1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Op-ed on how the Republicans self-destruction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 6, 2016.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Because its hard to vote in Texas. So as an example, I live in Minnesota. Lets highlight the difference in voting.

1. I can register to vote online until election day. Online registration takes 30 seconds of my time.

2. Even if I failed to register online or by mail, I can show up on election day and register to vote at the polls.

3. I dont need a photo ID to vote. In fact, I can just tell them my name and address and just walk in and vote (assuming I'm registered).

4. I can vote by mail without having to provide a reason.

5. If I want to vote absentee, there isn't an arbitrary cutoff for when I can request a ballot. I just have to return it by election day.

6. If I failed to register to vote but requested an absentee ballot, the state will send a registration form with the ballot and I can return both together.

7. Minnesota mandates transparency for all absentee ballots. I can look up the status of my absentee ballot at all times and check if one was sent and if the state received my vote.

There are other key differences as well but this is a just a starter. Needless to say, Texas's election laws are just awful. Even online voter registration would be a huge improvement. The current registration system alone is pretty bad let alone the process of actually voting.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Arguing against facts with opinions. Is someone in denial?

Is sitting around and waiting for someone to drag you up to where you "belong", a strategy? You don't consult for the Democrats, do you?

What I've learned today is that if Donald Trump gets the GOP nomination and continues to bring out a record number of voters, then that somehow proves that the GOP has lost - by winning. Great logic.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Those are all reasons of course, but they should not stop eligible voters from voting for the most part, unless those voters do not care to vote, then nothing will help.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Right but what if you're registered and dont have a photo ID. If you're a low wage worker with fixed hours, it just isn't that easy to go to the DPS.

Also, since Texas doesnt have no fault absentee voting, what if you work during voting hours? What happens if you lack adequate transportation.

Dont discount the reality that reducing barriers to voting makes it more likely that people vote.

Minnesota has one of the highest rates of voting and that's without having early voting.

Every barrier to registration or voting has a material impact on voting rates. Simply saying, people "should" vote discounts barriers to transportation, ID, and time.

5. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Those are the facts....

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Tiny factoid: in November 2014 election, latinos and the general public turned out in roughly the same percentages in California and Texas. Latino turnout was actually slightly higher. I believe 2014 was our first election requiring an ID to vote.

http://www.latinodecisions.com/blog/2015/03/31/official-voter-turnout-data-for-latinos-in-2014/

It's probably harder to vote than it needs to be in Texas, but if we're comparing ourselves to California and asking why we aren't as liberal as them, it's not because of voter turnout or minority turnout. It's because our white people are more conservative.

7. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

As long as we have all the necessary checks and balances to make certain a vote represents a living, registered US citizen that is of age and has not lost their privilege to vote I'm all for making it easier.

Voting is not a right it is a privilege and a responsibility. We have entered the age of the idiocracy so I'm not sure making it easier is a good idea.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah don't want to let all those poor democrats vote!

9. okierock

or those poor republicans... poor doesn't have a party right?

10. Major

Major Member

Constitution disagrees.

11. okierock

oh, so anyone can vote?

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should try making sense. Republicans are going after the poor's ability to vote only so they can win more elections. There's no need to hide the truth - you aren't a politician. You know it as well as everyone else.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:confused:

Amendment 15: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

Amendment 19: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

Amendment 24: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

Amendment 26: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Please say you didn't go to school in Texas...please...

15. cml750

cml750 Member

McConnell and Boehner made Trump possible. They were given a majority to stop Obama and basically caved on everything. The held empty votes on token anti-Obama bills they knew would not pass just to appease the base but when push came to shove, Ted Cruz was the only one who tried to do what he was sent to Washington to do (stop Obama). They passed everything Obama wanted with basically no push back but lip service. The Republican base is smart enough to know what McConnell and Boehner did so the whole Trump thing is can be laid at their feet.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Why did the part of the country with 90% of the black population have the strictest laws against them? Native-born whites stuck together across class and denominational lines to negate it electorally. Also, Texas has more conservative Hispanics than one possibly realizes.

17. TheresTheDagger

You have a short memory.

Remember when the Republicans threatened to shut down the government because they were trying to obstruct funding Obamacare? Do you remember the BEATING the party took over that?

Meanwhile, any bill....ANY BILL.... passed by the republican congress that would be worthy of appeasing the "pissed off ignorant" would simply have been vetoed by Obama.

The "pissed off ignorant" voters have seemed to forgotten recent history AND the basic Civics lesson we were all taught in 7th grade.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's celebrity worship, short attention spans, and young voters being too many generations removed from draft lotteries or stagflation to appreciate the potential long-term damage of bad leadership, beyond internet-tailored ideological constructs and culture-war buzz terms. If you can't name one good president and one bad president from each party over the last forty years, if you can't recall two or three catastrophic events throughout American history that parallel current circumstances and highlight the risks of electing a completely inexperienced candidate, than Trump can be laid at your feet.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The Trump phenomenon is not about Obama. Like Sanders (except with different leanings), it is a revolt about the status quo where joe-6-pack was left and forgotten about 30 years ago. It is about the mass exodus of factories and jobs to Mexico, India, and China.

Indeed, I doubt it very much the folks voting for Trump foam at the mouth when they hear the names of McConnell and Boehmer. Lastly, Obama's name is barely mentioned anymore. Relatively speaking, you are talking about old wars.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that explains all those Republican votes for the ACA. :rolleyes: