1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Grantland) - The Defense Rests

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bigred77

bigred77 Member

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9997968/the-rockets-approach-nba-finals-worthy

Interesting article on the rockets.

Especially liked this footnote on Asik: The source confirms the specifics of Feigen's report — that McHale during a team meeting first asked Greg Smith if Smith was ready to play against the Knicks. Smith had been working hard despite a lack of minutes, and the coaching staff was excited to give him a chance. Smith told the coaches he was indeed ready. McHale then turned to Asik and asked the same question. Asik said he was not prepared to play against the Knicks. He has not played since that meeting.

1 person likes this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

Rings true on DH12's post game... sigh...
    This team feels a lot like a group of one-way players.
    Our best offensive players: Harden, Lin, and Donatas (better post game than Howard) are bad defenders. Our best defensive players, Howard, Asik and PatBev are poor offense creators.

CP is our only two-way player, and I love his game, but is not elite on either end...

Bottomline is if Harden's D and Howard's O do not improve dramatically, I don't see us as real contenders..

1 person likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good read. Also liked this side note:

An Asik–Ryan Anderson trade might be the most popular fake trade in NBA history, but I've heard no indication the Pellies are ready to seriously open those talks. I love the idea of an Atlanta-Houston swap, or perhaps a three-team trade, centered on an Asik–Paul Millsap exchange. Millsap would fit perfectly in Houston, to the point that other Western Conference executives would hold the deal against Danny Ferry forever. Asik would allow the Hawks to shift Al Horford to center and shore up Atlanta's blah defense. But I have a feeling each team would consider its own incumbent player the more valuable trade ingredient, and thus the two sides would be at an impasse over which should send a draft pick or some other sweetener.​

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Play07

Play07 Member

Interesting article on the rockets I read prior to this post, Op left out what article is really about, the asik stuff is nothing new here on CF. The article is Zach’s unbiased
    opinion on the rocket’s

-perimeter defense (bev, lin harden, parsons) quotes from Sampson
    -Howard in the post, his decline & pleasing him
    -our offense in general & playoffs chances
    -asik situation

6. bigred77

bigred77 Member

I really respect Zach Lowe's opinion and I'm now really warming up to the idea of a Millsap - Asik swap (Even if we have to throw in an extra 2nd rounder to get it done).

I really wish Camby was still in the mix as an insurance policy at the 5.

7. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

After our offseason I never thought we'd be able to sneak up on teams, but I have a feeling we will be under the radar of the elite teams all year, which I think is when we play best. Let everybody dismiss us while we clean up our deficiencies and become a lethal team!

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This guy's an entertaining writer. I don't know if he's always spot-on, but I like (most of) his articles.

9. pnr

pnr Member

Love Zach Lowe.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It is definitely a negative article. The two main things I took from it were: force-feeding Dwight in the post is bad for everyone, and our perimeter defense is, as a whole, terrible.

I'm sure we all knew that already, but it's good to hear it from an outside source.

He also makes a good point about old-timers criticizing Dwight's post up game without taking into account the recent rule changes.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Asik/Milsap deal definitely makes sense for all involved. I'd still start Jones over Milsap though.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Zach Lowe articles always make me feel smarter after reading.

13. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Good article. The part on Rocket's bad defense, especially Harden, is dead on.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

What he spoke about is what many on CF have made comments about or made threads. It’s just that now the information is coming from a well-respected writer. The good thing is its early, and everyone from the our players/coaches down to people who don’t have csn or stream that have only watched the televised lakers & knicks game see the problems.

Good thing is the issues were exposed early & not covered up. We have time to fix them. But like Sampson said everything is not always on the coaches. If they’re fixed we don’t stand a chance in winning a playoff series.

15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Video of what Zach calls "a fun little play [that the Rockets] should keep [...] coming":

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hu9-8rkEta0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Has been in the playbook since pre-season. IIRC, first time they ran it Dwight didn't let the play develop and ran into the brick wall that is also known as Roy Hibbert. Execution has seemingly gotten better over time.

1 person likes this.
  16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

from this article, I learnt two things.

1) svg knows howard better than McHale.
    2) our p&r defense sounds like the worst.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zach Lowe:

http://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/karen-b****-slap-o.gif

:grin:

Overrated team(I'll continue to say it)
    $20 million Tyson Chandler(At least his team knows how to throw lobs.)
    Don't play defense (or aren't very good at it or they don't care).
    Don't have the best coach.
    Pretenders: they look good for a first round exit. What's old is new again. Just like old times! :)

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't disagree with the article and it cites a lot of things why I think expectations are overblown for this Rockets team. We are good team but I don't think a championship caliber team, yet.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

pick to free howard. I like this. howard doesn't have many skill sets to beat his man by himself.

20. bmd

bmd Member

The thing is... these problems are fixable. It's not like the Rockets just don't have the talent and the players to be a great team. They do.

They just have to execute on the things they should be doing.

And that will come with time playing together.