1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Article on Texas A&M's Jerrod Johnson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketfanatic2, Sep 30, 2009.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Sorry i'm not gonna lie I was honestly just trying to troll that guy. However, since you actually brought up some data I will agree with you. A&M is ahead of UH right now. I think you also hit the nail on the head that it isn't about the education at UH, rather it is the administration. I sincerely believe that the situation at UH is going to get a lot better in coming years. So to me, it is ridiculous for anyone to actually and seriously consider it a "ghetto school" or a joke..

2. Rocketfanatic2

I couldn't have said it any better. Great post. :D

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I like to razz fans of other teams as much as the next guy, but that guy just did it the wrong way.

I really hope UH gets the administration together.

Donny brought up the administrative funding. That is one thing. The other is that they (at least 9 years ago when I was last there) had people managing the university that just suck at it. I hope they have gotten better managers.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're way off. A&M is 61 and UH is tier 4.

Rice is highest at 17. Texas is next at 47. Like I mentioned, A&M is at 61. SMU is next at 68. Baylor at 80. That's it for tier 1 & 2 in Texas.

TCU is the highest third tier school. Texas Tech is tier 3 also.

Here is the LINK I found. I'm actually surprised because I remember UT, A&M, and SMU being much higher a few years back.

5. PointForward

PointForward Member

I agree Refman, and I regret stooping down to that level, but it pisses me off beyond belief when someone who attended a university that isn't comparable to ours starts spewing nonsense about our University like Mr. moes did. You know, I don't have a problem with Longhorns talking crap, because we talk crap too, it's rivalry, we're rivals, that's what rivals do, all in good fun. but what makes a guy who went to freaking UH think that he can talk $h!t about TAMU? I usually wouldn't respond to moes' playful nonsense because that's his style, and he's damn good at it (see: the 5 blue boxes right under his name), but that was uncalled for and beyond silly. He isn't in a position to wonder what the F$%^ an "aggie" means.

This isn't the thread for this. a football-wise flawed but otherwise great article describing our QB's life and the challenges he faced shouldn't illicit a response similar to that. But what do you know, it's the interwebz and moes runs it :D

6. PointForward

PointForward Member

and to Hamza: we have a top 10 engineering program in the nation. TAMU Nuclear and Petroleum engineering are consistently ranked 1st or 2nd nationally. And we're a top 20 American research institute.. I'm not here to boast about how great my university or demeaning UH, but if you think they're close, you're really delusional. UH offers a quality education, but comparing it to Texas A&M University is a joke, just like it is a joke comparing Texas A&M to the superior Rice/Yale/Harvard/Princeton etc. My point: Knowing your place is a great thing..

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Ok, really dude?? Knowing your place?? I got into A&M with a pretty great scholarship and much better schools than that place. However, I stayed at home to help out my parents for a while. So are you going to tell me that I should know my place because I'm going to UH instead of the oh so high A&M? As far as undergrad goes, who cares? It wont really make any substantial difference in the long run (seems to be general consensus nowadays) anyways. It's not all about rankings either. I bet that the internship and other job opportunities I receive because of living in a big city and the campus' proximity to downtown outweigh whatever you get at TAMU. I have lots of friends who go there and they don't have the same opportunities. Not saying UH is better, but since my original qualm was with you saying that you'll be his boss, I just wanted to say that I doubt it. Neither university has the prestige of Rice or UT, yet both are generally regarded as better than the other public universities in Texas.

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Wow...

You posted that you understood what I was saying and then minutes later demonstrated otherwise.

I am assuming that you are either a current student or a recent alum.

It has "only" been 14 years since my class graduated, but I can distinctly recall this type of discourse being tabbed as bad bull when I was at TAMU.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Texas A&M is the #1 public school in Texas in terms of salary for bachelor degreed graduates 15yrs into their career. UT is pretty close. I remember Baylor being there also. SMU a little further down. UH? Keep going lower...

10. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Are you talking about the internet poll that said that or has there been actual research? Honest question.

11. fmp087

fmp087 Member

LOL. Man, you killed it right there. If you're going to continue being ignorant, let me ask you, what the hell does "gig em" mean (were you guys trying to do it like UT and do the whole "hook 'em" thing and fail miserably or was it something totally else), and what's and aggie? LOL. And no I didn't go to UH.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/30/co...30publiccolleges_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=20000

http://www.smartmoney.com/Personal-Finance/College-Planning/The-Best-Colleges-For-Making-Money/

1 person likes this.
  13. PointForward

PointForward Member

LOL. hey, ignorant, check this out:
    from wikipedia.com:
    I'll leave it to you to google "gig em" and find out how it originated. It is worth noting that "gig em" was the very first and original slogan of the form " ---- 'em" ..

and here is a good witty definition of "aggies" I found: "an intelligent species that has maroon blood, tends to have allergic reactions to the color of burnt orange, and can "WHOOP!" louder than any other known living organism. (Note, upon graduation this species, may also be referred to as "Boss"). "

by the way guys, I'm done with this thread. Quit derailing; one guy came in to derail a great thread spewing his nonsense, I responded to him, and it's over. Please stop attacking me and my beloved TAMU so that the level of discourse doesn't stoop any lower that it already has. and Mr. Refman, I have nothing but respect for you, but please drop the righteous act sir. We're not exactly dealing with rocket scientists here, putting folks back in their places is a good thing..

thanks & gig em

14. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Lol. Don't take it so serious man you sound stressed, you got me with the "gig em", but when I said you're being ignorant I was referring to refmans post and your response to it stating you understood what he was saying, but then at the end of your post you backtracked right back to where you started "mr. boss" when you talk about nonsense like putting people in their place. But thanks for looking that up though, never knew you the "gig em" deal.

15. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Sorry no edit feature. 'never knew the whole gig em deal'. And pointforward I still don't know what gig em means or what an aggie is. Lol.

Anyways JJs parents are great people for doing what they do. It takes a lot of heart to raise children that aren't your own with the same love and care.

16. superden

superden Contributing Member

Wow...this has been a heated thread.

Speaking as a Texas Ex...

The article about Jerrod's family and life is pretty cool. It is great to see more and more college football players being good role models. What a great story!

About a&m football.. I think they have greatly improved, but lets not get too much ahead of ourselves now. Their offense seems to be fine, it is their defense that is the problem. Don't think about trying to beat OU, UT, or OSU if you only beat Utah State 38-30.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=292620245

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

What was the point of this post other than to pretty much ruin the thread?

18. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

I feel bad for the OP. He wanted his thread to go in one way and many of the idiots on this board completely mangled it into multiple and different directions from the initial topic.

I graduated from A&M in 04 (class of 02, with 2 victory laps) and I love my school. We're not perfect by any means and neither is every other school, no matter how much they think they are. I do know that athletics are the doorstep to a university and since our football team hasn't done much recently, we (A&M) are perceived negatively, even though there are so many other great things going on in Aggieland.

One of those great things is Jerrod Johnson. I'm not the biggest proponent of his on the football field. I think he's good, but I think he has so much to work on. In h.s., he played WR and some TE, so he didn't fully develop as a QB; and when we had Fran here, you know he was developing him as an option QB. I don't like Jerrod's throwing motion and his slow, winding release and I think NFL coaches Sherman and Rossely don't like it either; but he's got another 3/4 of season to play out and a full one next year to improve his NFL stock. He's having a bang-up year so far, with the competition about to get a lot harder. With as good as he's been on the field this year, everything I've heard is that people absolutely love him and his family. If you ever think outside the box and wonder how people would behave when 'you' pass away, just realize that when his father passed away, the entire town of Humble grieved; that's a pretty telling sign. Also, Jerrod had the majority of his teammates come down to Humble to be there with him; saying "I'm sorry for your loss" is one thing, being there is so much bigger and shows the respect his team has for Jerrod. Mr. Johnson was considered a great man and Jerrod has developed into one as well.

19. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

This is true. That post is what triggered the demise of this thread.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Every Aggie thread in the Hangout gets Gag'd in that fashion. Its basically a form of racism. Although personally I prefer being mutants like the X-Men. They just hate what they don't understand. Maybe if they spent some time with a sheep they would understand? Maybe one day we can all live in harmony (except for Tech, F Tech).