1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grissom???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Greg M, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Greg M

Greg M Member

From the Sporting News:

Insiders are betting the team will address its problem in center by acquiring Marquis Grissom, if the Dodgers truly don't want him back. The Astros like Juan Pierre, but the Rockies may be asking too much in return. The club would like to trade LF Daryle Ward and switch Lance Berkman from center to left. They hope RF Richard Hidalgo can return to form. If not, Orlando Merced will likely platoon there again.

Doctors say RHP Shane Reynolds' back is fully healed, and he started working out in earnest last week. Don't be surprised to see him return.

-------------------------

The rumours begin but no orangewhoopass yet :(

Marquis is still solid in CF but the guy hit .244 in 2000 and .221 in 2001. He doesn't draw many walks, he's no longer a base stealing threat and he'll be 36 at the start of next season. Grissom instead of Ward or Lane? I hate the idea.

#1 Greg M, Oct 21, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2002
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ahh crap...separate from his production I developed a strong dislike of Marquis Grissom from back when he was a Brave. Then, added to that is his advancing age and declining skills. I REALLY don't want us to get Marquis Grissom.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With Brian Hunter on the roster, I cannot believe the Astros would sign Grissom. I seriously doubt Grissom will be signed.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

That has to be a joke.

And I can't imagine what the Rockies are asking for Pierre . . .

"yeah, he just had the worst offensive season in the history of baseball, how about a Pez Dispenser?"

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Grissom? The Astros would be better off just letting Hunter start in center field. And they should let Reynolds hit the road because its obvious he is washed up and eating alot in the cap.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I would really like to see the Hidalgo for Hampton and Pierre deal go down. Apparently Hampton may be willing to eat some of his salary should the Astros acquire him. He just moved his wife and kids back to Houston.

If we can't get Pierre out of that deal, I'd like to see Ward for Randy Winn.

Maquis Grissom is a clubhouse cancer...we really don't want that guy...not to mention that he isn't a leadoff hitter at this stage of his career.

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

Quoting from my lovely copy of Baseball Prospectus 2002, the best baseball book out there...

I highly recommend that book, even if the baseball season is over.

8. Greg M

Greg M Member

I'm all for bringing Shane back if his back is healthy and he accepts quite a bit less in salary. Hell the Mets got Astacio for what, 2 million last year? The team needs a veteran pitcher to go with Wade and Oswalt. 'Los hasn't put it together yet while Saarloos and Redding are very erratic at this point.

9. Refman

Shane's back will be a chronic problem which will flare up every so often. He'll start out really well and then go down for the season. We don't need more instability.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes but we do need all the starting pitching we can get. It is evident from last season that even with all our young pitching, 2 or 3 key injuries can really screw us up. If we let Shane AND Mlicki walk, I think we will regret it...and of those two, I would definitely prefer Shane.

11. Refman

I'm not too sure about that. I am confident that we could land a serviceable 3rd starter in a trade involving D Ward or something.

12. Greg M

Greg M Member

Ward won't net jack until he produces.

Shane could be a cheap healthy option. He says he feels great, the surgeon says he should have no more problems and Gerry agrees. While I'm not totally convinced, I don't know how you can declare that Shane's back will be a chronic problem.

13. Refman

Because this isn't the first time that he's had this same injury.

14. Buck Turgidson

It's been a chronic problem for 2-3 years now. I'd rather the 'Stros go after Ismael Valdes for $3+ million than sign a mid-30's pitcher with injury problems.

15. Greg M

Greg M Member

A couple of years does not make an injury chronic....more like persitent, improperly treated or on the way to becoming chronic. I'll let Gerry evaluate his prognosis.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ever hear of Tim Bogar?

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Bogar never had the privelege of playing at Coors Field.