1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green and Whitmore off the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

When I watch these 2 guys during the 90%-plus portion of the game when they *don't* have the ball, I'm astonished at the difference. Green is soft, inattentive, and indifferent at both ends. It's as though he's not interested in doing anything if he doesn't have the ball. His defense, if I can call it that, is execrable. Doesn't help, doesn't box out, does as little as he can get away with. Barely contests, certainly well below what his body would let him do if he were to use it. Also slow in the offense, doesn't react, doesn't innovate, doesn't create any opportunities for the ball handler, other than spotting up.

Whitmore makes mistakes, but they're usually mistakes from trying. He wants to contribute. He's alert, he reacts, he helps, he's aggressive to the boards. His defensive footwork is quick and agile. Green's is — I can't believe I'm saying this — worse than mine. Just fundamentally awful. He floats around the court as though it doesn't matter how fast he could shift his balance when needed. His man goes to the basket, and Jalen trails him uselessly.

Again and again, Whitmore looks like he wants to be there, wants to win, wants to make things happen. Green looks like he doesn't care, or he doesn't believe anything he might do without the ball would matter.

I'd like to hear what others think. Mostly what I'd like is for others to watch these guys during the part of the game when you wouldn't normally watch them, and tell me what you see. Because right now I would absolutely bench Green and play Whitmore.

jcmoon, FLASH21, bcast89 and 45 others like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Cam Whitmore is much MUCH more physical. He has a more fundamentally sound outside shot and should be a better rebounder and defender. I still like Jalen and I still believe in him, but Cam is gaining on him rapidly. Jalen better improve or he might lose that starting job.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Why we need to trade Jalen asap. I agree that Cam is learning and trying - he will get better. Just imagine how this team would look with a REAL SG.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Frankly, I will be surprised if Jalen Green is here next season. If fans "see things" what do you think coaches. are seeing.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

OMG YES….I get pushed back on for daring to criticize Green’s off-ball defense….but THERE IS NO OFF-BALL DEFENSE with Green.

I’m not saying Whitmore is the certain answer…but your thoughts about seeing him at least look like he’s caring over limited minutes where I have more than ample/enough minutes of watching Jalen looking like he doesn’t care much at all resonate with me.

Just seems insanely clear to me…and I’m not Ime Udoka, so imagine what we’re talking about looks like to him! Sometimes addition by subtraction works. I suppose we’ll see soon enough.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have given up on Jalen. It has taken me 2 1/2 years, but it will be best for everyone to move him.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think he ends up a viable NBA starter down the road. Whitmore and Amen need those minutes though

Kevooooo and roslolian like this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

What's the over/under on how many Trade Jalen threads we get by seasons end?

Asking for a friend. :cool:

Bo6, roslolian, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Still got time for more before the deadline!

And then....

Trade Jalen during the off-season threads begin!

Exiting times tbh.

11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

It's most likely because Whitmore actually likes playing basketball, Jalen likes everything that is associated with being a high draft pick.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Comparing per 36 and Advanced Stats.

Obviously still relatively small sample size, but Whitmore just flat out seems better than Green (except that he doesn't pass AT ALL lol and weirdly hasn't been good at the line).

Whitmore "is a bucket", Jalen "is a brick".

It's almost impossible to deny at this point that Jalen has a negative effect on the team's chances at winning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If Cam were to replace Green at the starting spot, we would be better, even tho Cam is only 19.

Cam's motor is just way higher than Green and a much better off-ball player because he's actually good at reading lanes and getting steals.

From day 1, Green stunk of a guy who relied on his athleticism his entire basketball life and didn't learn the fundamentals especially on defense.

14. MystikArkitect

Ime pulled all relevant starters at the end of the Philly game.

Jalen stayed out there. Ime is a guy that speaks with his actions not his words.

burlesk, JeffB and Corrosion like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. vince

vince Member

Sad that the Rocket went through a miserable season, and he has been mightily disappointing overall. When he had the freedom to shoot as much as he wanted he could get into a rhythm. But at the same time the Rockets were tank commanders!

It’s very refreshing that the Rockets were able to nab Sengun in that draft. But from a very promising draft class, only one guy looks like star material, another looks like a bench guy, and the rest of the haul that draft are gone.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s been found that coaches don’t use the same lens as fans …

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When is the last time you saw Jalen get a lob thrown his way in the half court?

When is the last time Cam had a lob thrown his way in the half court?....

It's pretty simple .... Cam is already the better player.

I think the only reason Green is still in the starting lineup is to preserve what, if any trade value he has left.

I thought about making a new Jalen thread .... "What's his next contract" with the following choices in a poll -

Max extension
    Cap space above 15%
    NT-MLE
    T-MLE
    Room exception
    BAE
    Vet minimum
    China.

But I ultimately decided we have more than enough Jalen threads as it is and only one chode is still telling us how great Jalen is.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying this since his rookie year. If we're building around Green, then we're screwed. I am not a fan of wings with short wingspans unless they can just flat out shoot the ball at insane clip. His work ethic and basketball IQ is extremely over rated. Trade him for much needed depth in the front court. Those minutes and reps are being wasted at this point.

20. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

Wrong thread

#20 persian hoopa, Jan 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    daywalker02 and Jontro like this.