1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Move by starting Bowen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Alimoe84, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Ryan Bowen was somehow pushed into the starting lineup over Nachbar (who played well as a starter when Tmac was out) and has payed major dividends for the Rockets. In the 23 mins per game he's averging, hes putting up 3.3 ppg, 2.3rpg and 1 apg. Thats great production out of your SF. JVG has no regard for his players and totally ruins their confidence. He's never played the game on the highest level. He's nothing but a dictator and He has to go. Carroll Dawson is trash too!!

2. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Bowen looks like that goofy vulture on the old cartoons, or the tortoise.
    He is no threat at all to drive to the basket, unlike Boki, he won't shoot unless he has a 10 foot buffer, unlike Boki, who can get by with a 9 foot buffer...........ok, I kid............

I fail to see why Boki is being snubbed. Bowen isn't a Boki killer.

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Boki is twice the player Bowen is.

That being said they are both bench players at best.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i prefer bowen over boki.....and the stats don't mean much to me....they don't show boki's defensive lapses or the havok bowen causes for the other team on defense........even on offense i still prefer bowen passing up shots and deferring to yao/tmac over boki launching a shot everytime he touches it.......and lastly, i view boki's stellar 3point shooting percentage this season as an anomoly....imho, he cannot maintain a high percentage through the season with more volume of shots....perhaps the coaching staff feels the same way and will try dealing him while his stock still has worth...

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bowen is a good defender and I like his energy, but the guy can't even dribble the ball with his head up!

6. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

LOL!

Yeah. It really annoyed the heck out of me too listening to the commentators talk about lack of shooting hurting the Rockets (very true) and then watching Bowen contribute nothing offensively, knowing Boki could provide that long range threat we need.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Boki>Bowen

Boki should be starting over Bowen. We need more Offense out there w/ JJ out BUT we won the last 3 games so whocares :cool:

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The Boki love is getting a bit out of hand. Besides decent, if statistically insignificant, 3-point shooting, Nachbar brings very little to the starting lineup.

9. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

He brings size, quickness and atheleticsm to a position that desperately needs it.

He also brings the missing 3pt shooting.. which helps space the court.

Boki brings more offense than defense true but if Boki can tone down his fouling he would be more effective overall.

J

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Im not saying he SHOULD be starting on a daily basies BUT he is a upgrade from Bowen & should get the node over him w/ JJ being out.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm the first to slap down rabid, irrational Bokiphilia as well as Badiamania.

But in this instance I tend to agree with the Bokharans. Bowen is kind of a cypher out there, let's let Boki see if he can make himself statistically significant. I mean, if I had to bet, I'd bet no, but we might as well see so that we can either fish or cut bait with him.

12. solidrocketfan

solidrocketfan Contributing Member

Bowen was scoreless in 23 minutes last night. We can't expect TMac to come thru every game to make up for lack of scoring at the Forward position. Bring Back Boki!!!

13. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Bowen vs Bowen...

Bruce Bowen was terrible offensively his first couple of years in the league and other than being able to hit an open three pointer... he is still no threat offensively and he is the one player that defenses will double off of. Regardless of this... Bruce Bowen is one of the major reasons outside of Duncan that the Spurs are as good as they are.

Ryan Bowen has no confidence on offensive although he will attack the basket if he has a clear path to the basket. So while he is no Bruce Bowen on offense... his defense and energy are just as important to the Rockets as Bruce Bowen is to the Spurs.

We don't need another shooter in the starting lineup.

Sura... creates open shots, solid midrange shot, can attack the basket.
    TMac... number one option
    Bowen... defensive stopper... gives ball to number one or two option.
    Howard... steady at powerfoward. doesn't need touches
    Yao... number two option

I like it.

14. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

Yes, start boki. I would have loved to see Yao in early foul trouble and unable to play strong defense on Duncan. It would have been okay if Yao had to sit on the bench due to foul trouble because boki can pick up wherever Yao leaves off on the offensive AND defensive end.

Sorry fellas, but for every point boki scores, he usually lets a point get scored on us PLUS foul trouble. Bowen, although not giving us points played SOLID defense. Both Bowen and Boki suck, and we can't get too down on Bowen for 0 points because the highest anyone had was FIVE POINTS (other than Yao and Tracy). It's time to wake up! Boki is not anywhere close to good.

15. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

hahahahha.... defensive stopper.....that's the funniest thing i've ever heard. What are you gonna call him now, the "kobe-stopper". If you think defensive stopper is hopping around like a clown in front of your defender then okay he's a defensive stopper. Granted he hustles but i rather have the points than the defense. Offense is what we need.

and your description on howard is so ludacris i don't even need to comment on it. steady powerfoward...doesn't need touches??? hahahhahaha. that's why he shoots it everytime he has the ball. yea. no touches needed...pass me the ganja and maybe i'll see what your seeing.

we don't need another shooter in the lineup?? are you kidding me? we went 5-18 last night in the 1st quarter. We don't have any shooters and that's the thing we need the most.

16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Bowen is too much of a risk on Offense. He doesnt have it. Defense- I dunno if it is pure hustle or just that he waives his arms around so much when he is running that it is distracting.....He kinda looks r****ded. He played hard lastnight though and I wont take that away from him. We just have to weigh out offense vs defense.....

17. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

bingo. we had 64 points with little over a minute left in the whole entire game. And don't even bring up the fact that we were playing the spurs and they 74 points. The point is, our offense is terrible, and bowen doesn't help.

- we're either 2nd to last or dead last in total points per game. A lot of it is due to the coach and some of it is due to the players. So either way, Bowen's positives don't out weight boki's negatives, to me at least.

18. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

If we are going to win... it is with TMac and Yao surrounded by role players. No one in our traditional starting lineup (Sura, TMac, JJ, MoTaylor, Yao) is defensive minded and able to disrupt the flow of the game everywhere on the court. The benefit of having Bowen start is that he is a high energy guy who can cause havoc on the court. Kobe stopper? Nice smartass comment.... Can he stop half of the top guards or fowards in the league? NO. But Bowen brings energy and hustle and heart that no other guard/forward brings.

WE MUST HAVE ROLEPLAYERS IF WE ARE GOING TO WIN.

19. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Yeah but role players usually come off the bench..

The only reason Bruce Bowen stars is that the Spurs are stacked with offensive players.. TDuncan/TParker/Manu/Rasho and Bowen the defensive stopper who hits the three point shot.

RBowen is a high energy, hustle guy like MMadsen/BOutlaw not starting material but will come in and play annoying in your face defense and get after loose balls.

We should be starting Boki over Bowen if those are the only choices.

Boki brings us the same hustle but fouls too easily which is from being too eager. However, Boki has the range and the other offensive skills. I love Boki's shot and im suprised when it doesnt go in cuz it looks so smooth.

Im tired of not developing players and watching them thrive somewhere else. Boki if given the chance could become our protype SF for years to come..

He has the height/ shooting/ ball handling and only weakness seems to be foul prone. That's more about technique than anything else.. we should blame the coaching staff for that.

J

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Well he's a proven Vince-stopper :rolleyes:
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Xy5i1DjzA8QJ:sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230311007

Looking up on Bowen's history he aparently played C and PF in college and has been earning a living as a backup SF/PF.

Juwan & Mo can't get their offense going and are like sieves in defense. At least Bowen can stop the bleeding and when JJ gets back Bowen can at least play Cato's role from last season. And Bowen knows his role, he'll take fouls off Yao.