1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Groundwater Contamination May End the Gas-Fracking Boom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not gonna happen; supply glut and low spreads downstream might stop it, but not this.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

...I don't understand how you can't apply that same logic to see how we need heating? ;)

3. treeman

treeman Member

I don't disagree. Where people's water is contaminated they need to be compensated, and generously. And the utmost care needs to be taken in the process to avoid leaks if at all possible.

But this isn't a reason to end the practice. The benefits FAR outweigh the costs.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yup.
    Agree with what you say. Compensate those heavily and generously that get affected, but we can't get rid of fracking. The benefits in this case do outweigh the costs.

Lot better for the environment and our wallets.

5. treeman

treeman Member

Holy crap, maybe we've finally found something we can agree on.

6. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Very true, now if only the USA can export that natural gas for us people in the rest of the world to use that would be great ;)

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Like I said before. I don't swing liberal on every single issue. I do for most though, just not for fracking.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If they can get overseas governments and utilities to sign some long term take-or-pay commodity and service/transport contracts to finance the LNG export terminal construction.

9. treeman

treeman Member

Hey, cool man. I am happy. This validates my theory that you are not an advanced oppositional 'bot sent to torment me by opposing every single argument I make on every single subject. So, you're a real person! ;)

So... If even you and I can agree on this, why can't the administration come on board? And why are they still blocking Keystone? We all agree that NG is the way to go, right? Why is State still stonnewalling? I know, it's a different issue... (not really)

10. Buck Turgidson

Thank you. Bob. I hope everyone that actually cares about the issues involved will read this post and do additional research.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Hydraulic fracturing is not a problem at all, we've been doing it for years before the shale boom. You must understand that the hydrocarbons will naturally find the path of least resistance through the wellbore as opposed to the seeping thousands of feet through hard rock. These cases of gas migration come from poor cement jobs where hydrocarbons flow up the annulus of the well bore instead of up through the wellhead. Isolated incidents like this can and do occur everywhere in the world, particularly with smaller and more risky operators.

Edit: After actually reading the article, what I've said is mentioned but they still seem to want to link the contamination to frac'ing. The "leaky wells" are the problem. A conventional well with a poor cement job would yield the same results.

#31 pmac, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Drilling for oil or fracking is not all that safe and will hurt the environment. It is just a matter of a cost benefit analysis. The crap they pump down there for motor to work is some nasty stuff. Sometimes that motor just gets stuck or lost.

Some companies take safety seriously, but many don't.

13. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

The facts don't line up with any of your statement.

14. Air Langhi

Why don't you explain to me why my statement is wrong. Drilling is a messy process. Why don't they just use water to power the drills, I mean water is pretty clean? Why do they have to use drilling fluid? What exactly do you think is in that drilling fluid?

15. Steve_Francis_rules

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's classified.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We would have to define "hurt the environment". A perfectly drilled well has very minimal negative effects on the enviroment, the bigggest impact is seen much further downstream.

Probably nowhere near as messy as you think if you're basing this on tv and movies.

The density of fresh water is often too low to maintain enough pressure while drilling to prevent a massive blowout.

Drilling fluid cools the bit and removes cuttings as it cycles through a closed loop. Often it's mostly just salt water and barite (a dense, naturally occurring mineral used as a weighting agent).

#37 pmac, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Eh, there are additives used at different points of the drilling process but most drilling fluid is fairly basic and standard for all operators in a given area.

The composition of completions fluids (like those used in hydraulic fracturing) are what operators tend to want to keep from their competitors.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Its all about the money . . . nothing else matters
    Who cares about THE PEOPLE!?!?!?!

Rocket River

20. Air Langhi

its not just always salt water + barite it depends on what material you are drilling through. In any case even pumping just salt water will effect the environment. That's why you are supposed to dispose of the salt water. Again I am not saying it is super dangerous. All I am saying it has an impact on the environment and saying it causes no environmental impact is not true.