1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Smith should start at the 4. Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan4, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Smith is pretty much the only legit low post scorer on our roster. He's also the only legit 4/5 on our roster. He fills a big hole on our team. I hope Morey and his agents are working out a long-term extension right now.

2. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure if that would be a good move. Not saying it's gonna happen with Greg but there's a lot of history in the nba where players lose their drive once they sign a long term contract. I would like to see him play for at least one whole year before contemplating this.

3. Aruba77

i get that, and there is def. a risk, but i guess i'm worried about him becoming a free agent at the end of next season, and us not being able to pay him, or having to pay him well in excess of what we would if we locked him up now. I feel like you can always move 6'10" 4/5's as long as they are signed to reasonable contracts.

4. rzorocks

rzorocks Member

give him the max contract

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Goodbye Asik :(

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Knee-Jerk Sarcasm.....right?

7. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Its one good game and yall talking about benching him over Asik.

1. Why would the Rockets bench there best rebounder? Who is going to rebound than?
    2. Yeah bench all of our big contract players COACHING STAFF WONT let THAT HAPPEN
    3. Lets just give him a huge contract over one good game Hahahah your funny

8. bongman

bongman Member

We probably would also want to see how his body holds up in an full season to make sure he is not injury prone.

9. Aruba77

no one in their right mind would suggest benching him over Asik. In Asik we are looking at this year's most improved player. It will be neck and neck between him and Parsons.

10. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Just checked Greg Smith's info. Wow, he was un-drafted in 2011 and played in Mexico and the D-league before Morey signed him in Feb. Now, some people even discussing about him being an all-star material and suggesting he be a starter and giving him max contract. Talking about progress in his career...:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Smith_(basketball,_born_1991)

11. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Agree with this. Smith is most valuable to this team as a back-up to Asik, not as a starter beside him.

12. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Also agree. Asik has done well with extra minutes, but his productions seems to drop off in the second half due to fatigue. Cut his minutes down so he can go all out, and give Smith enough minutes to develop. So few teams have a good center, let alone two. Their combined production should really wear out/outwork most teams' production from that spot.

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

Absolutely NO NO NO. he doesn't have PF's offense skills.

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

mmmm, no I prefer a 4 who can at least shoot a 15' jumper, we already have a big who can't shoot from outside 3 feet, we don't need another, but it's good against certain lineups.

15. Aruba77

if Smith's excellent FT% is any indication, hopefully he'll be able to develop a sweet mid-range game sooner rather than later.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't really care if he starts or comes off the bench, I'll leave that up to the coaches. I'm just really happy for the kid. He wasn't drafted, he spent most of last year in the D-League, he gets his chance and he comes up big. I don't know what he will become as a player, but he's only 21 yrs old and he has plenty of room to grow.

I also like that he is showing D-Mo and TJones that just because you don't get many minutes early in your rookie season doesn't mean that you won't get a chance in the NBA. Smith has been patient, done what the Rockets have asked him to do, and now it's paying off and he is making an impact.

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I want to see a mentally prepared & ready Terrence Jones paired up with Greg Smith later this season.

Potentially toughest bench in league:

5. Greg Smith
    4. Terrence Jones
    3. Marcus Morris
    2. Carlos Delfino
    1. Toney Douglas

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Here's what I think might be the real relevant question: Will Greg Smith be ready to be the starting 5 within the next year or so?

I mean it's REALLY early in the season, but if anyone teaches you that performance in limited minutes can translate when a guy receives bigger minutes, Omer Asik is that guy. Smith's per-minute numbers are really good and his one stand-out statistical trait, high FG%, does not look like a fluke but instead seems to reflect his good touch and power around the basket.

I like Omer and hope that the Rockets keep him, but he's valuable to both the Rockets and the other 29 teams in the league and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a part of the price for getting a 2nd max player on board. If Greg is ready for bigger minutes down the road, his small salary this season and next would also help give the Rockets extra cap room if Omer is traded in a deal that brings back less salary (like a deal for a draft pick or a guy on rookie contract).

For now, though, I think the most valuable thing Smith can do, assuming his good play continues, is giving the coaches more confidence to rest Omer when he gets tired and as a chance of pace when a quicker alternative at the 5 is needed.

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Breath of fresh air, he actually rolls to the paint on drives instead of running to the 3pt line. This kid is a throw back type of PF, physical and is a presence in the paint. Landry and Hayes combined "Smhandry"!!

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I'd like to see a whole season of this type of effort before we start talking about throwing major money at him.