1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grill Masters what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Jul 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. body slam

body slam Member

When I'm grilling steaks I can get them the way I like them, but I can not get the fat to melt with out over cooking them. What am I doing wrong? I know part of the problem is it does not have a thermometer.

Steaks are 1" think or however think HEB cut them and I usually quarter them before I cook them.

I like them cooked medium

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You talking about the outside? Probably trim it down some.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Most important thing for grilling/cooking a steak is letting it get to room temp before applying heat. Take it out of the fridge for a good 2 hrs to lower overall temp.

1 person likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Uh, what?

Sirloin? Ribeye? What cut of steak?

5. body slam

body slam Member

Outside with a small Weber gas grill.

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I salt and pepper them at least an hour before grilling. Gives the salt time to absorb in so as to not all be on the surface and draw the water out, while also bringing it to room temp. ~12 min on the grill should get it to medium.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good Stuff. Thanks. Never been a Grill Master myself

Rocket River

8. body slam

body slam Member

Sirloin about 1.5 lbs each I usually cut them into 3 or 4 pieces depending on the size.

9. body slam

body slam Member

12 minutes at what temperature? Right now I only have high and low but will be buying a infrared thermometer.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. You really are failing at this grilling and asking for grilling tips thing.

Kam is saying to trim the fat off before grilling. Also, why they hell cut it into smaller pieces before grilling? Why not grill whole and then cut into smaller pieces afterwards? Youre losing so much flavor and juices by grilling in small pieces.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

My grill tends to get pretty hot, even on low heat. I don't really trust the thermometer on the grill, but I'd guess it's around 350-375. I cook 1-inch boneless ribeyes for ~10 min bc I like them a little less than med-rare, which is why I'm guessing 12 would be good for medium. Always err on the low side, bc you can always put the steak back on, but you can't uncook it.

1 person likes this.
  12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Btw, if you want classic grill marks, I'd do 3 minutes, then rotate it 45 degrees. 3 more minutes, flip it over. 3 more minutes, rotate 45 degrees. 3 more minutes, done.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

:eek::eek::eek:

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The correct answer of course is HP sauce.

15. body slam

body slam Member

Well when I don't know I ask questions. Believe it or not I have picked up some pretty helpful things on ClutchFans.

16. Buck Turgidson

It's called A1 here in 'Murica.

17. Buck Turgidson

Get your coals or grill hot enough to hold your hand 1" over it for a 3-mississippi count, longer and it's too cool, shorter and it's too hot. Then grill the meat. 5ish minutes (?) on each side for medium (I don't know how to cook a medium steak) only flip it once. Tent with foil and let it rest on a plate for about 5 mins afterwards. THEN cut it up. Eat.

1 person likes this.
  18. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Season the meat with salt and pepper. Let it sit on the counter for an hour.

35 minutes later crank your grill to 6-700 degrees. Slap those steaks down, let them sit while you blow the foam off of your beer of choice. 4 Minutes later, flip those steaks and take another drink of your tasty beverage. Feel free to wave at anyone nearby and point out the shiny chrome of your grill.

After another 4 minutes pull that bad ass piece of grass feed goodness onto a plate with a splattering of Worcestershire Sauce and let it sit for ten minutes.

Continue to drink your beverage and Admire your work. After Ten minutes serve with your favorite sides.

1 person likes this.
  19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

1. Bring the steak to room temp before cooking. Just leave it on counter for at least an hour before.

2. DO NOT cut your steak before cooking it. In fact, do not cut your steak for at least 5-10 minutes after you pull it off the grill.

3. Trim the excess fat. You probably won't need to do this if you follow 1 and 2 above, especially if grilling sirloin which doesn't have high fat content.

1 person likes this.
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I would comsider myself a cook. Steaks I've pan fried and finished in the oven traditionally.

I got the Weber 2200 portable grill (w stand) and loving it so far. Not perfect at bbq'ing but getting better. The steaks I get are non fatty..NY Strip usually. $30-$50 steak for right around 10 bucks. Can't beat it.