1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

...great seeing the big guy out there for the first time!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RNuss02, Oct 24, 2002.

1. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I don't know about anyone else, but the whole idea of actually having Yao out on the court in a Rockets' uni is absolutely awesome. I couldn't stop smiling during the game! This is going to be a fun team to watch down the road. We're young, we're fast, we're big, we're talented, we're....foreign? Well, now we are. That's beside the point. The thing to focus on now is how we gel, or how the players come together as a team. You can already notice how good this team can become, and it all starts with trusts made on the court. Many of the guys already know what each other are capable of, but must still learn the nuances of their new teammates, and vice versa. This is easier said than done, but it really looks like the Rocket vets want to make Yao feel as comfortable as possible, and to take him under their wings (if that is physically possible). It's encouraging to read and see how much attention he's getting from his teammates. It's nice to see Stevie and Cuttino joking with him and giving him hi-fives and the such. I also heard Steve drove Yao to some after practice function so, I assume, they can get to know each other. These kinds of gestures really show how excited the Rockets are to have the new center, and how much they know he can bring to the table. Ming has only been around like two practices and one exhibition, and he already looks and feels like one of the Rockets. That's comforting.

It's also good to see that Yao is having a good time, joking around with the media and his teammates. It shows that he's focussing on the NBA, and not on, like Rudy said, burdening himself with the "weight of the world."

That aside, I really don't care how he played tonight, just that he's here, and that the organization is building something that could be great. Sure, Yao looked a little unsure at times. He was timid at others. It's obvious that he hasn't grasped much of the system, but what do you expect in 2 or 3 days. He showed hustle, he showed attention, he showed vision, he showed athleticism, he showed shot blocking, rebounding, and scoring, and most of all he showed great promise. This guy is a natural, physical freak, with the basketball skills, heart or passion for the game, and saavy to go with it.

Ahhh, the future looks bright. Go Rockets!

2. Holden

Holden Member

im pretty sure..this thread wont get locked.
    yeah..the moment i saw ming standing in front of the scorers table, chills went up my spine.
    and every single little thing he did right..i cheered like crazy..
    all the hype on this guy has worked really well...i really really really want him to succeed..

#11 vernon maxwell
    #11 Bryce Drew
    #11 Yao Ming

any other 11's?

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not bad for a first game with only one practice. he did foul a lot, but the coaches will work with him for net game on that. 1-5 is un-yao-like. we all know that. it must have just been nerves.

next game i expect the same 12-16 minutes, the same foul trouble, but he will go 3-5 with 10 points and 4 rebounds and 1 block.

BTW- any question about yao's rebounding should be answered. 4 in 13 minutes comes out to 14.7 on 48 minutes.

go yao!

4. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

A lot of rebounds bounced out to smaller players when he was in too. This whole debut was just that, a cameo to let him shake the nervousness and get an intiation by fire against some really good opposing big men who aren't just his team mates. I think he did fine.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Damn, I couldn't see the game!

I think he did quite well for someone just landed 3 days ago and had only a couple of day to practice. The fact that he hit all his free throws (especially the first 2 after being floored) shows his poise.

And, yes, 4 rebounds in 13 mins isn't bad.

All the bad things (foul trouble, 1-5 shooting) were pretty much expected from a new guy no matter who he is.