1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Asik Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Oct 28, 2014.

1. SPBR

SPBR Member

Erm neck injury?

2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Actually the Asik trade netted us Ariza, Terry, a protected 1st, and 2 2nd rounders.

But damnit, we had to give up Casspi! :(

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

HE tried to get two picks, no one bought it. I agree Asik was worth more but he got butt hurt and you had to sell him low.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Either you are trolling (likely) or oblivious to facts, because the facts are that 1. Asik forced his way off the team, and 2. every gm in the entire league knew that Morey had no choice but to trade him, so Morey's bargaining position was severely weakened. These two facts have been pointed out roughly one zillion times, yet you want us to believe that you aren't aware of them?

Give everyone reading this one good reason not to put you on ignore.

1 person likes this.
  5. vator

vator Contributing Member

Only on ClutchFans can you find somebody so eager to find something to complain about in regards to the Rockets halfway through the first game of the season when we're up 17 points lol. You the real MVP.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Rec for a great first post!

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I will read the article Clutch referred me to, because that might make me feel better.

To those people who call this a knee-jerk thread - there's nothing knee-jerk about it. I would have started the same thread when the trade went down if I was keeping up with the board at the time. Any Rocket fan of the last few years should be well aware of the consistent production Asik delivers. Yet,, all I perceive we get is a first round pick. You fools were probably the same people claiming we should be able to get Millsap for Asik. Now, you're championing a first round pick as a success.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

You admit that you haven't been keeping up with the board so you apparently are not keeping up with the facts as well. Do some research. You're making yourself look bad. Everybody here knows that Asik is a good player and was a valuable commodity. It made no sense to keep him...he didn't want to be here...he would only play 18 minutes a game...we got what we could. The end.

9. Pete the Cheat

Because you were too lazy to post his stat line, I can only assume this is..a..good?...thing?

Glad you are happy with the trade (?)
    *winky face*

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cry over spillt milk much?

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Ok, you think asking for Millsap is too much, but getting a first round pick is too little. So what is exactly the right amount of value that Morey should have asked for to satisfy you then?

12. oakdogg

Can somebody please explain to me how we obtained Ariza for Asik? I read BimaThug's article, and it says that is what happened but did not really elaborate on the mechanics of it. From my understanding, Ariza was signed with caproom, which I would think we could have created through other means.

I don't pretend to know all of the intricacies of the salary cap, etc. If we got Ariza, I guess that makes it better. Losing Asik for just a first round pick would be a failure.

13. oakdogg

Well, if a first round pick is all the market was offering, I would have held onto him for another year. I don't care if that isn't his preference. People act like 12-20 minutes a game is insignificant. It's >25% of the game! If we're going to allow a layup drill for 25% of each game, it will cost us.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

We already stated what our eventual haul was for Asik. We are not the ones starting threads without all the information. Trade was good for both sides, we got what we could for a very disgruntled player.

15. oakdogg

Haha. In the time it took you to write that worthless reply, you could have enlightened me. But I guess I will have to continue my conclusion that we could have gotten Ariza by creating cap space through other means & still kept Asik. Thanks.

16. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Too much money tied up in Harden and Howard to just sign Ariza so had to move Asik while taking back almost no money. No, there was no other real way to sign Ariza without moving Asik and Lin.
    #2 Asik was a cancer in the Rockets locker room, made it clear he didn't want to come off the bench and was unproductive last year after pouting and having a "slow" to heal "injury".

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Because all of your replies on this thread are golden nuggets, right? :rolleyes:

Off to bed, done responding to ungrateful people.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wrong thread

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not just the first round pick genius, multiple people already said that trade includes Ariza, Terry and 2 2nd rounders. Just because you're oblivious to the facts it doesn't excuse you from jumping the gun and overreacting.

Secondly even if all we got for Asik was a 1st round pick, remember that we signed him in free agency so he didn't cost anything to get, we got two years off him on discount and then we received a pick when he left. So tbh you really are just shooting your mouth off without knowing anything about situation.

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think the morale of this story is read up or at least ask some questions before making conclusive assessments like in your OP. This topic has been discussed and debated in great length and it's clear we got a decent haul for not necessarily Asik but what kind of value he had or what he could contribute to the team.