1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greater threat to free press

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bandwagoner, Dec 8, 2016.

?

Largest threat to free press

1. Collusion with government (wikileaks, conspiring against Bernie)

2. Stricter libel laws similar to the UK.

3. Crackdown on so called Fake News

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's part of the problem, and it shows a lack in ability to apply critical thinking.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What you have is a bunch of rural consevstives who have this fairy tail narrative spinning in their head that is in conflict with the news that long standing news institutions like NYT and WaPo telling them but instead of absorbing new information they reject new information because they are proud people who don't want their preconceived paradigm shot down.

That's how Donald Trump won.

Also Donald Trump supporters don't understand basic statistics/probabilities. They think Donald Trump having a 30 percent chance of winning the election is the same as Donald having 30 percent of the vote. Hence they say foolish things like "Lol MSM polls gave them a zero percent shot at winning. They only have him 30 percent of the vote lol".

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They think this because of the garbage right-wingers and fake news. The press isn't in the bag. The left doesn't like the press and thinks it is way too conservative as it tends to bend too much to right-wing complaints. You forget that the NY Times broke the Clinton email story and is considered anti-Clinton by most.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

"LOL" which decade are you referring to again? Liberals love their proof. "Russia" gave it to you ... and you're still denying it.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Trump won because Hillary was a terrible dishonest unethical candidate with no serious policies in place. If she spent more time trying to prove to America that she actually gave a **** about the average working man, she would have easily won. Instead she was busy convincing the media and the left that Trump was a racist, misogynist xenophobe and colluding with the media to propagate this.

Trump campaigned on the economy and terrorism.

If the election was held again, I am very confident Trump would completely destroy her.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about - stop wasting our time and quit posting your unintelligible dribble. Go suck Trump's small hands lol.

7. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Taking a look at the long term trend of this poll, I'd say this proves that the war on the media is working.

Looking closer, the sharp downturns in public opinion came in the aftermath of the Iraq war, when the media wasn't being biased exactly, they we're wrong. Then you can account for the drop from 05-07 to the proliferation of Fox News and the Internet gaining more of a foothold in mass media and using those platforms to smear the MSM. The 8 point drop in the last year is probably a culmination of the Balkinization that the Internet allows (from '01 to '13 the % of people w/ the Internet as their main news source went from 13 to 50 - I'm sure that % is higher now), anger at the inability to hold Trump accountable for his lies and mistruths, and our president-elect tweeting disparaging and false things about the media.

Also in the last year; polls haven't shown that they are exactly 100% in tune with what Americans actually think.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Did conservative media have some growth during those times? Rush and Fox news were quite popular before then, perhaps more so. MSNBC went pure liberal during the early 2000's if you want to base it on some polarization of the media.

Polls in the presidential election were all within the margin of error. I guess this is your attempt to just discredit the data I provided? Who is doing a war on science now guys?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Reality is that right-wing media depends on people lacking critical thinking skills. We see it in people like Space Ghost and Bobby and many other here. Our education system has failed them.

Oh they will go on about liberal elitists and all that. but hey, why is it that fake news only works on Trump supporters?

Space Ghost likes this.
  10. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Very happy to enlighten you on the numbers.

Fox news has been the number 1 rated cable news network for 13 years running. Here's a little arithmetic; 2016 -13=2003. It's dominate in the 25-54 (people who vote) demographic; nobody disputes that.

Conservative media has grown & it has more arms now. Rush still runs neck and neck with NPR's All Things Considered, while sharing and splitting listeners over the years w/ Sean Hannity (syndication, Sept. 10, 2001 - how about that?), Hannity and Limbaugh's pal Mark Levin, (syndication, 2006), and Glenn Beck (syndication, 2002). I'd go on, but there's more to be found that I encourage you to look up yourself-if you're truly interested; like Mike Savage's success during the 2000s and Hugh Hewitt's emergence. Conservatives also have a large presence in new media.

And as far as polls are concerned, nobody accurately predicted the 2016 election. This "margin of error" argument is something polling companies like to say to excuse the nebulous science that polling has proven itself to be as of late. I only wish there was margin of error for the last year of that graph.

And I'm not discrediting the data you provided, I'm interpreting it correctly.