaz’s Strikeforce future.

A transcript of the conversation can be found below.

Ariel Helwani: How did this deal get done?
    Cesar Gracie: We just sent the contract yesterday and it arrived in their office today.

Is Nick now a UFC fighter?
    You know what? That’s an interesting question and they have not told me how they’re going to structure that.

So is his Strikeforce belt on the line?
    I don’t know. I truly don’t. They haven’t told me if his belt is on the line. I don’t think so. This is not like that because if his belt was on the line that would make GSP the Strikeforce champion (if he wins). And then what? He’s going to fight someone from Strikeforce? I don’t think that’s happening. But then again, refer to Dana on that one because I truly don’t know.

Did Nick sign a one-fight deal with the UFC or a longer one?
    We have a new deal. Multi-fight, multi-year contract with the UFC.

How many fights is the new contract for?
    I can tell you it’s a multi-fight, multi-year contract. I can’t tell you how many fights.

So it sounds like he is a UFC fighter now.
    Right, but the contract does give the option to fight in Strikeforce. So what that opens up is the potential for him to also fight in Strikeforce.

Over the weekend, Dana White referred to some issues which were stopping this fight from being made. Do you know how those were resolved?
    There was a lot of misinformation — there were a lot of reports out there that weren’t true. Showtime, I don’t think was a problem, to be honest with you, at all. They don’t have a contract with Nick. Nick’s contract is strictly with Explosion [Strikeforce's parent company prior to the Zuffa purchase]. It has never been a contract with Showtime. So the reports you heard were erroneous and false. Other than that, the hurdles were the [Jeff] Lacy thing, stuff like that. I don’t know if they were Strikeforce, and if they were, Nick signed a new contract that dissolved his old contract with Strikeforce.

Do you know if Showtime is getting any kind of percentage of the pay-per-view?
    No idea.

Any idea why Vegas was chosen as the site of the fight?
    There were two venues they were looking at: one was in Canada and one was in Vegas. We didn’t know which one it was going to be until today.

Would you have been OK with fighting in Canada?
    I did tell them it would be better if we fought in Vegas, obviously, because then the belt wouldn’t have very much further to go once Nick gets it (laughs).

Do you think this marks the end of Nick’s run in Strikeforce?
    Hopefully. If he’s back in Strikeforce, I would imagine that’s because he lost his next fight.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

3. rawool

rawool Member

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOqxWX8aBXo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOqxWX8aBXo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

4. VanityHalfBlack

Didn't he get his ass whooped by some Korean guy in his last fight??? And now he's fighting the champion of the world????

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think you have him confused with his brother who is in the UFC, Nate Diaz. Nick is in Strikeforce and has won 10 fights in a row dating back to 2008 and his the Strikeforce Weltwerweight champion.

I'm glad the fight got made, but Nick Diaz can't deal with wrestlers and he doesn't protect his face. GSP will win this fight by jabbing him to death and staying away from his hands and then taking him down at will.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

GSP will not stand with Diaz, he's too safe for that. Plus Diaz has an iron chin no way GSP stops him with little jabs when Paul Daley couldn't even put Diaz away with flush shots.

I see this fight being GSP spamming take downs and getting all of them easily. Nick does have a chance for a sub win since he's a great BJJ player from the bottom.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah that's the guy, got the brothers mixed up... This Diaz from Strikeforce looks pretty solid, gonna be a tough challenge for GSP for sure...

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Big fan of GSP.

So...on a completely unrelated note...here's a quickie of Dan Henderson KO'ing Michael Bisping....

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/naN6tcA3ZAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

This card is stacked!

Penn-Condit is going to be an absolute WAR. Also, I hope Diaz embarrasses GSP, but seems like St-Pierre can cruise to an easy decision by simply wrestle-f**king Nick for 5 rounds. I'd love nothing more than to see Diaz pick the champ apart, and start taunting a battered GSP.

[​IMG]

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This seems very close to the supposed debut on FOX in November, I wonder if they will take it off PPV and move it to network TV.

11. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

How can you hate on GSP?

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Cuz he's boring and too safe, and this is coming from a big Canadian fan. I lost so much respect for him during the Shields fight, when he dropped shields and refuse to jump in for the finish.

That said, He will wrestle the hell out of Diaz and top control his way into a UD.

13. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Doubtful, after watching a couple videos of Nick's, he seems like a grade A douchebag. They wouldn't want someone like that to be their first network debut I don't think.

I think GSP will glide to another decision victory

14. Prince

Prince Member

he's the most boringest fighter in MMA today. he fell in luv with his gay tactics wrestling.. :eek:

15. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

After the Diaz brothers/Miller post-fight brawl on the Henderson-Shields card in 2010, there is no way anyone from their camp is gonna represent the UFC on national TV. Plus, GSP has the amazing combination of being able to sell PPVs while being a fairly boring fighter to a non-MMA fan; no way do they waste him on FOX and risk showing a 5 round wrestling match. Spider would have to be a lock for a FOX card; can't sell PPVs, but will throw down some crazy highlights; I would think that they'd get Uriah Faber as well considering his charisma and looks, and Cowboy Cerrone would be great for the undercard.

Any other fighters you guys think are made for broadcast TV cards? Don't think they'd waste a guaranteed 1M buys on any Brock fights, and the Bones/Rampage/Sugar trio are also probably guaranteed for 700+.

16. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Rumor has it Anderson Silva/Dan Henderson is slated to headline the first event on FOX.

After that, I'd look in to securing Rampage/Rashad II. Rampage is one of the promotion's most vicious strikers, and Rashad's a strong representative of the wrestling community that has emerged to dominate the sport... plus, they absolutely despise one another.

Then, to fill out the card, you look for aggressive fighters that tend to generate a buzz and put on a good show... guys like Melvin Guillard, Thiago Alves, Rory MacDonald.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I love Nick Diaz's balls out fighting attitude but I can't help but notice that his win streak is littered with either has beens (Sakurai, Shamrock, Smith) or very mediocre fighters (Noons, Santos, Zarumskis). You could say Daley is a notable exception but I never bought into hype, I consider him a 1 dimensional power puncher..props to Diaz for standing with him though and finishing him. Santos is not even a top 20 WW but he was able to kick the ever living crap out of Diaz's legs. GSP is going to wrestlefudge him to death.

18. sew

sew Member

That's if he wins his fight against Okami tomorrow. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually think this is going to be a tough fight.

They don't absolutely despise each other, at least not anymore.

Rashad even offered to train with Rampage for his fight with Bones.

Right now, it's clear Rashad's hatred for Bones > his hatred for Rampage.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/29/2...-to-train-quinton-jackson-for-jon-jones-fight

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Diaz all the way. I had his attitude a while back,love it.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Diaz decided to not show up to any mandatory fighter press appearances including the UFC 137 press conference today. Dana tried to get in contract and warned him but he was ignored. Now the fight is OFF and Condit now is replacing Nick Diaz to face off against GSP. Diaz is a r****d. GSP vs Condit should be a great fight.