1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GRANTLAND] With Dwight Howard in the Fold, What Is Omer Asik's Future With the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

This!

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I do NOT see Asik working out nearly as well defensively at the 4 as the author here seems to think he would. Nor would Dwight. Neither Asik nor Howard have the lateral agility to keep up with quicker face-up power forwards like Griffin, and they especially don't have the ability to step out to the perimeter and guard a guy like Kevin Love or LMA who can bang down long range jumpers if given the slightest bit of space.

Yes, there are situations where Dwight and Asik might play together. Against Memphis, for example, where Gasol and ZBo are both big and slow footed and can't range out to the three point line (or near it). But this situation will be relatively uncommon.

Plus, if you start Asik alongside Howard, there may be times, due to foul trouble or fatigue, that neither big man will be on the floor. In those situations, our defense will collapse and the bench will give up huge numbers to opposing offenses.

All in all, I see Asik as more of a "defensive 6th man" than a starter on this team. He will play very well in that role, and will probably end up getting 20+ minutes on average because of the occasional teams where he CAN play alongside Dwight. But still, a bench player, and not a starter.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. Any time both Asik and Howard are on the floor together the other team will immediately go small. They know that on the defensive side a smaller man can adequately neutralize Asik, who really does not have the hands or the athletic ability to take advantage of the mismatch.

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

1. If you rely on Asik's offensive rebounds, then your pnr has failed. It is good to have his offensive rebounds, but it's not worth the sacrifice of pnr efficiency.

2. Again, this is a secondary solution, which we can have without Asik as well.

3. Again, we have to ADJUST to this defense, meaning we have to give up the pnr.

All in all, all the solutions suggested sound like forcing Asik into the starting line up to make things work, but by sacrificing other aspect such as pnr efficiency. It just doesn't show more benefits than its costs.

Can Asik start in the line up? Yes
    Can we have find ways to make Asik's presence not a liability? Probably yes.
    Is it worth it? I don't think so.

5. seeingred

seeingred Member

I think there's a way better chance of Jones, DMO, or even Parsons (as a stretch) developing into a serviceable Power Forward than there is of us finding anyone close to Asik's defensive acumen on this roster. I get that the starting PF spot will get 30+ minutes a game whereas the backup Center (im thinking Asik) will get 20 at the most. But in my opinion, Asik's 20 with the second unit is more valuable than a starting PF who will be the 5th option on offense and have the best defensive player in the game backing him up on defense.

Until the trade deadline, I think we'll experiment with every type of lineup there is to see if we can't become elite with the players we have.

This team, as currently constructed, is a swiss army knife that can potentially cause problems for any team in the league.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I too have been pondering this question. But my current thinking revolves around the undisputed fact that there is exactly one basketball on the court at a time. Basically the question is: are their enough offensive shot opportunities available to warrant an addition of a PF who needs shots? A few thoughts:

1: Houston had the second most productive offense in 2012-2013.
    2: Howard will require 5 to 7 more shots a game than Asik.
    3: Houston returns the entire core of the 2012-2013 team.

Given those points I cannot escape the conclusion that the Rockets do not have room for Love, Millsap, LMA ... in their offensive scheme. And with Howard/Asik on the court at all times, how many rebounds are going to be available to the PF position?

7. basketballholic

Wow. You seem to be coming around. "I'm gonna keep my eye on you."

;)

8. basketballholic

1. I'm not the least bit concerned about the Harden/Howard pick and roll failing. I'm not the least bit concerned about the Harden/Asik pick and roll failing either. (Remember, you could flip them and put Howard on the baseline for putbacks too.) Howard and Asik were way too successful running pick and roll last year....and they ran it with Greg Smith in the game with them.

2. Yes, we can have all sorts of solutions, some without Asik as well. That's what a 15 man roster is all about. We don't want 15 Asiks and Howard. But two of them...is not too many.

3. Any team and player in the NBA will tell you, the game is all about adjustments. No matter who the players are, you're not going to be able to run pick and roll for the entire game for the entire season in every possession. Just doesn't work that way. Gotta keep making adjustments. The teams that win championships are the teams that make the best adjustments throughout the course of games, the season, and playoff series.

Is it worth a try before we give Asik away for some boiled peanuts and pork skins? Yes

9. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

The starting PF on this team is going to be on the court for two things: defense and rebounds.

On a starting roster of Lin, Harden, Parsons, and Howard, you do not need another offensive weapon - every single one of those guys can beat their man one-on-one and finish their shots. Harden commands a ton of defensive attention on the perimeter and if Howard has the ball in the paint he almost mandates double-teaming. The only thing the PF needs to do is score when he is open. As long as you have someone who can make the open shot (i.e., you can't leave him alone to double-team Harden or Howard) then he has more than done his job on the offense. If you're lucky you get someone who knows how to properly execute some screens, but that's a luxury on a team where two guards can perform the PNR so well that they did it for themselves for half the season to excellent effect.

Defense is where we need someone who can alleviate some of the pressure off of Howard/Asik and can help with the rebounding. With another strong defensive presence in the paint, opposing guards won't be as able to dish and drive at will or run basic PNRs and get an open shot.

10. AvgJoe

It's worth a try of course. I am just saying imo it won't work.

I don't recommend giving Asik away for cheap. He can be a great backup to Howard and insurance in case Howard can't stay healthy. And Asik can be a great trading piece coming around trade deadline, where he won't be traded cheaply.

The way I see it. Asik is a great C defender and rebounder, but having him and Howard together on court have too much overlap. It MAY work on defense, if Howard guards the PF (if he's fast enough). But offensively, Asik is just too slow, bad at catching, not good at passing. You gain the offensive rebounds, but you lose floor spacing and transition defense and offense. Just don't seem to be worth it.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can not just guard the rim in the NBA any longer. If you look how defenses guard the PnR with 3 shooters spread out - they still put four guys in the paint.

So the idea that Asik will clog the paint by standing on the week side baseline and edge of the paint is ridiculous. His defender is already there! A strech 4 doesnt change the D all that much, it just means that if the ball gets swung to the weakside he has to step out.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Asik is probably the better perimeter defender compared to Howard. He moves really well laterally. The idea he is slow is a big misconception - he doesn't have a high speed but that's not what is required for perimeter defense.

And his hands being so bad that he can't catch a pass is over-exaggerating. The guy average double digits a game last year.

13. AvgJoe

So then, if Howard sets a pick, Harden drives in the paint, Asik's man closes up on Harden. Where should Asik be staying? How is he not clogging the paint? If he stands too close, his man can cover him and Harden at the same. If he stands too far, he can't shoot, so by the time he catches the ball, then head to the rim, the defense is already recovered. That is assuming Harden can pass the ball easily with Asik's man covering him and Asik can catch the ball.

14. AvgJoe

I am not entirely sure about his perimeter defense better than Howard. He has no hop, so he has trouble challenging outside shots. LMA always kills us even when Asik covers him.

And you haven't mentioned anything about our transition defense and offense. PPat and DMO were money running that play with Lin's lob pass. We can't just have Parsons run at it. And who's going to cover Asik's man if he starts to run for our transition defense.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

He can stand just outside the paint near the baseline. That's far enough that if his defender steps up to Harden he leaves Asik open for two steps and a dunk. Remember Harden is getting a pick on the other side of the court, so he's going to be at worst coming straight down the middle of the paint. Asik's man isn't the issue - he'll have to stay with Asik. Someone will have to pick up Howard on the roll. And one guy has to help Harden's defender by stepping up in the paint. That leaves one guy to defend 2 3point shooters in Parsons and I guess Lin on the other baseline 3. It can work with the personal we have - only because we have James Harden can it work.

#75 Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  16. AvgJoe

Right, so Howard can just grab his man, and Harden's man, so none of them gets close to Harden, so Harden can take his time and pass the ball to Asik, who catches the ball easily and dunk it.

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Asik for Aldridge.

18. AvgJoe

If Asik is staying at the edge of the paint, how can his man not close in on Harden? If Harden has an open lane, and Asik's man is in the paint, do you think he will stay with Asik and let Harden do free lay up every time?

On top of that, most likely Harden's man will be still close to Harden, but maybe trailing a bit, so really to Harden, he's being covered by his man and Asik's man closing on him. As good as Harden is at passing, it is not such an easy job to pass to Asik with an athletic big in front. Not to mention he may get into a charge call if he decides to continue a layup.

And you still haven't answered my question about transitional defense and offense with Asik and Howard together.

19. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Speaking of Ryan Anderson, did you guys hear that his girlfriend/reality tv show (Bachelor) contestant commited suicide.. How horrible~

20. raskol

raskol Contributing Member