1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest All Time Rocket (according to my wife)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BowlingBaller, May 8, 2013.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Did you intentionally hide Parsons from your wife?

2. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

She's aware of Parsons. She actually mentioned once that she would like some alone time just the two of them (I didn't ask why, but I'm pretty sure she just wants to get his autograph as a surprise for me).

Her issue with him is that while has the ball, 85% of the time she proudly uses her b-ball IQ to point out, "Isn't that travelling!? How does he get away with it so much?" I've never had an answer for that though.

3. SK34

SK34 Member

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Then you're blind, and you definitely don't know wtf you're talking about. Opinions are one thing, but you can't even see how wrong you are.

Dream played through a different era dominated by centers starting wayy back with Kareem in his prime. While Tmac was physically gifted, the Houston years also exposed him for relying on a midrange shot because of his back problems and a host of other physical injuries and mental deficiencies I don't care to mention. And still he's the greatest Rockets athlete?

First off, centers were typically 7 feet, and not these combo PF tweeners that can do in a pinch. Ever heard of Robinson, Mutombo, Smits, Eaton, Shaq, Ewing? Some listed are the greatest players in the world that ever played. Others were just tall stiffs registered to neutralize the other center and soften them up. Night in and night out, Dream was the 6'10 mismatch who registered taller on the sheets, but had other teams double and sometimes triple team on him. To assume that he didn't have the most athleticism against some of those stiffs who were allowed to play physical and rough inside the paint makes me think you've watched jack **** since you were 8. Nike commercials/ESPN highlights much?

Watching playoff tapes of what Hakeem did is not enough. The man is one of a few players that you can count on your hand to register a quad double. Do you understand typical stars these days don't compete on both ends, because they want to conserve their energy and focus?

When he re-found his religion, he played through Ramadan and did the customary practice of not eating or drinking from dawn to sunset. Have you ever played a 48 minute game or even worked out without drinking a cup of water let alone a drop? And despite that his numbers picked up during that crazy month.

The man competed, he delivered, and he made sure he did everything he could to win. Something TMac never really knew what that meant, and something not taught by watching a few tapes based purely on athleticism and highlight reel dunks.

Just quit posting on the topic if you can't take the insults. It's not homerism or even opinion. TMac did a lot of things good and bad, but your shaky reasoning for even posting is exposing more about you than whatever you think about Rockets fans with "sore feelings".

The only thing sore here is you reading these posts and exposing how much you don't know.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

6. jocar

jocar Member

Strap her to chair and play these videos :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nB3iIviCIMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uBrEsNS9zKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

well at least she didn't go with Jeremy Lin ;)

8. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Are we seriously having this discussion? Really?

9. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

That's what I was expecting when reading. :cool:

10. tinman

Supporting Member

She must really not have basketball knowledge if Greatest Rocket is mentioned with Lin,

Olajuwon is and always will be the standard on which a Rocket superstar must measure up to.

MVP, DPOY, Hall of Famer, NBA champion

11. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Posts like those give newer members (like me) such a bad name. They're obviously trolling, but its so unnecessary. There's only 1 greatest rocket of all time and his name is Akeem (always liked it without the H)

12. alethios

alethios Member

Stay humble...stay hungry

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So have mockster and dandorotik gone on a date at a bar yet?

And again, the greatest Rocket of all time was Scott Padgett. If ballhogs Yao/Steve/Cuttino/T-Mac would have passed him the ball more when he was in Houston, he would have put up better numbers. Also, the offense was stupid and predictable and relied too much on hero-ball. If they would have played team ball, Padgett would have been the white Steve Novak.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'm afraid. I am a complete pacifist and would not be able to defend myself against Mock's pummeling blows. He scare me long time.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I only expect a powerful response when any fake fan insults Clutch City and especially the foundation of Clutch City.

Dandorotik noticed that mockster underestimated the heart of the champion and therefore went to destroy the non believer.

Because Clutch City rules and is all powerful, those who have Clutch City in their hearts are more devote and pure than those who have for example, Linsanity or McGrady in Orlando in their hearts.

16. dandorotik

I agree. On top of that, even if I were a casual fan, I would immediately say that his statement was dumb. Some people are just starting to realize how good a player, and athlete, Hakeem really was. It started with Kobe, then LeBron, then Dwight, then Carmelo Anthony, as well as multiple others. They are all going to Hakeem for one reason- moves. It's that simple. These are among the greatest athletes in basketball, and yet they are all going to Hakeem for help. So, it elevates Olajuwon even more in the pantheon of all-time greats.

What I didn't tell this other poster is that Tracy McGrady is one of my all-time favorite players. No lie. I followed the T-Mac era in Houston religiously. And I do agree with him on several points- namely, that injuries and unfortunate circumstances affected T-Mac's rise to greatness. But I can't argue any of that when someone makes a statement such as "T-Mac was better than Hakeem..." and "T-Mac was way better than Clyde or Hakeem." Hakeem was the LEADER of a team that knocked off one of the all-time great teams, the 80s Lakers, in reaching the Finals in 1986.

Clyde Drexler was the acknowledged LEADER of a team that reached the Finals TWICE, in 1990 and 1992- and that lost to all-time great Pistons and Bulls teams, respectively. They both made the Final Four TWICE, and they both won an NBA Championship. Not to mention Clyde was certainly one of the most athletic 2-guards to ever play the game. I would venture to say that Drexler, in his prime, tops McGrady, in his prime- but not a big gap.

As a knowledgeable basketball fan, it would be difficult to put McGrady above Drexler. It is ludicrous to put him above Olajuwon.

The all-time great Rockets- that includes anyone who's worn a Rockets for more than one season (this allows me to thankfully eliminate Pippen) would be something like (and I don't mean all-time great for their specific contributions to the Rockets- this list would have to have Vernon Maxwell, IMHO):

1. Hakeem Olajuwon
    2. Moses Malone
    3. Charles Barkley
    4. Clyde Drexler
    5. Elvin Hayes
    6. Rick Barry
    7. Tracy McGrady
    8. Rudy Tomjanovich
    9. Yao Ming
    10. Calvin Murphy

Definitely arguable- just my personal opinion. But if you ask me who was better, Rick Barry or T-Mac, based on total history, sorry, I'm going with Barry.

17. dandorotik

Not to digress, but Rick Barry was pretty amazing:

Golden State Warriors

Barry then returned to the NBA, with the Golden State Warriors. As the cumulative effects of knee problems began to take their toll, he gradually moved his game away from the basket. Two seasons later (1974–75) the Warriors captured the division crown and Barry averaged 30.6 points per game, led the league in free throw percentage (.904) and steals per game (2.9) and ranked sixth in assists per game (6.2). The Warriors executed a four-game sweep of Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld and the Washington Bullets in the NBA Finals. The Bullets had posted a league-high 60 victories, 12 more than the Warriors total in the regular season. Barry was named NBA Finals Most Valuable Player.

The next season, the Warriors drafted Gus Williams to play point guard and began to utilize the talents of Phil Smith more at shooting guard. Barry's scoring average dipped to 21.8 ppg, but the Warriors finished with the NBA's best record at 59-23 and were heavy favorites to return to the NBA Finals. However, the Warriors were upset in the Western Conference finals by the Phoenix Suns. The Warriors won 49 games the next season (1976–77) with Barry, Smith, and Williams sharing scoring and ball-handling, but were ousted in the second round by the Los Angeles Lakers. Reportedly, Barry and Williams clashed over ball-handling,[11] and Williams was traded after the season to the Seattle SuperSonics. Barry played one more season with the Warriors before leaving as a free agent for the Houston Rockets.

Houston Rockets

Barry closed his career with the Houston Rockets, playing through the 1979-80 NBA season. Barry was signed by the Rockets as a free agent before the 1978-79 season. The league awarded John Lucas to the Warriors as compensation. Now in the twilight of his career, he pioneered the "point forward" position as a ball distributor (passing for a career-high 502 assists) and three-point threat. Until the arrival of Larry Bird, Barry, John Havlicek, and Billy Cunningham were the only players in NBA history to pass for more than 500 assists while primarily playing the forward position. He averaged 13.5 points and set a new NBA record (since broken) with a .947 free throw percentage for the season. He retired in 1980.

18. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

:eek:

Really? Dont let your hate for McGrady disrespect the greatness of his game. Its like saying Isiah Rider was a safer choice than Kobe, just because Kobe-the person-suck.

Of course Tracy isnt the greatest Rocket ever, thats laughable, I have Steve Francis above him.

19. dandorotik

The next season Houston won the Midwest Division title with a 51–31 record. One game against the Phoenix Suns epitomized the effectiveness and promise of the Twin Towers in which Ralph Sampson bringing the ball upcourt passed an alley-oop to an eager Hakeem Olajuwon far above the reach of their opponents. In the playoffs, the Rockets breezed past the Sacramento Kings in a 3–0 first round sweep, but struggled with Alex English's Denver Nuggets, including one game going to double overtime, which had the positive effect of getting the Rockets to play together as a cohesive team with great chemistry, and eventually pulled away with the victory over the Nuggets 4–2. When faced with defending champion Lakers in the Conference Finals, the Rockets were ready to knock off their rivals who had the best of them during the season. However, the Rockets lost game 1, Olajuwon's spinning reverse dunks and Sampson's alley-oops notwithstanding, but the Rockets came back with 4 straight wins against the star-studded defending champions in an impressive four games to one series victory, a feat that no other Western Conference team had come close to doing against the Showtime Lakers. In Game 5 of that series in Los Angeles, Robert Reid hit a crucial 3 pointer to tie the game with less than 30 seconds left. Perennial back-up guard Allen Leavell pulled down a defensive rebound and wisely called time out with only fractions of a second left, allowing the Rockets to inbounds the ball at half-court. Pat Riley did not have anybody guard the inbounds pass which allowed Rodney McCray a clean pass to Sampson who provided one of the most memorable moments in NBA Playoff history- with the score tied at 112 apiece, Olajuwon having been ejected due to a fight with Mitch Kupchak, and only 1 second remaining on the clock, Sampson launched a miraculous, twisting turnaround jumper that bounced straight up off the rim before sailing through the hoop at the buzzer, giving the Rockets a 114–112 victory and a shocking but strong series upset, 4 games to 1, with the 4 being four straight wins against the defending champions. Replays show in the corner of the screen a disbelieving Michael Cooper comically collapsing to the floor under the basket.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

The passion that Rockets fans have for the Dream > the passion the Rockets have had for any other player.

Reasons:

1. he played 17 years for the Rockets, plus he played for the Houston Cougars
    2. the sports fans who were in Houston were starving for glory and Dream gave them their glory, their glory is a championship, not a scoring title or a brief winning streak
    3. Clutch City Rockets was the most amazing playoff run of all time, full of amazing 7 game series, emergence of heroes like Mario Elie, Sam Cassell, and the first 2 championships of the hero known as Robert Horry
    4. There won't be in the foreseeable future of the Houston Rockets who can accomplish all of the following, MVP, Finals MVP, DPOY, 2 championships, Hall of Fame, Statue of his jersey, best nickname of all time
    5. This site was created based on Dream's accomplishment