1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Smith should start at the 4. Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan4, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd really like some thought and insight into if it's the best combination for the rest of the season with Patterson being the 6th man getting 20-25 min?

2. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Do you like clogged arteries? Because that's what the lane will look like with Asik and Smith in there with the rest of the starting 5.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Smith is our new and improved version of Chuck Hayes!

4. Metta

Metta Member

As much as I'd love to see Greg Smith become one of those great undrafted NBA success stories, I need to see more, a lot more, before I board the "Start Greg Smith" bus.

Even scrubs put points on the board playing against D'Antoni teams.

Having said that, I hope to see a lot more out of Greg... Be a star Greg Smith... Go get 'at sht!

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Hahaha, I appreciate these points of view. I have actually been watching Smith closely since preseason. I took his various tools, ability, attitude, and upside into consideration. I was going to make this thread in preseason but thought I would give it some time. Maybe I have been watching him more closely than others if people think this recommendation was based on 1 game.

7. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Asik and Smith work well together for a tough front court in certain situations. But it'd only cause problems for 3 other players who like to get to the rim. If we have douglas, delfino, and parsons in with those 2 it might work. But not in the starting line up.

Why do you think Pat is shooting 3's for the first time in his pro career? Because coach gave him the green light becayse we need to stretch the floor for our drivers.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

No. Ideally you would want someone who can stretch the floor a bit more at the 4.

9. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

It's a shame we don't have a 4th year team option on him at poverty wages. Great foresight Morey.

10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I like him but no yet. 2Pat is a much better shooter and we need him to space the floor.

11. demarco1

demarco1 Member

No.. just leave it to the coach, a man that play better is a man in the court, not good then go to the bench

12. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

He's gotta be able to space the floor though. Sure he's bigger and more aggressive than Ppat. But ppats got a great shot.

13. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

^ I like this idea. :cool:

14. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I just imagine the OPs of these knee-jerks just being all giddy and giggling with joy as they write it. It sickens me.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think Greg has earned consistent rotation minutes off the bench, backing up Asik when he is off the floor. But that is all (so far). Saying he should start is a huge knee jerk.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

When going against real competition like the Dwight Howard's and the Andrew Bynums or Mark Gasol we need Greg Smith in there. Asik was getting schooled...

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not true Dwight Howard didn't mention Asik in his post game interview he talked about how well Smith played. Smith played like a beastly man in all areas of the game where Asik played timid against Howard. Don't try to talk as if Smith just was out there playing off other Rockets that played great because hardly anyone did. He had 21 points outside all the work he did on defense in the paint. Smith changed this game when he came in and MANED the paint I don't know what game you were watching dude get 1960's mindset out your head.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Knee Jerk thread......

Having said that I think this kid is going to be special!
    Apart from his "Country Ox strength" and his ability to
    finish after he is fouled the thing that impresses me the
    most is his demeanor! He's "Kool hand Luke" under pressure.

The self proclaimed Superman looked nervous and unsure
    down the stretch while "The Ox" displayed poise and
    confidence well beyond his 21yrs
    . If he develops a consistent
    mid-range shot more playing time is warranted and some
    tough decisions will have to be made.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

D'Mo will be our eventual stretch 4, have patience

20. BraveFox

BraveFox Member