1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Griffin, MoT, KT...whose better?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by off_welfare, Jul 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

OK.....I've been holding my lips shut on this one but too many people are quick to open their mouths and say Griffin is better than KT and MOT for the PF position. I'm very curious as to how that is possible?? HMMM PF=POWER Forward. What power does he possess. He has nothing on them! I'm not bashing Griffin or anything because I could care less who is really better I'm a Rockets fan so if they succeed as a team I am happy. But all of you who are quick to trade KT and Mo; I just dont see the reasoning??? Feedback plz?:mad:

2. tozai

tozai Member

Griffin is best overall player, Mo is paid too much, and KT has high value for a trade.

I like all three but would be most likely to trade KT.

Does Duncan use POWER, what about Webber, or Rasheed? Those are 3 of the top 4's in the L.

Turn-around jumpers and spin moves to bank shots aren't power. The power forward of today is not the same of old. Eddie has an inside-outside game, is very versatile and still has huge room to grow. Mo fits in well with the team, but is not as versatile as Eddie, but more than KT. KT bangs and has basically two moves and an inconsistent mid-range J. His talent is almost maxed out. They're all good players, but Eddie has the brightest future and Mo seems like our second PF with KT being the odd man out.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I think it seems readily apparent that Griffin has by far the higher ceiling of the three. Whether or not he is better than the other two right now is definitely debatable. But using the "power" reason to suggest Griffin isn't better than KT and Mo doesn't seem valid, in my opinion. Mo is far from a "power" forward himself. Despite his bigger weight and girth, I am quite confident that he will not average more rebounds a game than Griffin this coming season. KT has a bit more of a "power" game, but he is still undersized as a PF, so that is to his disadvantage. Kenny is really more of a SF that can't shoot playing PF. He uses his quickness to take advantage of the other PFs. They all have different skills, but right now, I think EG has the wider array of skills available. And one of those skills is defense, which this team has little to speak of, so it comes at a higher premium. At this point, I think Griffin is better than the other two, but I am sure Taylor will start because Rudy wants Griffin to earn the starting spot, and not have it handed to him.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

MoT will start and should but EG is going to get serious minutes. This season, EG WILL END IT AS OUR BEST FRONTCOURT PLAYER. He will get the better of Dirk, Horry, Malone, Webber and hold his own against Duncan and Garnett. As you saw, last year, he had already done a good job against them already.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

how come folx think TMO can develope a jump shot
    but KT who has a decent shot already cannot possibly
    get better.

Rocket River

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

it's not that he can't get better

he can't get taller

that is just a real problem in the West

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think many people actually THINK that TMo can develop a jump shot, they just hope that he will. And the reason for this is that we need help at SF a lot more than at PF. KT does have a decent shot, I suppose, but Mo can shoot much better than KT, and EG does just about everything else that KT does. Therefore, KT is somewhat expendable. TMo plays decent defense, rebounds well and blocks shots well as a small forward. If he could get the consistent shot, that would be the full package. But personally (and I think a lot of BBS posters agree with me), I don't think Morris will ever develop that shot.

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

KT has a pretty decent shot. He used to have range out to the three point line but has since come in to about 20 feet. I would rather him shoot from 20 than Mo but Mo had that automatic shot 12 feet off the block. The reason people don't think he can get much better is because he's gotten so much better allready. He's pretty much exceeded our expectations and has overcome a body that at first wouldn't let him do the things many players can. He worked so hard last summer that he came back one of the skinnier pf's in the league. However in Tmo's case, he hasn't come close to reaching our expectations of him which explaines why we still think he can get better. That and the fact that he's only been in the league a year.

10. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

If Griffin doesn't start, he will win sixth man of the year.

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Toaz, you said Griffen had an inside-outside game, now before I make my point know this Im a Griff fan, but Griff has an OUtside game, right now, but his inside game has yet to be seen.

I do feel his ceiling is as high as KG's if not more!

But I dont think he has an inside game yet

12. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Sorry Griffin lol typed an E instead of an I

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Griffin definitely has the most potential out of the 3. The reason people are saying (including me) KT will get traded is because he is pretty small to play PF and too slow to play SF. We need MoT for his strength, he is probably the strongest Rocket, we need Griffin for his size. Once Griffin gets some serious muscle and minutes, he will be unstoppable. So think:

Griffin=height, skill, and strength (it's coming)
    MoT=size and strength, and pretty good offensive game

Griffin+MoT=KT is the odd man out

14. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

The other reason that we think that Tmo can get better is because he has a very good NBA body. And as far as Griff we all know what he can do because we have seen it before in the Summer League and when he was at Seton Hall he was amazing. He just needs to acclimate to the NBA personally I think that they need to leave him alone and not push him to losing weight I mean look at KG if he learns to use his body like that his weight wont matter. And imagine all of our team when they reach their potential. Ming will be unbelievable, Nachbar subtly spectacular, Griff Dynamic, and Franchise and Cat are already the best 1 2 cobination in the league.

15. Ya0

Ya0 Member

I'd rather have kt than mo-t.

16. Miggidy Markell

Out of the three... Griffin has the edge clearly on the defensive end.

17. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

1T. Griffin - in a couple years, he will be best

1T. Kenny T - most polished post moves and man-to-man D

3. Mo T - best 15 footer out of the bunch; worst rebounder out of the three

18. Panda

Panda Member

Do KG and Nowitski have much power?

If the relevant reports are true, EG is closing on to 240 lbs, several pounds away to the ideal weight to play pf.

As for potential, EG will be a star. MoT and KT are just nice role players.

Right now EG is better than MoT overall, better than KT defensively, worse than KT offensively.

19. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Eddie Griffin will be the best 2 years from now IMO. But right now, I would have to go with Mo Taylor. He has the best shot and defense. Griffins shot will be killer in a few years hopefully. I like KT, but his height hurts him against some Power Forwards.

20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK here's a question. It is a common opinion that Griffin will be the best of the three soon enough. It also is a common opinion that Kenny is the best trade commodity we have. Partially because of the glut at three and partially because of Mo's injury making him hard to trade. Also we generally admit that Kenny is fundamentally hampered by his size, so how much can we get for him in a trade.

How about we just suck up three pfs this year and trade Mo Taylor next year. Taylor basically starts this year and gets time to prove himself to the league. Many teams will jump through hoops for size. Kenny rides the bench this year as Griffin gets heavy back up pt for a year (two if necessary) to develop. Then Grif is the starter, Kenny is the sub.

By trading Mo next year instead of Kenny this year, can we get more back in trade value?