1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green and Whitmore off the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jan 17, 2024.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Idk if going to the bench will suddenly improve that, those are things he has to improve upon in the offseason. He needs to learn how to make open, stand still jumpers. I think all he worked on were those tough, one on one shots which are always a low percentage endeavor.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure scoring in the NBA in theory is the easiest feat when compared to some comparable feats from other sports.

I think I'd rank them from easiest to hardest

1. Scoring on a shot in basketball

2. Getting a TD in football

3. Getting a hit in baseball

4. Scoring a goal in hockey.

invocux likes this.
  3. WestendMassive

Where do you rank kicking a goal in Australian football?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No clue, I don't even know the rules. It always just looked like random **** happening the few times I've briefly watched.

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Checking back in to say that I just watched the whole video of the Spurs game, focusing on Jalen off the ball. He was much, much better than in previous games I've seen. From the way he played in this game, it's clear that he has the physical talent to be a good defender, it's just a matter of whether he cares about it, takes pride in it, gives his all to it. It was a beautiful thing to see.

I'd like to believe that the plays he made defensively (even the stuff nobody probably noticed, like when he helped enough to prevent a drive or pass from even being attempted) are part of what got him juiced up to be even more aggressive offensively. When you're engaged, when you're proud of what you just accomplished on the last possession, it gets you fired up. I hope he's feeling the joy and energy that comes from that.

studogg, plegus and cml750 like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Continuing my nerd program of replaying games and watching Jalen off the ball. I'm still a couple behind, but here's what I see during the hot streak. Again, I'm NOT focusing on his shooting and driving, which have been excellent lately.

1. On offense, more movement, sometimes more cutting. Possibly an effect of his improved shooting. He might just be feeling better about himself and more engaged in the game. Alternative theory: He feels freer to move when Sengun isn't in there. I hope it's more the former.

2. On defense, more effort to help. Less standing passively in the corner. Playing a little farther off his man, still with an eye to occupying the passing lane, but now trying to help deter plays inside. He's still inept at intervening, but the occasional deterrent effect is somewhat helpful.

3. He still doesn't have much clue about boxing out. He's just so drawn to the ball. And then sometimes I see him try and fail. He gets pushed around under the basket like he's not there. Doesn't even have a good sense of rebounding position with respect to the opponent.

4. His major persistent problem defensively is the way he moves. Basically, he floats. On offense, this is a big advantage. With the ball, in a few strides, he blows past people. Without the ball, he can take 4 or 5 steps from half court on a break, sky and catch and jam it. But defensively, the floating inhibits adjustment and change of direction. So many times I see him trying to use his arms and hands to compensate for failing to use his feet and chest.

I wonder if he could learn better defensive footwork from Fred or Amen. Is it possible for a guy who naturally floats, and whose offensive game depends so much on that, to use his feet differently on defense, taking smaller steps and staying on the ground? And if the answer is no, do we just pray that he continues to deliver enough offensively (a la Harden) to make up for being a weak defender?

I'd really like to believe that this guy's athletic talents can be harnessed to make him less of a liability at the defensive end. Ime, work your magic.

heypartner likes this.