1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GRANTLAND] With Dwight Howard in the Fold, What Is Omer Asik's Future With the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I heard Morey on an interview (in Orlando I think). He was kind of joking but pretty much didn't deny the request. Host jokingly described the scene where Asik's agent politely requested a trade for Asik after the Dwight signing. Morey laughed and said something to the effect of - ha ha it didn't go quite the nicely or something like that. Then he moved on to say why we wanted Asik around. So yeah, I'm pretty sure Asik or his agent requested a trade.

But he's a pro and won't be a malcontent.

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Good analysis. I will rep (although I'm not quite as optimistic as you about OKC, and spurs worry me and Clips worry me with their shooting). Hopefully it will gel as you believe - I can see it, and hope it happens. Also, if we ever get a good lead on anyone, putting Asik and Howard on the floor together will keep the lead from evaporating on most nights. I also agree that in the west there are a lot of good two big men teams that require us keeping Asik. I would not want Anderson for him. Would think a little bit about eliasova though.

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

cyberx reported it here.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Keep Asik until February. By that time, someone will be available that is not now.

I predict that Kevin Love forces a trade to Houston over the next 13 months.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Interesting article, thanks man. How cool would it be if Omer developed a jumper. He can shoot free throws, no reason why he can't work in a shot from out there in-game.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

How can he shoot free throws? He had one of the worst free throw percentages last season.

7. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Well according to Morey, having a back up center like Asik could yield better results than a replacement power forward. Again that depends on what PFs are available compared to how our young guys show up. I don't think Morey will deny a good deal if it comes around, but he's not going to rush anything. It's the same thing with Jeremy Lin... there just isn't a guy out there we can easily get that will provide a huge upgrade.

If other teams start having issues and their needs suddenly change that they are willing to give us a really good deal, Morey will jump on it... Until then he can kick his feet up and watch how things work out this season.

8. Rox23

Rox23 Member

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guess Grantland reads CF - seems like they took everything from thread discussions here.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I really hope we keep Asik.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

You're probably right. Bima's getting screwed over

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=8179516#post8179516

By the way, the example they show of the lane being clogged on the Harden shot is ridiculous. The Defense is going to be in that zone even if you put a stretch 4 in there and have them be out on the baseline. Ridiculous.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Z5f4Uo57vC4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Z5f4Uo57vC4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Aw damn. I thought that stuff was all a hodgepodge of stuff. But damn, they copied your stuff nearly verbatim.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

3 or 4 posters made really good posts, and literally they pulled from those 3 or 4 posts 80% of the article. I mean, they didn't even try to hide some of it.

15. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

16. basketballholic

I'm surprised you didn't take apart Zach's article and videos since you strongly disagree with him on the idea of Dwight and Asik being able to play together for substantial minutes.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

We will have preseason to experiment with lineups.

18. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I thinks that's a good thorough assessment, I'm not sure what the right answer is, I really don't, but I am very interested in how it plays out. Can't wait for pre season to see how Mchale plays it to build chemistry

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think most people know what I think about the situation - playing them together will close down the lane to Lin and Hardens dribble penetration. So I am just waiting for the season to begin. We will see them both on the court together then.

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

When did Zach Lowe write about the fit of Howard and Asik? Link?