1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Graphic: Death shown] I found a genuine reason for armed protests.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fchowd0311, May 26, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've state this before regarding the Eric Garner case. LE have to deal with many different kinds of people. The excuse that the LEO didn't kill the guy and it was that the guy was out of shape is undercut when they do a technique that already is known to be dangerous, put on improperly and on for far beyond what could be considered necessary.

LE aren't always facing young in shape people or professional athletes but a range of people and the US being a fat country a lot of people with the health conditions that Floyd had. The argument that well it's just the suspects underlying condition would then say that it is OK for a LEO to beat someone who's death or is mentally impaired because they weren't following instructions. The LEO has to make some sort of reasonable accommodation but also has to follow the rules regarding use of force.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

• The dozen people behind the division’s blistering report on the Baltimore City Police Department, which a 15-month investigation concluded displayed patterns of unconstitutional conduct.

• The two attorneys who secured the first hate crime convictions involving both racial and sexual orientation bias in a case in which a gay black man was attacked with a frying pan and a sock filled with batteries, pistol-whipped, sodomized with a broom, whipped with a belt and doused with bleach on his face and in his eyes.

• The lawyer who moved his entire family to Arizona to take on the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, which was run until recently by Joe Arpaio, the prominent Trump supporter currently facing a criminal contempt of court charge for disobeying a federal judge’s order in a racial profiling case.

• A lawyer who helped challenge North Carolina’s HB2, an anti-LGBT law that would ban transgender individuals from using the bathroom that matches their gender identity.

• The deputy chief of the Civil Rights Division’s criminal section, who won convictions against “dozens of abusive law enforcement officers.”

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Instead of saying LE or LEO just say PIGS.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not surprised King looks to be a grifter.

Shaun King Keeps Raising Money, and Questions About Where It Goes

https://www.thedailybeast.com/shaun-king-keeps-raising-money-and-questions-about-where-it-goes-3

Where Did All the Money Shaun King Raised for Black Lives Go?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/goldi...he-money-shaun-king-raised-for-black-lives-go

King collected millions of dollars for everyone from Haitian orphans to the families of black men and children killed by police across America. Some of that money went to survivors or victims’ families, but much of the largess either went into failed projects, King’s own pockets, or is unaccounted for.

“It’s just bullshit,” King told The Daily Beast on Tuesday after allegations were lobbed against him by members of his own movement. “People need to understand that failure is not fraud.”

The former mega-church pastor-turned-citizen journalist has leveraged heavy doses of charisma into 218,000 Twitter followers and a column at the New York Daily News to chronicle instances of suspected injustices carried out by police in predominantly non-white communities. King counts a flurry of A-list celebrities and largely left-leaning politicians among his most ardent fans. They follow his Twitter timeline for the latest news—whether it’s a video of a cop shooting an unarmed black boy or a school resource officer accused of brutalizing a teenager.

FrontRunner and Nook like this.
  5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Wait a minute I like the tweet and didn’t know it was Swift. Like withdrawn lol .

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not all states have them. It is also rare for MN. I think this is Freeman trying to be careful. Given what happened with the Trayvon Martin case I think it's a good strategy. I know many people would like to see Chauvin charged with 1st degree murder but under MN law that would be very hard to prove.

Hakeemtheking and amaru like this.
  7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

That’s a real president’s response to a crisis. Not the idiot in chief that calls for shooting

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think second degree is reasonable and should have been the charge. Manslaughter only if it was a quick split second decision that led to a death.

When you have your knee on someone's neck for multiple minutes even after they are motionless, it's not an accident anymore.

First degree would be impossible to prove unless there is something else we are missing. Because first degree means that the officer came to that scene knowing he was going to kill the victim which I highly doubt.

Nook likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This keeps getting stranger -- Floyd and Chauvin probably knew each other and worked security at the same bar.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Holy ****!

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

2nd under MN law requires "depraved intent" that's such a subjective term I think it will be hard to prove. That also gets into whether Chauvin actually in that moment intended to kill Floyd. While you and I agree with this I have the feeling a good defense attorney could raise all sorts of doubt on that.

The worst thing that could happen is if Chauvin gets acquitted, and there is still that possibility, in this case I think putting the most solid case possible even if it is conservative is better than an overreach that could end in acquittal.

Blatz and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Agree. I think the fact that no one rendered aid, and Chauvrin held his position for a full three minutes after Floyd had no pulse is reason enough he won't get acquitted.

Now, you throw in the video and it's real.

This isn't some case of accidentally pulling the trigger. This is a 9 minute, deliberate killing.

If he is acquitted, I fear for your neighborhood, and the whole city.

Let's be real, the guy will probably get 2 or 3 years.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

tbh I wouldn't expect him to last long in the prison system depending on where he would be placed. imagine what's waiting inside those walls, if what's outside of it is a glimpse

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

PC?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Maybe. We’ll see how this plays out

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I’m reading your posts but what’s your general opinion on the situation?

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

hard to believe given the video

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Yea that’s very hard to believe. The “potential intoxicants” phrase is suspicious to say the least. It states that no evidence of intoxicants was found but implies that it may still be there. I understand that toxicology screens take some time (I don’t know how long) but shouldn’t the M.E. have those results before making a statement?

Buck Turgidson and Blatz like this.