1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Asik Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Oct 28, 2014.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I get it. I never implied that it somehow counted towards the LT. I was just trying to explain why the Rockets chose to include Ariza in the Asik trade as opposed to using potential cap room aquired in the Jerimy Lin trade.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Of course you should use hindsight to judge trades. By definition, hindsight gives you more complete information. The problem is when people use hindsight to dumb the trade down to worked/didn't work.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Asik is a very good player. Some people slam him because of his pouting last season. I hated how he handled it. But discrediting his value as a player because of that is just not a rational way to look at it.

It was crystal clear that he had to go once we got Howard, especially after the TT experiment failed miserably. There no way you keep a guy like that on the bench and play him 10-15 minutes a game.

It's not Asik's fault getting into that situation. It's not the Rockets' fault for wanting to get Howard. It's just unfortunate.

I do believe that Asik would have been worth more if we weren't desperate at unloading him.

4. NotChandlerParsons

One way of looking at it is we traded Omer Asik for a first round pick, two second round picks, and a still semi-functional Jason Terry. Not a terrible haul IMO. I think the problem that Morey ran into is that the teams that really value what Asik does are also the teams too smart to give up a raft of draft picks for anyone.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Really don't want any major pouty faces on the team this year.

Maybe he has a little brother ?...lol

1 person likes this.
  6. daytripper

daytripper Member

Yes I understand Asik had to go.

Sure wish he could've been dealt to an EC team though. Hornets look like a playoff team with that Unibrow/Asik/Anderson frontline. Assuming they stay somewhat healthy that team could be really good.

7. daytripper

daytripper Member

^^Damn I meant Pels

8. NotChandlerParsons

His name is Zomer Asik but he's really not very good.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nola looks like a playoff team because they beat one of the worst teams in NBA history? Our 3rd stringers beat Orlando's starters just a few days ago.

Typical panic in the GARM.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

When did Asik ever shutdown Howard? The only time they've gone head to head since Asik has been a starter was during Dwights year in LA. That season he averaged 20pts, 14.7 reb, 50%FG%, 3.7 blk and 1.7 stls per game vs Houston. Those number will get you in the hall of fame.

You might also want to check Jones' performance vs Anthony Davis last season.

They went head to head twice last season. In those games Jones averaged 21pts on 64% FG%, 8 reb and 4.5 blk shots. Davis averaged 21 pts on 59% fg%, 11.5 reb and 1 block shot.

Pretty much a draw.

The Pelicans are improved but still a lottery team.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It actually was a great trade considering the circumstances

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Everyone is getting way too excited because of the Pelicans win last night. That Orlando team is basically the equivalent of the Lakers if they didn't have Kobe.

13. rocketsmetalspd

The media plays it off like the Pelicans are legit title contenders for some reason this season. I don't see the big deal about that team. Asik will not be doing that against true title contenders. It really goes to show how he was not giving his all out effort for the Rockets last season. I am glad his was traded because he really did not want to be on the team.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His numbers last year were the same as the year before, he just didn't play as many minutes.

He's good, we knew he was good, he didnt get traded because we thought he sucked.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Plus the fact that.....dun dun dun....he wanted to get traded. He didn't want to be a backup.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

People are forgetting the 3rd big in that rotation Ryan Anderson.

How I wish we could have somehow snagged him. Almost the perfect stretch 4 in our system next to Dwight.

An Asik / Davis / Anderson big rotation may be the best in the league and that is no stretch.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Vooch is no slouch when it comes to rebounding.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

and they're one trade away for a backcourt playmaker to really making some noise.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I didn't say was. Just pointing out that there's two sides to the story. Can't really quote Asik's stat line if you don't mention his opponents.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm assuming the OP is really into Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee.