1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Griffin puts together multiple sentences, T-Mo info, Francis info

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jan 4, 2002.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From The Chronicle

The magnetic resonance imaging test scheduled for Rockets forward Glen Rice was postponed until this morning.

Rice, who worked out before Thursday night's game, said he can tell his sore right knee has improved but that the MRI is needed to determine if it can improve enough to avoid surgery. If a surgical solution is needed, Rice could miss the remainder of the season.

"What's a couple more hours?" Rice said of waiting until this morning to be examined. "It's not like I've been doing a whole lot to really find out whether I'm healthy or not. The work I've done is enough to let me know I'm better. But it doesn't really satisfy you like seeing the results of an MRI. Then you can be sure if you're healthy or not."

Rice has been out since Dec. 8 and on the injured list since Dec. 18.

Going forward

Rockets forward Terence Morris struggled in his first career start last week, making just one of nine shots. He said he was not nervous but that there is a different feeling about starting. With Walt Williams out with a sprained left ankle, Morris was back in the starting lineup Thursday.

"This is a great experience thing for him, starting a game, going out against front-line players,"
    Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "I just have a feeling that Terence is going to be a really good, versatile player in this league for a long time with his size and all the different things he can do. He'll be a guy you can plug in on different situations. You're very valuable when you can go a couple positions."

First, however, Morris said he must get used to starting assignments.

"Eddie (Griffin) told me about that," said Morris, who finished with five points and five rebounds Thursday. "He said his first couple of starts, it felt different out there. He was right. It felt a little different.

"I would like to get a chance to start a game again. Hopefully, later on things will happen if I keep working hard and the coaches see that."

Griffin remembered warning Morris that there would be an adjustment to make, but he said he is now comfortable starting or coming off the bench.

"I told him it was going to feel different out there," Griffin said. "I was just letting him know starting is different. I was just happy to be out there, in a situation I hadn't been in for a while.

"I'm more comfortable out there now. I have more confidence. My teammates have more confidence in me."

In his five games prior to Thursday's return to the starting lineup (with Kenny Thomas out with a hip pointer), Griffin averaged 17.4 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.2 blocked shots. He also had his two most memorable offensive moments with over-the-head dunks.

The slams came in different games, but both were against the Lakers. Griffin said the dunk is not reserved for the league champions, however.

"You'll see it again," he said. "It's a way to protect the ball. I have to do better with that."

Leadership training

Rockets guard Steve Francis said he hoped that in addition to his play, he could infuse leadership into the Rockets' quest to come back from their horrible first two months.

"You don't say anything," Francis said. "You have to do it on the court. When we get out here and the guys see the kind of things you're doing as far as energy and executing plays, that's where it rubs off. I think I did a pretty good job in Golden State at being an example of how to play the game.

"People always say this is my New Year's resolution. `I'm going to do this. I'm going to do that.' We have to come together as a group and say this is definitely the month. We've got to make a push."

Francis missed Sunday's game in Los Angeles with a migraine headache. He said his migraine problems have been caused by a sinus condition and that he switched medication this week to try to prevent the problem that has bothered him since training camp.

Francis said that watching so many games -- he has missed 17 since Nov. 23, including 15 in succession -- helped him get a better feel for his teammates and opponents.

"It was a learning experience for me," Francis said. "I saw a lot of things I didn't see before. I missed games in my first two seasons, but it was never that many games consecutively. Where I could see how guys come ready to play, how some guys don't come ready to play whether it was on our team or another team, watching a lot of things on the basketball court helped a lot.

"They were trying to get me an assistant coaching job. That would be too much of a pay cut. Especially with the good threads I wear, Coach (Rudy Tomjanovich) told me I would outdress them. That was my best outfit, the one I wore in LA."

So, to recap:

1.) Griffin does in fact know how to talk, just in case anyone was wondering.
    2.) Rudy thinks Morris will be around the league for a long time.
    3.) Rice's MRI gets postponed, for no apparent reason.
    4.) Francis can outdress our assistant coaches.

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

The reason that Fox 26 said for the delay in Rice's MRI was that the wait was too long, and so it was postponed.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Someone mentioned in another thread that maybe Steve picked up on things about team play while injured that he wouldn't have otherwise. Steve seems to have confirmed that. Good call.

Eddie is indirectly quoted as saying he's comfortable either starting or coming off the bench. I'd like to see Eddie start, but I'm not with the Start-Eddie campaign. As long as he gets 25, 30+ minutes, I think that's all that matters. Remember, it's not whether you start the game, but whether you end that game that really matters. I'll gladly join an End-With-Eddie campaign.

I can practically see Rudy drooling over potential small-ball lineups of Eddie/TMo/Cat/Steve/Mooch and Eddie/TMo/Oscar/Cat/Steve. Those lineups could outrun, outathleticize the Clippers. If we had a good fast-breaking team, of course.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Where are the two handfuls worth of posters who thought Eddie was a bust (after 20 games)? Kinda quiet now. Where are the posters who questioned Rudy's talent evaluation skills?

Griffin is a stud. I suspected he could "talk." I just figured he was a quiet guy.

5. writhe

writhe Member

I wonder which players on the Rockets roster Stevie thinks don't come to play.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato would be my first guess.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I second that..

8. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

"Where are the two handfuls worth of posters who thought Eddie was a bust (after 20 games)? Kinda quiet now. Where are the posters who questioned Rudy's talent evaluation skills?

Griffin is a stud. I suspected he could "talk." I just figured he was a quiet guy".

I was definetely one of those posters..It's a good thing i am not a coach or a scout! The guy is amazing!

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm glad somebody flagged this comment. I thought this was an important point in the article.

10. Uprising

Griffin has shown himself to be a franchise player, just like francis. EG!!!

11. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

At this point, I am wondering whether EG should have been picked #1. I am not saying that Kwame is no good but it does seem like we may have gotten the number 1 pick as some, including Rudy, had said.

I would also like to say that it is a myth that EG gets pushed around. I think that is overblown. The guy has some big legs and is too good a rebounder to be considered a feather and easy to move.

I did not question EG abilities, but I was one of those putting the grace of god on him in the game chats and in a couple of posts. I would also like to take back my comments on Rudy T's lack of creativity. I saw lots of it last night. I have started taping the games so I take repeated looks at what is going on. It will even get better over time when things settle down. Although I got frustrated with Steve's handling of the double team in the 3Q las t night, the offense is getting various good looks. As our 'prone to go one-on-one" players trust more (Jeff) the genius of Rudy will be more evident.

12. Uprising

I couldnt agree with you more. Griffin is no feather, he may still be called a youngin and still needs to learn, but his defense and offense is amazing to me. I know I have only seen Griffin in a couple of games, but it has been more than enough. EG!!

13. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

I think it's great that Francis has been able to pick up some stuff while being out and watching from the sidelines, but couldn't he have done the same thing without having to be on the bench? Do NBA players not watch that much videotape?

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brocktoon,

With the amount of flights and games, NBA players don't have as much time to analyze video tape as other sports, I assume.

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Brocktoon,
    Plus video tape doesn't show you the whole picture. It's like experiencing a game live or on TV. Very different.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What's up with the Feigen facts,

I've counted 3 Griffin "over-the-head dunks, not 2. lol

btw: post game interview on the radio Gene asked Griffin point blank about not getting the low post looks, yet. Griffin's answer was that he needs to "work on it." "get better." "That is something I plan to work on in the summer." Something tells me that is not the answer Gene or the bbs wanted.

The roaming blocks are outstanding, but what also has me giddy is how he is moving without the ball now. He seemed to be in great weakside sync with Francis. That is something we need so badly. That is movement at the moment. t.h.i.n.k.i.n.g.

#16 heypartner, Jan 4, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2002
  17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Working on low post moves? Sounds like a 4/5 to me.

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed was how Griffin got the ball in different positions than with Francis, and wasn't always fully expecting the pass, or wasn't getting it exactly where he want (too low, too high). It seemed to get better as the game went on.

I thought Griffin's confidence quote was important. The trust between the entire team is coming.

How about Morris? He hit a jumper, and did an excellent job rebounding. He fills the Shandon role, and has better physical tools for SF. Not to mention is about 1/12 of the price.

18. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

First, please do not describe Tmo as fitting the shandon mole. First of all it is extremely inaccurate, and limiting, and it is unfair to Tmo.

It very nice to see Tmo hit that sweet jumper last night.

19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even though Morris had a quiet night, I saw alot of things that I liked. He shows great anticipation of which direction a rebound is going (if only Cato could learn this) and that one move where he blew by his man on the baseline and dished to Cato (who should have moved close enough to the basket to dunk, although his pass to Francis was pretty nice too) looked all-pro and totally under control to me. Although I'd like him to "break out," I also kind of hope he remains a quiet yet all-around player. That way the Rockets can keep him. Hope his shot improves though.

Of course, what can you say about Francis and Griffin (5 BLOCKED SHOTS!!!)? If Griffin keeps producing this consistently he'll be give Battier and Gasol a good run for Rookie of the year.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I had said in the "this player will not fall below this team's pick" thread that Griffin wouldn't drop below the 4th pick in the draft. In fact, many "experts" had predicted him #1.

Too soon to tell, but I wonder if Jordan regrets taking Brown as #1? I would say that Brown is real young, but I think Eddie is only a year older; though he has faced better competition. Maybe MJ out foxed himself with that pick.

As a player, does Kwame bring anything to the table that Eddie doesn't? Does Kwame do anything better than Eddie?