1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Trio Grande Valley

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by chongx04, Feb 27, 2014.

1. chongx04

chongx04 Member

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

http://grantland.com/features/nba-dleague-rgv-vipers-houston-rockets-future-of-basketball/

They just had another fantastic article "The Amazing Pace" on the Vipers and their coach Nevada Smith a few days ago. Sorry if this has been posted already.

Read it because the Vipers coach said something revealing. He said he believes coaches try to control the game too much by calling plays, so he refrains from it and lets the players play.

It could be the same philosophy our coaches work under and which has given us fans a lot of grief in the endgame when our guys revert to Harden isos and other predictable plays. The coaches want the players to figure things out.

That may work for a veteran team but with our guys, I kinda believe we need to be able to play without sets as well as with sets. Situational.

3. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

We take it to the next level.

[​IMG]

In 3 years we'll start a mentorship program and no coaches in 5.

4. steady

steady Member

LOL

This article is very long and very fascinating. Really looking forward to getting a look at our RGV trio, especially Robert Covington. I have the same good feeling about him as I had about Patrick Beverley from the first time Rockets announced he might be signed.

5. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I think in general, because the fans only see the games, they naturally underestimate the importance of the preparation and training aspect of the coaching staff's work, and vastly overestimate the importance of in-game adjustments and play-calling. I'm not an expert, but I would venture to say that most fans think what you do on the sidelines define you as a coach. In reality, it's probably what you do in the locker room, on the practice court, in the video room that really set you apart.

1 person likes this.
  6. steady

steady Member

Yes, and the article also gave me an appreciation for how a hands off approach (for example, letting the players choose how to close out a game) might be part of a greater philosophy about installing confidence in the players to trust their reactions (which I can get behind) rather than just caving to the personal inclinations and proclivities of superstars

7. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Agreed. The roles that the coaching staff plays behind the scenes can't be overemphasized. Too often, people judge by what they see on the floor without taking into account what happens behind closed doors. Prepping in any sport > game time adjustments.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M5m1GghFRUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>