1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gregg Williams out in JAX

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FLAGRANT1, Dec 14, 2008.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

link.

Gregg Williams is a proven coach in this league with a clear identity on his defenses. Jacksonville was his only option after being screwed over in Washington. He was given a young defense with a young line absent it's perennial pro bowl talent lost through cost cutting measures in the offseason. I believe that hiring him after he leaves JAX would benefit us two fold. 1) It would block Tennesee from potentially hiring him and 2) It would give our very hungry defense an identity which I believe potentially could be the final piece to our play off future

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

the texans won today, in case you missed it while scouting available defensive coordinators - what say we talk about that and leave **** like this for the offseason, huh?

jesus christ, some of you people simply *amaze* me...............

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Would it be ok to post it if the Texans lost today?

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm always surprised when season long themes are brought back up too. Especially when something relevant to them happens.

5. Hey Now!

maybe i took out some frustration on FLAGRANT1; but this knee-jerk, "nothing is ever good enough" fan is grating. are we incapable of enjoying *anything* these days? does everything come with a side of "yeah, but..."?

on the same day the defense played, arguably, one of its best games in franchise history... i can't imagine why anyone would want to talk about a new defensive coordinator.

they just best the 12-1 titans; they're 7-7; they have a legitimate shot at 9-7; they've won 4 in a row; they've won 7 of 10; they're a historic collapse away from being in the playoff race...

this is, for the texans, their best stretch of football *ever *- i don't think requesting we hold off on idle speculation until after the season is asking too much, do you?

6. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

How about-Don't respond?

R U Richard Smith?

Jesus Christ already knows who the D-coordinator for next year will be. I'm opening it up to the bbs.

7. msn

msn Member

ott, ric. ott.

It was a tremendous defensive effort today. Damn fun and exciting to watch. But I don't know how one great game exculpates Richard Smith from the scrutiny his earlier work has raised.

8. msn

msn Member

To the point of the defense's recent performance: in the last two weeks the opposition is like 3-for-23 in third-down conversions.

Damn.

Somebody who knows something (read: someone other than msn), please comment on the following for me:
    • Why do you suppose we (finally) see more blitzing the last few weeks?
    • Is the secondary looking better because of the blitzing?
    • Why no blitzing earlier this season?
    • Are there better questions to be asked? :)
    • What other factors are precipitating this turnaround? I mean, yesterday was awesome. Just a brilliant, dominating performance. Damn fun to watch.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

irony

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He would be a huge upgrade over Richard Smith.

DD

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Defense has sucked most of the year but has performed really well in recent weeks. So the question when determining what to do with the defensive coordinator position is what part of the season do you give more weight?

Of course fans are already looking at next season. We have nothing to play of in terms of playing in the postseason. Going 9-7 or 8-8 (winning 5 of the last 6) will only serve as momentum going into next year. I even heard Dunta say something like "better look out for the Texans in 2009" as he was running off the field.

So I don't see the harm in looking to the future and seeing where we can improve so we can get over the hump. I don't think it stems from a "nothing is ever good enough" attitude. I think the optimism about the team as a whole creates the desire to correct the parts that have held us back.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

People dont realize that stability sometimes is the best way to go. If we keep switching coordinators, wont that just make our waiting time longer? There are some flaws with our defense that we are going to have to live with just because we dont have the players. Earlier in the year we are damaged greatly in the secondary. Robinson comes back and now we seem more alive. With that said, lately weve been doing well on both sides of the ball because of coaching. Notice the different packages of blitzes were putting and the different looks we are giving the opposing quarterbacks. Weve also had a very tough schedule this year and when we have to play Indy twice a year, youre pretty much going to get blitzed at least one of those times

13. Hey Now!

or... don't post.

??? what is ott?

msn, i'm simply proposing that this kind of stuff is better served in the offseason, especially in the after-glow of yesterday's win.

these knee-jerks have spent every single week this season calling for someone else's head: kubiak, smith (gm) schaub, smith (dc), mcnair... and here we go again, on a the same day we beat the 12-1 titans - have we reached a point where we're incapable of enjoying anything?...

oh, thank god - it's you...

what's ironic about that, pgabriel?

14. msn

msn Member

over the top

There is nothing unreasonable, considering the timing of Williams's departure from Jacksonville, to pose a question as to whether he may be a fit for the Texans, even though the defense has been just awesome the last few weeks. They still sucked like five-year-olds earlier in the year.

There's a line between encouraging folks to raise the level of discourse and acting like the "post police", and I don't mean that as a personal swipe. I think your response was ott, and you were best served to ignore this thread if you think it's stupid, as a lot of us don't.

I know you disagree with that, and it's fine. Perhaps I'm the one who should have chosen not to post!

I'm much more interested in your response to the post that immediately followed my "ott" comment. I'm intrigued at the turnarond of this defense; I want to read some well-reasoned, well-informed commentary on it.

anyone...? aaaanyone.......? :D

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the defense has played bad all season, now they have one good game and you say we should be talking about replacing the coordinator, that's a knee jerk reaction

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They've actually had 4 really good games.

Opposing teams are 9 for 43 in 3rd down conversions over the last 4 games. That means basically we are holding on 3rd down 4 out of every 5 times. Amazing compared to the first 10 games of the season.

17. Hey Now!

timing? here's the story: i've added some important emphasis: ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Gregg Williams will be out as the Jaguars' defensive coordinator after the season.

i certainly don't mind discourse of this nature - and maybe i took out a season's worth of "so-so is available, should we get him?" posts on FLAGRANT1 - but shouldn't we at least wait to see if there's even going to be a need for a new defensive coordinator? and isn't talking about the win more fun?

it's actually fairly easy: competition. they played 4 (very likely) playoff teams in the first 5 weeks of the season; they've played 4 playoff teams in the 10 weeks since.

that's not the ONLY factor, but it's probably the biggest, certainly among the biggest.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that doesn't explain yesterday though...or the big plays they made in Green Bay. those are 2 quality opponents.

19. Hey Now!

i said we shouldn't talk about replacing the coordinator until after the season, pgabriel.

here, i'll quote my original response for you:

20. Hey Now!

i thought tennessee called a lousy game yesterday. they abandoned the run too early and then inexplicably turned the game over to collins, despite how terrible he looked. i mean, he looked positively baby vince-like.