1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Smith interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ric_flair, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

I just watched some of your highlights when you were in high school... Still throwing down the same dunks in the NBA.

Greg Smith: [Laughs] I'm trying, I'm trying.

There was a famous player wearing No. 4 with the Rockets – Charles Barkley. Why No. 4?

GS: Nothing special, it's just my favorite number. Wore 44 before, now I'm wearing No. 4. And if he wore that jersey, I have to try and do my best!

I'm told you're a big fan of comedy... I'm going with Will Ferrell and Dave Chappelle. How about you?

GS: Yeah, I like it a lot: stand-up comedy, movies... I like Chappelle, Martin Lawrence, Will Smith, Chris Tucker. Love those guys.

Your path to the NBA hasn't been easy. First you were not drafted by any NBA team, then there was the lockout. Did you have offers to play overseas back then before deciding to play in Mexico?

GS: Yeah, I did have some offers. One was from South Korea, another from Spain, but I was not really sure about going overseas with the lockout so I decided to stay closer and play in Mexico.

Yes, you began your professional career in Mexico with Soles de Mexicali before being acquired by the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in December 2011. How was that Mexican experience?

GS: At first, I really didn't like it. But later with the help of my teammates and the coaches it was a great experience and it helped me out a lot.

In which way did it help to play with the Valley Vipers?

GS: It was good, it helped me to improve my skills, my post moves, to get in better shape, to be ready to play in the NBA.

And then came the Rockets. How was that first conversation with GM Daryl Morey and coach Kevin McHale?

GS: It was a good conversation. They told me I had to work hard, come out and play with energy, rebound, play defense... That's what I'm trying to do. You put me out there and I'm going to do everything I can to help my team win the game.

You are a power forward. How do you feel about the center position?

GS: My natural position is power forward but sometimes I have played center. The league has great true centers like Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert... They can play and play good defense. You still need a true center to win games.

Getty ImagesWhat has been your favorite game so far? For example you had 21 points and 9 rebounds in a 107-105 win over the Lakers on December 4... Was that game a turning point in your career?

GS: Yeah it was. They are one of the best teams in the league so it was a big game for me. I tried to play good and showcase my skills, showing everybody that I can play with the best and help this team. After the game I felt that was the proof that I belong in this league.

You've been compared to some old-school players like Otis Thorpe. Which player did you admire growing up?

GS: Tim Duncan, Amare Stoudemire... Those were the guys I really watched. They have the skills, post moves, play defense, block shots... Those were the players I liked to watch when I was growing up.

Tim Duncan. Kobe Bryant. Those future Hall of Famers take care of their bodies and they are performing at such a high level at their age. Do you like to eat healthy?

GS: Of course. If you take care of your body, everything will be fine. That's why they don't suffer serious injuries and can still play at that level and that's something I want to do as well. I definitely try to eat healthy, the right food, I don't drink soda and try to drink a lot of water.

How's your relationship with Kevin McHale?

GS: It's a very good relationship. He talks to me a lot, he tells me about how to be a beast in the paint, he says, "Never allow anybody taking over the paint because the paint is yours." Basically be a beast. "Always take every game like it's your last." He's a Hall a Famer, he knows what to do on the court so it's great to have him on my side.

The performance of the Lakers this season is really surprising. What did you think about them when you played against them?

GS: I can't say what's happening there. They are very good team, but at the end it doesn't matter if you have talent because it's hard to play without chemistry.

James Harden. He's proven an All-Star and a true scorer. Do you think he could score like 80 points?

GS: He's a superstar, his basketball IQ is very high, he knows how to win, a wonderful teammate. It's good to have him on our team as a leader.

Royce White. What can you say about his situation?

GS: I don't know what to say about the Royce situation. I don't have an answer to that question because I don't really know what has happened between him, the team and the D-League.

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/interviews/bar...le-wants-me-to-be-a-beast#EoO3ki7p7MjezBhb.99

2. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Good interview, Smith seems like a good kid, and I like that he's a hard worker.

3. prs325

prs325 Member

Read it with super-fast speed...

4. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

haha I forgot to do that.

5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

He's a power forward?

6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

true position, yes. but we just throw him out there to play center

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On our team his offensive skill set makes him a center. Though like you said in an ideal situation for Greg Smith, he'd be a PF.

Even if we had another backup C I doubt Smith would play over DMo, Robinson, or Jones at PF. He doesn't have the floor spacing of DMo or Jones and he doesn't have the rebounding of Robinson. But his ability to pick-and-roll and finish near the basket make him a good offensive C for us for stretches at a time.

8. Grigori

Grigori Member

Not on the Rockets he ain't...can't shoot 3s.

1 person likes this.
  9. Crank

Crank Member

We like his play so far. We think he is a affordable asset going forward. Hof potential.

10. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Just wondering. Every instance I remember of him trying a low post move he gets stripped, blocked, or misses it badly. Doesn't seem ready to play PF, tbh. Plus his defense is atrocious.

11. gah

gah Member

Just like with Jordan Hill, the Center position has been too much for him to handle, regardless of where he ends up I hope he makes strides because he hit the wall a long time ago.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If he wants to continue getting minutes he has to continue working on being a center.

It's in both his and the organization's best interest if he does. The organization does not have a use for a Greg Smith at PF, nor would Greg Smith want to compete with the plethora of PFs the Rockets already have.

13. alethios

alethios Member

Neither do we, brother, neither do we.

14. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

This Dime interview is quite good....

On Chandler Parsons:
    On James Harden:
    On Coach McHale:
    On Omer Asik:
    On Jeremy Lin:
    And a bunch of other good stuff too....

15. jae713

jae713 Member

Not a big fan of Smith. I don't think he will ever play a big role on this team. His bball IQ is poor at best.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Man, he's an amazing finisher. He's not a scrub like some posters are painting him as.

17. GIGO

GIGO Member

Good to see Greg smile again.

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/iEazkwCwmKPM/embed/select/gv5aH_fsW7KA?autoPlay=false&params=zone%3Drockets" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good to see him performing well.

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Ha, just laughed a bit at the healthy food part because I met Greg Smith in a raisin canes :p. Very nice dude, awesome meeting him.