1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizz shopping Mayo for #1 pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by srrono, Jan 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. srrono

srrono Member

Grizz Seeking First-Round Pick for Mayo?: With respect to O.J. Mayo, I’m told Memphis is looking for a No. 1 pic... bit.ly/A3Dn20

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The nets would probably offer our pick to them. Maybe we could nab Marshon if they do.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

lol, bro, just put the hoopsworld link up

no need to hide it... :grin:

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix
    With respect to O.J. Mayo, I'm told Memphis is looking for a No. 1 pick in virtually every discussion they have had about Mayo
    14 hours ago

4. Juck_The_Fazz

Juck_The_Fazz Member

he's worth it. too bad we're are stacked at that position

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why not get rid of some of our overload of players, at least make an offer?

DD

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course they are. He is a RFA next year. They already have plenty of guys that can score baskets. Somebody will overpay for him, and with 3 max players, Conley on a decent sized contract (a lot of people thought it was too much for Conley, but he's proving more than worth it so far this year).

Personally, I'm not interested in Mayo.

Now, if they put Speights on the market, I'd bite.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The guy's almost a perfect clone of Ben Gordon, except he thinks even higher of himself. He's maybe worth a mid-20s pick. Pretty sure you can find a combo shoot'em-up guard in the draft and have them for several years on a small dollar rookie deal. Mayo's qualifying offer this summer is $7M, which is already starting to overpay him.

If a contender needs to rent him because of an injury, okay.

Worst attempt at a nickname I've ever seen.

No, wait.

Thabeet tried to get away with stealing Dream's.

Carry on.

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Rockets trade- Scola, Bud, 2013 1st rd pick (lotto-protected), Rights to Sergio Llull, Dragic
    Get- Humphris, Brooks, Farmar,

Nets trade- humphris, Brooks, Farmar,
    Get- Scola, Bud, Grizz 2012 2nd rd pick, Rights to Sergio Llull, Mayo, Dragic

Grizz trade- Mayo, 2012 2nd rd pick (top-37 protected)
    Get- Marrow, Hou 2013 1st rd pick (lotto-protected)

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why would we even want him? Lee and Martin are both better than Mayo. I don't see any real upside to Mayo either. Plus he is a RFA who would we wouldn't bother extending. His qualifying offer would be $7.4 million.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Grizz shopping Mayo for #1 pick, honestly that's how I read that at first.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You aren't even trying.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Mayo is a chucker

Do not want

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You clearly hate Houston

16. thething

thething Contributing Member

Not valid--we can't give up our 2013 pick due to the stepien rule.

The only pick we can trade right now is the Knicks pick.

17. lalala902102001

Mayo's value has really gone south the last couple of years. I think he can benefit from a change of scenery and help a team that needs offense off the bench.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Dunno how high they're looking or who's interested, the Nets have Brooks and probably won't trade for Mayo unless they trade Brooks.

I can see contenders, the Celtics and Lakers might want him, but I don't think their pick will be high enough.

The Twolves need a shooting guard, maybe they trade for him? Are the Pacers still interested?

I know the Bulls have Rip, but with Deng injured and playing almost the whole game- would they try to take him?

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure the Nets make a move for Mayo. Their master plan is to hoard cap room to make a run at Dwight Howard in free agency (assuming that Howard isn't moved at the trade deadline AND elects not to opt out of his $19.5M+ salary for 2012-13). Mayo's cap hold would take a huge chunk out of that cap room.

Still, it's a possibility, given that the Nets would need SOME good young talent on the roster, especially if D-Will leaves. But in either instance, I don't think they'd trade Marshon Brooks. He's a good young scorer who is in the first year of a CHEAP four-year rookie scale contract. They'd hang onto him until after re-signing Mayo (at the very least) and then see what value they could get for him.

Gotta agree with robbie380 here, DD.

Mayo is only a small upgrade over Lee, yet he will likely command (and DEMAND) far more money next summer in free agency . . . probably because some stupid GM is more likely to overpay Mayo than to grossly overpay Lee. Plus, Lee's qualifying offer (and, more importantly, CAP HOLD) is far lower than Mayo's.

I know it's frustrating when you see a quality young player come on the market, know that you probably COULD acquire him if you really wanted to, but at the same time realize that you have no need whatsoever for that player.

If Mayo had 2 years left on his deal? Sure, I'd probably send out feelers on what it would take to get him (but not give up too much in the way of high quality assets). But with his contract running out in a few months, . . . no, thanks.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I really like Mayo's game, if not for the ego issues. He plays some really mean D at the sg spot too, he's basically a rich man's version of Courtney Lee. The only problem I see with him is he's looking to get paid, I'm not sure he's worth a 1st round pick as well as the 7M you have to fork for him.

1 person likes this.