1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Oden's pro debut

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by topfive, Jul 6, 2007.

1. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

stoudemire dominated from his rookier season? you must be smoking!!! He never dominates in the nba.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You guys are silly. Lebron James sucked in his first summer league and everybody was talking about how it was evidence he wasn't ready for the NBA yet and he wasn't going to make an immediate impact. Remember what happened?

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yea but 10 fouls in 23 mins???

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yao and amare had the same numbers. he didnt start dominating until nash got to phx. if he wouldve gotten traded to atlanta, he wouldve gotten exposed. a majority of his points come off of dunks provided by steve nash.

5. Major

Major Member

Amare averaged 20/9 in his second year - without Nash.

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

He was 3 of 4 from the field.

7. SmitingPurpleEm

That was done on 47% shooting and 37 MPG i.e. He took a lot of minutes and was inefficient in getting those stats. Yao was far more efficient his second year. It was only when Nash came that Amare started shooting 55%+ from the field. You can see it in his PER, it takes a jump after his first two years.

8. abundance

abundance Member

9. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

It didnt even look like Oden was taking seriously.......He goaltended a 15-foot jump shot. It was hilarious!

10. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

He was getting doubled quickly, which was strange for SL. He made some good passes to cutters. I liked what I saw.

11. Major

Major Member

Strange how a guy straight out of high school would improve dramatically each of his first few years in the league, no?

Of course Nash makes him better - he makes everyone better. But to act like he's simply a product of Nash and would be "exposed" if he didn't have him is just silly. He was averaging 20/9 his 2nd year out of high school without Nash.

12. abundance

abundance Member

Yeah, he wasn't in the mood to play seriously. He's got a cold/sinus infection and needs to have his tonsils removed.

13. SmitingPurpleEm

If he had no Nash, it is quite probable that he would have had Shareef Abdur-Rahim/Juwan Howard type numbers: averaging 20-10, but doing so inefficiently (i.e. on a low FG%) and in a lot of minutes, and doing it on a team that doesn't win. His first year they somehow only squeaked to the 8th seed despite having Marion and Stephon, and his second year they finished way out of the playoffs. Nash has elevated his game greatly. His efficiency is the best aspect of his game now, and that would be nowhere to be found without Nash.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I saw the game. He looked terrible on offense. He had a couple of dunks, multiple offensive fouls and was pretty pathetic. Hardly any skill level at all was displayed, which isn't a surprise. IMO, it wasn't just a matter of rust. But it was his first game against bigger players. Still, the idea he wasn't used properly at Ohio State, is more suited to the pro game, etc will be tested and proven true or false. Oden's athleticism is ridiculous but it will only get him so far in the NBA unless he develops some skills besides blocking shots and slam dunking. He admitted after the game, "I didn't play too well. I didn't play hard enough, and when you don't play hard you don't win". Unskilled players usually aren't successful unless they play hard.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Accidently hit submit instead of preview.

After the game 1 egg, I expect Oden to come out with fire the rest of their SL games and show a lot more.

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That's my point, out of his 4 total shots "a couple" were dunks. So he was one of two outside of dunks. Yet, in those two shots you've made an assessment that "his jump hook looked awful as usual". Did you make this assessment off of his one miss? I'm not saying this guy is Tim Duncan on the post but good god he was only 3 of 4 in his first action as a pro. The guy is going to be a stud. Lighten up.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I know it's just his first game but I'm not going to lighten up. The form on his jump hook looked really bad/unpolished and it seems to be his only "go to" move. No doubt the next couple of games he will show more energy and concentration. I want him to do well because Oden is a nice guy and I somewhat like the Blazers.

Lighten up? Ain't no way. One meaningless bad game doesn't prove he's a bust any more than finishing up the SL strongly will prove the Blazers right. One thing in Oden's favor is Aldridge's potential dominance on both ends will take a lot of pressure off and allow him to breathe. It's going to take a while.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah come on Oden, this is the start of your career here. Get more serious and focused...

[​IMG]

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Like who? Oden isn't at an disadvantage against anyone size wise, and he is certainly more atheltic than just about everyone.

20. Showtizzle2642

haha nice... i forgot about that