1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest shot in Rockets history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 6, 2010.

?

Greatest Shot in Rockets history?

1. Sampson (Game 5 WCF, 1986)

114 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Maxwell (Game 7 Finals, 1994)

55 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Olajuwon (Game 5 WCSF, 1995)

29 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Smith (Game 1 Finals, 1995)

26 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Other

61 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

GREATEST: Ralph Sampsons

My personal favorite was Eddie Johnsons 3

2. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

The Kiss of Death was such a polarizing moment in Rockets history

3. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

I love this thread but the Kiss of Death was the greatest shot I have ever seen. It still gives me goose bumps when I see it. The Kenny Smith shots against Orlando was amazing also but the Kiss of Death was just amazing.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I just can't enjoy that shot without recalling that Stockton totally one-upped it in game 6.

5. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Elie's a special one but not the greatest shot in Rockets history. The shot itself was nothing special, it was just to cap off the 3-1 comeback and the ultimate payback to Ainge for his throw a year earlier; he had to pay for it twice. In fact 5 times if you count the elbows Maxwell threw in game 6 (missed) and game 7 and Cassell going after him. If Maxwell had still been there it would've been more epic because he was the one defending Elie along with Cassell. I can picture Maxwell getting in Ainge and Barkley's face after the kiss of death and taunt the whole freaking bench and start something to get thrown out of the game; walks off happy fists in the air after chest bumping and hugging Elie and handfiving with Cassell.

6. aristophanes34

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i couldnt recall the dream shot until i saw the ending where Person shoots....now i remember and that attempt by Person scared the crap out of me, open look for a 3 point shooter....chills.. :grin:

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek:

what's wrong with you durvasa?

[​IMG]

don't forget Cassell game 3 vs the Knicks

And you should call this thread "Greatest PLAYOFF shot in Rockets History"

9. tinman

Supporting Member

poor Sam gets no loves from the Rockets fan (Even though history proves he would have been one of best PGs in Rockets history if he had stayed his whole career)
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBJ8MfQKmQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBJ8MfQKmQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I did mention Maxwell's game 7 shot in the poll. But I rushed that poll up there ... there were a number of shots I should have mentioned that were skipped over.

The main thing I just wanted to point out is how underappreciate/underrated that Olajuwon shot was, historically. I rarely hear people mention it, but its very unlikely that the Rockets win the second championship without it. There were a lot of great shots in that playoff season, but that one in particularly was the greatest clutch shot of them all in my opinion.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I voted for Sampson, even though Maxwell's shot sealed the first championship.

We beat the Lakers in LA, no Dream in the 4th quarter. Plus if you watch that game on NBATV reruns, it's freaking epic.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

LOL,
    I meant the KOD absent in the list, I put the Maxwell pic for the look of amazement that you forgot it.

what about the Robert Horry shots?

what was omitted by NBA history and newbies forgot was all the freaking Clutch shots Horry had in 95. the Spurs, The Magic?

Somehow he only became 'big shot' when he joined the Lakers.
    wrong

13. AkeemTheDreem86

That last and-1 by Lowry.

14. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

My two co-votes would have to be Elie's Kiss of Death and Eddie's 3 Game 4 of the WCF. Elie's would be the logical of the two, but I was at the Summit when Eddie hit that 3. "Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!"

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

And this is a stone-cold-fact right here, no way the Johnson shot brings anything but pain to my memory. And too bad because for a few days it was a great feeling!

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I cant put any stock into that shot due to the bear hug of Drexler by Malone.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

My personal favorite was that Hakeem tip in OT in the game 1 of the 1995 NBA Finals.
    I love the EJ 3 pointer, but we lost that series so, its not the most important.
    the Kiss of Death was amazing!
    the final shot in the 13 and 35 was great too.
    the Sampson shot was great too.

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Don't contradict yourself please.

That title will always belong to Calvin Murphy.

Ask for the poll, beso de muerte gets my vote.

19. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

Eddie Johnson half-court buzzer beater 3-pointer to beat the Utah Jazz in the playoffs

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

durvasa, I thought you believed last second shots were more important than earlier shots. :p