1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies talking with Larry Brown about coaching job

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Achilleus, Apr 25, 2007.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

By 1991, the Clippers had had one of the league's longest, if not the longest, playoff drought. LB took those previous perennial losers to consecutive playoff appearances in the early '90s - a feat not been repeated since.

The Pacers, who previously lost in the 1st round of playoffs 4 times in a row, reached ECF twice under Brown in the mid-90s.

Likewise, the Sixers improved steadily in Brown's first 4 years there and went all the way to the NBA finals in 2001.

Sure Dumars was instrumental in rebuilding the Pistons' roster, but they definitely achieved less success in the post regular seasons without Brown than with Brown in recent years.

LB is a perfect coach to turn a franchise around in short period of time. His failed stint in NY is an exception to his long and outstanding coaching career. The only concern I have right now if I were the GM is his health, which could lead to his mental breakdown if things are not quite going well.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know why people are bashing this move. LB is a dictator who tends to wear out his welcome. Which means he's perfect for the Memphis. Memphis has a bunch of young talent who'll actually buy into his style, and won't clash too much with him. And if he can make Memphis win a playoff series or two, he'll at least upgrade the Grizz' status in the league as a team with no playoff wins.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The problem with your theory is the line "Memphis has a bunch of young talent". Unless they land one of the top 2 draft picks I would say they have the least amount of talent in the NBA, bar none. It isn't like Memphis underachived so much as their depth chart was so low on NBA skill.

Larry Brown would be much better off going to a team with more pieces in place who just havn't tapped into their potential. If I am LB I wouldn't touch Memphis with a 10 foot poll, unless they have hit the lotto jackpot (Durant/Oden).

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nuggets! Give him the Nuggets ASAP! Hell fire Karl now and give it to LB.

5. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

The LB/AI experiment has already failed.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No it didn't. An undertalented Sixers team made the NBA Finals one year.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought in the end they had a good relationship and all was well? In my mind the bigger issue is between Melo and Brown (Team USA) but the Nuggz need to focus on defense in the worst way. I could even see them utilizing a press if they add 2 more decent big athletic guards.

8. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

dude - he turned the pistons into a contender. he turned philly into a contender. he turned the pacers into a contender. he turned SA into a contender. The only place he failed was NYK - and he was only given a year with no power to get the talent he needed.

There's not a greater coach in the league when it comes to building a contender from junk

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Amazing coach even if you don't like him. He's far > than what we have.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Any sucker who signs this liar to a contract needs to put in a one dollar buyout.

11. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Agreed -p I hope the Grizz hires him. They have a good nucleus- 1st pick this year - whether they get Oden or Durant. I'm sure Larry Brown will find plenty to complain about while there. His psycho apporach to people issues will be their downfall. the dude is not a very nice - or well man.

He will abuse that young team and leave. Yes- we will own the Grizz!

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't he say he was done with coaching after the Knicks job?

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

http://www.peteholiday.com/pictures/attention-w****.jpg

The title to Larry Brown's autobiography....

14. Mordo

If the Grizzlies get LB and Oden, Oden will get Darko minutes for the next 3 years.

15. Mordo

Of course, he is a great coach! You are just now figuring this out? That's crazy. Too bad, the LB/AI experiment didn't work. He came back to the 76ers less than 3 weeks after Iverson got traded to the Nuggets. You think LB would have gone back to Philly if Iverson didn't get traded? LB going back to Philly after Iverson was traded has nothing to do with what he did to the pacers and SA. LB/AI experiment has nothing to do with his coaching stints at other places.

If you think LB should go to Denver instead of the Grizzlies, that's ok, New Yorker. I just think it wouldn't work again. That doesn't mean there is no chance. I am sure there is a chance of Iverson and LB reunion/experiment working out better, New Yorker. I agree with that, New Yorker. IMHO, things were better when he was with the Pistons and without Iverson. You might not think there is a better chance with the Pistons than Iverson experiment. I agree there is a possiblity you are right there also.

#35 Mordo, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007