1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest Pink Floyd Songs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Nov 23, 2005.

Tags:
?

Which one?

1. Comfortanly Numb

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Another Brick in the Wall

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Wish You Were Here

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Shine on You Crazy Diamond

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Pigs (Three Different Ones)

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. One of These Days

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Money

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. The Final Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Hey You

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

For the Floyd fans, what do you guys think would be considered the greatest Floyd song of all time? I would have to go with Comfortably Numb, let me know the opinions!

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

I don't think you can really do them justice by listing only 10 of their songs.

My favorites:

Us & Them (my favorite)
    Have a Cigar
    Breathe

3. cwebbster

I agree, the poll total needs to be increased....

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Definitely.

I think thats why PF is so great. So many great songs and every PF fan has a different favorite.

I don't think you'll find a concensus favorite (but I think ABINTW would come the closest)

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I agree with codell, this is something where you can't limit it to a certain number of songs.

You don't even have my all-time favorite song in "Dogs". I like "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" (and "Animals" is not only my all-time favorite album by them but probably my all-time favorite album by ANYONE) but "Dogs" is generally regarded by many Floyd fans to be the best song off that album.

And how in the world could you NOT have "Echoes" off the Meddle album on there? :p

Relax, as I was saying, what you are trying to do is a hard thing to do.

Here is my list of favorite Floyd songs (in no particular order with the only exception being that "Dogs" is #1):

"Careful With That Axe, Eugene"
    "Fearless"
    "One of These Days"
    "Echoes"
    "Time"
    "The Great Gig in the Sky"
    "Us and Them"
    "Have a Cigar"
    "Welcome to the Machine"
    "Wish You Were Here"
    "Dogs"
    "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"
    "Sheep"
    "Young Lust"
    "Mother"
    "Hey You"
    "Don't Leave Me Now"
    "Is There Anybody Out There"
    "Comfortably Numb"
    "When the Tigers Broke Free"
    "The Fletcher Memorial Home"
    "Not Now John"
    "Learning to Fly"
    "On the Turning Away"
    "Sorrow"
    "High Hopes"
    "What Do You Want From Me"

6. cwebbster

I have been listening to Final Cut alot lately, that album is a great continuation to the Wall, thats when Rich Wright went AWOL, and when Roger's ego was kicking in, but a great album all in all!

7. cwebbster

I love it, good picks man, I should have put Welcome to the Machine on there....

8. Manny Ramirez

Wright didn't go AWOL; he was fired by Roger during "The Wall" sessions and then was later brought back by Roger as a session musician. :eek: :eek:

Wright was still not a full band member during the "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" album but was asked by Dave Gilmour to re-join the band on the ensuing tour.

9. cwebbster

Manny,

Do you think a world wide tour is in the making? I mean, I would sell my soul to satan to go, but have you heard anything? I saw Roger Waters a few years ago, and it was amazing, but the whole band together would be a blessing by God!

10. Manny Ramirez

Not going to happen I'm afraid. I saw the classic lineup (Waters, Gilmour, Wright, and Mason) perform together for the first time in over 25 years at the Live 8 show and I can honestly say that it was the best musical performance I have ever seen on TV. Despite being in their 60s, all of the members sounded great (well except for Roger's singing as his voice is about gone, heh) and they played their instruments very well, especially Gilmour. It was very funny but surreal at the same time to see this gruff and grumpy old man with a bald head (or what looked to be a bald head), potbelly, in a black teeshirt and jeans just absolutely rip a guitar up. He sounded that night exactly like he does on the albums - incredible and his singing voice wasn't half bad either. But afterwards I was reading that he (Gilmour) was offered like $250 million to take the classic lineup on tour. Apparently, Roger was all for it but Dave turned it down, saying he already had enough money. :eek: :eek: Both he and Roger patched up their differences for the concert because they both believed (along with Wright and Mason) in the causes of what the Live 8 concert was for (plus I think Bob Geldof is a miracle worker and playing "Pink" in The Wall movie probably didn't hurt his chances with them). But it just doesn't look promising that they will ever tour again. Yet we can always dream about it. As someone who owns all 14 studio albums, the Relics compilation, the Echoes compilation, 6 solo albums by Gilmour, Waters, and Wright, has posted 2 Amazon.com reviews of various albums (The Final Cut and Animals), has done a "You Wanna Get Into Pink Floyd: guide also on Amazon, and finally is a member of a Pink Floyd BBS - not seeing them live in concert, with or without Roger, is one of my biggest regrets in life. I just became a fan of them too late, I guess. :(

11. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Waiting for the worms (marching hammers are awesome)
    In the flesh
    Keep talking
    hey you
    Two suns in the sunset (nuclear war)

#11 russian88, Nov 23, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  12. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict"

"Arnold Layne"

"Bike"

All the others are great too.

13. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wish "Us & Them" or "Sheep" were choices, but I went with Pigs.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

"Us and Them" probably my favorite song of theirs, a close second would be "Wish You Were Here"

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, you're a huge fan, Manny. I would have really enjoyed going to one of their concerts with you, even though we're far different in a lot of ways. Music transcends everything. I've always believed that. Have twenty thousand people at a Floyd concert, with all their differences, and some of them may be fighting, arguing or even killing each other the next day, but for that one evening they literally share a love for the music. It's beautiful. And I would say the same thing about several groups and singer/songwriters. Music is just beautiful.

16. cwebbster

Dude awesome, I have every single one of those albums as well, actually sitting right here next to me at the computer. Yeah, I saw the LIVE 8 tour as well, just hoping that maybe, just maybe, they could come to H-town for a concert....

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Wow, that's so hard to pick. I don't think I can pick a favorite song by them. Since there was only one poll option, however, I went with Another Brick In the Wall (pt. 2) as it was the song by them I've listened to the most on iTunes. Half of those poll options could easily be my favorite, though. I just... don't... know. The same goes with Led Zep, Beatles, and such - just too hard to pick a favorite since there are so many good ones.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

"Learning to Fly"

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Out of the choices offered, I selected "Comfortably Numb". But I also really dig "Time".

20. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

just....can't.....do....it....its wierd, everything i find a song i love, i listen to another one and it speaks to me even more...i'll go with comfortably numb for now, though another day it could be "wish you were here" or part 2, etc...this is not a fair poll..