1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greta Van Fleet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the shark, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

+1. I have a yodeling station on Pandora and it’s Jewel and a bunch of 100 year old recordings. It all sounds very similar.

Truly original sounds are rare now, are considered experimental and can be harsh or strange to the average listener.

If it’s good it’s good. The end.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think rolling stone is pushing these dudes way too hard and constantly proclaiming them the saviors of rock music. or that rock was dead until greta van fleet came along. the only reason i even know who these kids are is b/c i follow rolling stone on facebook and for a while they had an article a week about them.

the robert plant comparison is too hard to get beyond for me. the band almost sounds like a parody and i saw them on SNL and that dude looks like he is 14, dressed like a hippie from 1969 and singing like that...i was just laughing every time he opened his mouth.

the only reason most people even talk about greta van fleet or know who they are is b/c his voice is so much like plant. so in that respect, it might be smart to continue singing that way...bad press/attention is better than no press/attention.

theyre still really young and if they can find their own voice maybe they can have some longevity, but if they keep treading down the same path theyre on they are going to fall off the radar quickly. the hype and media machine will dry up and people will quit talking about them.

TheFreak likes this.
  3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I liked them at ACL - especially when they played Weight of Dreams.

4. ths balla

ths balla Member

I laugh when people try to summarize an entire band or or artist off of 1 or 2 songs on a talk show or SNL...I have seen them live 3 times, vocals are great live and the guitar solos are amazing. Should check out their latest album, great stuff.

leroy likes this.
  5. jo mama

i wasnt trying to summarize them. i was just pointing out that i cant get over the fact that he sounds like plant and that when people talk about GVF that is the first thing everyone mentions. im far from the first person to point that out. they are good at what they do, but for me i just cant get over the fact that he is doing a straight-up robert plant impersonation...for me, its at a level where its basically a parody and it prevents me from actually listening to the music and songs. his voice is a distraction in that way.

music is subjective and if others like them thats great. they seem like they might be nice dudes and theyre out there doing their thing and not hurting anyone. but i do think there is a lot of media hype around the band and i laugh when people call them the saviors of rock. generally, when young artists get labeled like that it doesnt pan out...like i said, if they can evolve and develop their own sound and if that singer can figure out his own path they might turn into a great band.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you like GVF, check out her brother Fred.

-Carl Herrera

htownrox1 likes this.
  7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the worst and most unoriginal bands getting significant attention today.

It is possible to wear your influences on your sleeve (or in other words, not be very original sounding) but still have a fresh take. GVF is not fresh - they’re staler than the hot dog buns at a 7-11. The vocals are straight unlistenable - the singer has been compared to Robert Plant but he’s more like the unholy offspring of Geddy Lee and Mark Slaughter.

In case you need a refresher on that latter comparison

I pray GVF has their “Rock Me Tonight” moment soon so I can stop hearing (and hearing about) them.

8. ths balla

ths balla Member

I understand the inability to get over the Plant impression and it is def subjective but I am also young enough to not have listened to enough Plant to have it bother me. From a pure lyric and music perspective I think what they are doing is great, are they the "saviors of rock?" I wouldn't say so but I also have a really small selection of rock to listen to these days.

jo mama likes this.
  9. jo mama

you have been on here almost 20 years...you aint that young brah! definitely not too young to have gone through the "teenager discovering zep for the first time" phase that all of us gen x'ers went through at some point.

i dont buy that rock music ever died - its evolved and gone in a hundred different directions, but its not dead. its not what it was in the 1970's and its not as important to youth culture as it once was (thats an entirely different topic which i definitely have an opinion on - social media and video games are what R&R was to boomers and millennials). tying that back to GVF, when i hear people saying that they are the saviors of rock that tells me that they still think of rock as being what it was in 1976, which it clearly is not.

#29 jo mama, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  10. ths balla

ths balla Member

hahaha shoot 20yrs flies man, but "only" 33 lol I get what your saying though, any reccos on current rock artists that you listen to?

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I liked the first album…but I’m now thinking it was a novelty more than I actually liked it.

12. jo mama

as far as "rock" as its traditionally known there is a band here in austin called white denim who are great. garage/punk/prog/classic rock/jam band done with a DIY aesthetic. cool songs and great musicianship.

for any baseball fans out there, the singers dad is geno petralli, who was a catcher for the texas rangers.

unfortunately, this drummer and lead guitarist left the band a few years ago to produce leon bridges. theyre still really good, but i loved this line-up and especially that drummer.

this was after the OG lineup switch...lead guitarist here is a friend of mine and for my money, the best guitar player in town. he was only in the band for a couple years.

#32 jo mama, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    ths balla likes this.